DVDs and Blu Rays fairly inexpensive

I just thought I'd share this in case it was of interest. I came across this seller who has quite a few RB and other ballet/opera DVDs and Blu Rays with cheap starting prices on eBay. I managed to pick up the RB DQ from another seller for £4 a while back, so you might snag a bargain, especially as the RB Blu Rays normally go for £25+ new!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/eboi1975/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I've bought quite a few dvd's on ebay, and all of them have been fine except one. It was Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake and being sold in 'used but vgc' condition. When it came the case just didn't look right and it didn't play very well either. Definitely a bootleg one. I then had a look at the seller's history of sold items and guess what - several identical dvd's sold as nearly new, and loads of other titles as well. Really dodgy. The seller disappeared soon afterwards so I think they must have been reported by someone else.

I always check the seller's previously sold items now, before buying anything.

Incidentally, we still have a video player so if anyone has any old videos lying around and nothing to play them on any more, please let me know as I would be happy to make an offer. 

Nice to know I'm not the only dinosaur :) (I still have a combined DVDR/VCR - and, I was told in Maplins recently, they're highly in demand for some reason).

So envious of your having that - recently had to chuck many Videos as no longer have a working vcr.  Kept favourites with idea of finding somewhere to get them swapped into DVDs, but I gather it's quite pricey.

I think there are still some Panasonic ones available somewhere ... not cheap, of course, being Panasonic, but then, as you say, neither is getting them converted - and I'm not sure whether commercial companies will transfer things recorded off the TV, anyway.  There may possibly also be a Toshiba, although that may have bitten the dust by now.

I've bought quite a few dvd's on ebay, and all of them have been fine except one. It was Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake and being sold in 'used but vgc' condition. When it came the case just didn't look right and it didn't play very well either. Definitely a bootleg one. I then had a look at the seller's history of sold items and guess what - several identical dvd's sold as nearly new, and loads of other titles as well. Really dodgy. The seller disappeared soon afterwards so I think they must have been reported by someone else.

I always check the seller's previously sold items now, before buying anything.

Incidentally, we still have a video player so if anyone has any old videos lying around and nothing to play them on any more, please let me know as I would be happy to make an offer.

Typical, I threw out loads last week! Although I daresay you werent talking about Disney or Dr Who videos?!

I have combined video and dvd player and have successfully saved many treasured videos on to disc.

I have a combined DVD/VHS video player which thankfully still works. There's so many performances/documentaries and little features I have taped over the years which would be really difficult to track down. I have labelled the longer programmes but occasionally I come across an unmarked gem such as a very young Darcey Bussell on Blue Peter and Saturday Superstore - happy memories !

• Like 1

It might be quite expensive to get it done professionally, but from what I can gather it's quite an easy job to transfer VHS tapes to a computer nowadays.

Without looking into it in too much depth, you'll need a special cable that goes from your VHS player into your computer (cost c. £20). From there, you'll just need software that can understand the signal it's getting and convert it to something that can be saved on your computer. Without looking into it, I'm betting you can get a free piece of software from an enthusiast somewhere. Finally, if you want to watch them on DVD, you'll just need some DVD burning software, but a lot of computers come with that installed anyway, but if they don't it's probably only a few quid. So your outlay might be £30-40 tops (but probably nearer £20), but it does mean you can transfer to your heart's content!

Heh. Just googled it and look what I found: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/honestech-vhs-to-dvd-deluxe-a06jr?gclid=CJ2r3vHJ2L8CFQEXwwodKCkA1A

£30. Bish, bash, and to a certain extent, bosh. :)

• Like 6

I have labelled the longer programmes but occasionally I come across an unmarked gem such as a very young Darcey Bussell on Blue Peter and Saturday Superstore - happy memories !

Do tell - if you can - who was on Blue Peter with her? I have a feeling one of the boys was Stuart Cassidy, but am not sure about the others.

It might be quite expensive to get it done professionally, but from what I can gather it's quite an easy job to transfer VHS tapes to a computer nowadays.

Without looking into it in too much depth, you'll need a special cable that goes from your VHS player into your computer (cost c. £20). From there, you'll just need software that can understand the signal it's getting and convert it to something that can be saved on your computer. Without looking into it, I'm betting you can get a free piece of software from an enthusiast somewhere. Finally, if you want to watch them on DVD, you'll just need some DVD burning software, but a lot of computers come with that installed anyway, but if they don't it's probably only a few quid. So your outlay might be £30-40 tops (but probably nearer £20), but it does mean you can transfer to your heart's content!

Heh. Just googled it and look what I found: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/honestech-vhs-to-dvd-deluxe-a06jr?gclid=CJ2r3vHJ2L8CFQEXwwodKCkA1A

£30. Bish, bash, and to a certain extent, bosh. :)

Oh no! Just threw loads of old videos on skip in pre-house move clear out Think they're now buried under ancient mattresses and chair the labrador ate when he was a puppy. Thank goodness I saved all the ballet ones in hope I'd find a way of dealing with them.

Slightly off-topic, but for years I have been looking for a video/DVD of "Suzanne Farrell - Elusive Muse". Does anyone know where I could get hold of one? Ebay currently has one for the fist time in ages, but price + P&P is steep (it's in the USA).

• 3 weeks later...

Seems a useful place to post this:  if anyone's been contemplating the Mariinsky's bluray/dvd of Stravinsky & the Ballet Russes, then the ROH shop is currently selling the Bluray reduced to 19.99, which is a fiver or so cheaper than Amazon.  

This disc is worth it for the Firebird, with Kondaurova on great form.  Personally I wasn't so taken by the Sacre du Printemps, which is a historical reconstruction  - the costumes made me think 'Pocahontas in Albania' and for a ballet there isn't much ballet in it.  I'd love to see a bold contemporary interpretation - any suggestions of other recordings?