Assembles?

Ponyshine

I'm trying to make sure I know all the French terms before my Advanced 1 RAD exam!

I know what an assemble is, but I get a little confused with all the different types!

Could you give me a simple definition of each of the following (use videos if that helps you to explain):

- Assemble devant

- Assemble derriere

- Assemble dessus (over)

- Assemble dessous (under)

- Parallel assemble en evant & en tournant

- Petit assemble devant & derriere

Thanks very much in advance!

Hi Ponyshine, welcome to the forum! As far as I remember from my ballet days - and I will immediately bow to the vastly superior knowledge of the ballet teachers on the forum if I am wrong and apologise in advance if this is the case:-

Assembles devant use the front foot to 'swish' and land with the same foot still in front - the converse for assembles derrière.

Assembles dessus or over use the back foot to 'swish' and that back foot comes 'over' to finish at the front. Assembles dessous or under use the front foot to 'swish' and that front foot goes 'under' to finish at the back.

Assembles en avant move forwards rather than to the side and assembles en arriere move backwards rather than to the side.

Assembles en tournant are assembles performed whilst turning.

Petit assembles devant and derrière are what I always mentally labelled 'joining the feet' on a jump.

• Like 1

Shouldn't your teacher  be covering this?

She did give us some help, but there was so much that I couldn't remember everything. I am planning to ask her some terms, but I thought I'd see if I could work out some of the easier ones so as to save time in class.

Hi Ponyshine, welcome to the forum! As far as I remember from my ballet days - and I will immediately bow to the vastly superior knowledge of the ballet teachers on the forum if I am wrong and apologise in advance if this is the case:-

Assembles devant use the front foot to 'swish' and land with the same foot still in front - the converse for assembles derrière.

Assembles dessus or over use the back foot to 'swish' and that back foot comes 'over' to finish at the front. Assembles dessous or under use the front foot to 'swish' and that front foot goes 'under' to finish at the back.

Assembles en avant move forwards rather than to the side and assembles en arriere move backwards rather than to the side.

Assembles en tournant are assembles performed whilst turning.

Petit assembles devant and derrière are what I always mentally labelled 'joining the feet' on a jump.

Thanks - this helped! I'm still not quite sure what petit assembles are though...?

Petit assembles are just a little jump to get your feet into 5th (ie no swish like a normal assemble). Say you did glissade jete, you'd end one foot sur le cou de pied, you just do a little petit assemble to get your feet into 5th.

RAD inter - the sissies ordinaries exercise, doesn't that have petit assembles inbetween the sissones to get your feet to 5th?

Petit assembles are just a little jump to get your feet into 5th (ie no swish like a normal assemble). Say you did glissade jete, you'd end one foot sur le cou de pied, you just do a little petit assemble to get your feet into 5th.

RAD inter - the sissies ordinaries exercise, doesn't that have petit assembles inbetween the sissones to get your feet to 5th?

Thanks - that helped! I don't know the RAD Intermediate syllabus very well - I actually did IDTA intermediate.

Did you do an unset enchainement for your IDTA intermediate exam, Ponyshine? From my experience and DD's experience, in preparing for RAD intermediate foundation and upwards these terms would have become very familiar to you so that if they were part of the unset enchainement given by your examiner you would have had no problem demonstrating them. It must be difficult to switch from IDTA to RAD especially at this advanced stage -was there no possibility of your doing IDTA Advanced?

Did you do an unset enchainement for your IDTA intermediate exam, Ponyshine? From my experience and DD's experience, in preparing for RAD intermediate foundation and upwards these terms would have become very familiar to you so that if they were part of the unset enchainement given by your examiner you would have had no problem demonstrating them. It must be difficult to switch from IDTA to RAD especially at this advanced stage -was there no possibility of your doing IDTA Advanced?

Yes - I did have to do a number of unsets for Intermediate IDTA. I have found unsets quite hard previously because my brain likes to have time to fully understand what I have to do before I do it, but thankfully I managed fine in my Intermediate exam. Although many terms became familiar to me, there are some that I still forget, especially ones that get a little confusing.

I actually wanted to do RAD Advanced 1 because most of my life I'd done RAD until my previous teacher decided  to do Intermediate IDTA.  :)  Although Advanced 1 RAD is hard, I'm not completely foreign to RAD, so it's not too bad generally.

• Like 1

Not a complete shock to your system then ;) Wishing you all the best for your Advanced 1 exam - is it this year or are you studying the new Adv 1 with a view to doing the exam next year?

The plan is to complete old Advanced 1 this year - my exam is actually next Monday!! :)

The plan is to complete old Advanced 1 this year - my exam is actually next Monday!! :)

That's why I'm going through the RAD vocabulary lists and checking where there are gaps in my knowledge which I need to know quite quickly :)