Opinion about Lisa Howell´s books and products

tatballerina

Hello everyone!!! :D 

I would like to know your opinion about Lisa Howell´s products. I´ve read about them in other posts (and I want to get one) but I would like to know if they work, if the information is useful, etc.

I´m really interested in the one called "The perfect pointe".

Thanks in advance,

:) tatballerina  :) 

I asked my dd to write this post as she is the one using it. This is what she said.

"These books are fantastic. I particularly like Front Splits Fast. I have been using this program for the past few months and my flexibility has improved. Her books are amazing, very useful and easy to read. I recommend getting the video with the book. "

- my dd

Re "the perfect pointe"I would add that she is a firm believer in looking after your feet and encouraging correct alignment. She always take it back to basics.

I did Lisa's Perfect Pointe teachers training whilst she was in the UK and would say it would be great for students starting or soon to start pointe work or students struggling with strength on pointe or looking to strengthen feet in general. It's a good guide for teachers starting pupils off on pointe as well in my opinion.

My DD did the perfect pointe course with her own physiotherapist about one year before she started en pointe. Her feet and ankles are very flexible and so she needed to gain strength before starting pointe. She found that the course helped her to work out what areas she needed specifically work on, it is very structured (which m DD liked) and DD still does some of the exercises every day to maintain strength. There is almost too much information but it is easy to work out which exercises are appropriate and which are not.  

A few years later she received "front splits fast" as a present and this helped to improve her flexibility in front splits and overall. 

Although the products seem expensive I think they are value for money as following the program could prevent injury and also they help the dancer have a better understanding of their body. This has been the case with my DD I feel. 

I agree with Lucinda, we bought "front splits fast" last summer after reccomendations from this forum. My DD has gained much more understanding of how her body works and her flexibility has improved too. I think she has also increased her confidence to work on her own in a safe way. I think it was well worth the money because she will benefit for years to come from it. She hasnt used the point one because she has such strong feet and legs she didnt have any problems but I can only imagine it must be good.

Dramascientist

• Like 1

I only wish that w has made the decision 18 months ago to purchase Front Splits Fast as it might have saved a lot of heartache.

Dd began the programme just after Easter & achieved her splits just over a week ago. Her teacher (who knows LH )told her it was a money making scam but congratulated her on finally getting into her splits.

She had been stretching for 12 months but saw no improvement until she started Front Splits Fast.

Pictures, why do you think that your DD succeeded with this product when she had not managed to get into splits before? Or do you think that the stretching which she had done for the previous 12 months finally paid off? I'm thinking about purchasing this for my DD whose recreational ballet is probably going to come to an end soon because she just can't lift her leg high enough (not even to 90 degrees really), which would be a shame because she enjoys her ballet and is reasonably good at it. She slightly dreads the stretching session in her classes because she's miles away from getting into splits. She's now asked me to buy this DVD but I've held off because I was sceptical as to whether it could really yield results for her.

I am really excited that this sort of info is out there and I will be the proud owner of the DVD today (delivery at post office for me to collect). My DS has always struggled with flexibility, yet I could never understand it, he was always a flexible small child. No amount of stretching helped him, just made him sore and cross. He was a competition swimmer at a young age, and I was always amazed at how 'tight' the other swimmers were in their hamstrings, and always wondered if this was somehow responsible. A few weeks ago, when I was watching him stretch and I was asking him to explain what he felt and where, it struck me that it sounded as if it was a facia issue (I know a little about it, but not much). And had begin to consider taking him to a therapist - tricky thing is finding what I needed in deepest, darkest Lincolnshire! I am fascinated to see how this works - nothing else has - I have done stretching courses as part of my work, bought some highly recommended stretching books, and remained utterly flummoxed. We start it as a project today and I will take photographic evidence. I will keep you posted of any improvements.

• Like 4

You can go online and look at her website 'the ballet blog' and perfect form physio. There is quite a bit of free information there without purchasing products which will be of interest to many.

That's great, thank you. I'll have a look now!

It's just a completely different approach. It's like her previous stretching was having no effect.

The progress was so rapid once she started.

Are you able to give any examples of the kind of thing that a student is asked to do to help with splits?