ENBS Graduate Destinations

Ellie

They have not really been taken into the RB. It is a one year placement which provides opportunities to dance with the corps of the RB under a newly established apprenticeship scheme. I don't know what the chances are of getting a permanent contract with the RB at the end of the year.

• Like 3

How interesting,that 2 of them have been taken into the RB.I thought the RB only ever recruited from the Graduates at the RBS.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/promotions-joiners-and-leavers-at-the-royal-ballet

As is explained on the ROH website under "News": it is a new Apprentice scheme called "The Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme". This scheme provides an opportunity for up to six recently graduated dancers to receive a year’s contract to work alongside the corps de ballet of The Royal Ballet.  In addition the dancers will be offered mentoring and coaching and have an opportunity to perform with the Company. 

Many companies in Europe have Apprentice Schemes. It allows a young graduate to experience life as a professional dancer for a year but it is not the same contract as is offered to dancers joining the Corps de Ballet as an  "Artist" (Junior Corps rank).

Five new dancers are joining as "Artists" in the 2014/15 Season , two of them from the RBS already joined during the 2013/14Season.

Five are joining as "Apprentice" (two of them from RBS)

• Like 1

I don't know. The apprentice scheme is an interesting development at the RB. Many companies do have junior companies and I wonder whether this apprentice scheme is the beginning of something similar at the RB. It was interesting to see the junior company of DNB a couple of months ago. There they don't just support the main company but have their own repertoire and their own performances. After one year they go into the main company for a year.

Edited by aileen

The Dutch National Ballet Junior Company members are paid but it is not very much.

In the case of the RB, Aud Jebsen's sponsorship presumably extends to paying the 'apprentices' enough to get by in London.

It is good that the ENB School has announced its graduate's contract this year and that so many of them have been successful in securing positions.