Live streaming of Nicolas Le Riche's POB Farewell Performance ... 9.7.14

Wednesday 9 July 2014 à 19h30  (330 pm Eastern time)

Program: Les Forains (Roland Petit),
Excerpts from:
Bal des cadets (David Lichine)
Raymonda (Rudolf Noureev),
Caligula (Nicolas Le Riche),
pas de deux from Appartement (Mats Ek)
L’Après-midi d’un faune (Vaslav Nijinski),  
Le Jeune Homme et la Mort (Roland Petit),
Boléro (Maurice Béjart).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Opera de Paris has confirmed that star Nicolas Le Riche's farewell performance will be live streamed worldwide on
www.operadeparis.fr   It will also be streamed on Arte Concert: http://concert.arte....lopera-de-paris

It appears that Sylvie Guillem will be appearing at some juncture in this evening's celebration of this great artist who has been with POB for 30 years.  

Wednesday 9 July 2014 à 19h30 (18.30 GMT) 

Programme

Les Forains (Roland Petit),

Excerpts from:
Bal des cadets (David Lichine)
Raymonda (Rudolf Noureev),
Caligula (Nicolas Le Riche),
pas de deux from Appartement (Mats Ek)
LAprès-midi dun faune (Vaslav Nijinski),
Le Jeune Homme et la Mort (Roland Petit),
Boléro (Maurice Béjart).

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Everything is fine here. There`s an intermission now.

I liked the tentative beginning, it looked improvised, didn´t care too much about the song but the guitar solo was nice.

But I am very impressed by the faune, have never seen it before on stage, how beautiful the decor is. Want a nymphe`s dress now.

Who danced the Arabian from Raymonda, was it Dorothée Gilbert? And who was the man?

Hope there will be credits in the end.

interesting presentation - no attempt to fill in the - quite long - intermissions with pre-filmed items.  Maybe we should try it here?  Would do away with inane presenters (who shall be nameless!)

Le Riche is truly magnificent as le Jeune Homme.

This is turning into balletco.forum on twitter!!!!

• Like 1

Everything is fine here. There`s an intermission now.

I liked the tentative beginning, it looked improvised, didn´t care too much about the song but the guitar solo was nice.

But I am very impressed by the faune, have never seen it before on stage, how beautiful the decor is. Want a nymphe`s dress now.

Who danced the Arabian from Raymonda, was it Dorothée Gilbert? And who was the man?

Hope there will be credits in the end.

I think Abderakhman was Stephane Bullion.

Wonderful.  Nicolas Le Riche went out with that same class he has so long graced us all with .... and a huge helping of that savoir faire that has always been hallmark to his uniquely generous state of play.  We will not see his particular like again.  Merci beaucoup. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

Unfortunately, I missed the Ek pdd. What was it like? I found the first couple of pieces a bit strange. It was interesting to see a part of Raymonda that we don't see in the UK. The choreography in Le Jeune Homme seemed a bit different to that in the versions performed by Kings of the Dance and by ENB. Whilst it's great to see this online, and the Bolero, I don't think that the pieces have the same impact when you're not there in the theatre, in part because you don't get the full effect of the orchestra. All the POB men seemed to be very skinny. Is it normal for (male) dancers' ribs to be so visible?

• Like 1

At least with the recording you may be able to skip the lengthy intervals, which were far longer that they had announced they would be.

If you want to see him dance again he’ll be in a programme of five ballets at the Théâtre des Champs-Elysées in Paris on 4 and 5 November. This includes "Odyssée", which he has choreographed & in which he will dance with his wife, Clairemarie Osta

For details see   - http://www.theatrechampselysees.fr/danse/danse/carte-blanche-a-nicolas-le-riche?from_calendar=1

He’ll be back at the same theatre in March 2015, involved with an opera, « Solaris » by Dai Fujikura.

After his 42nd birthday in January Nicolas was obliged to retire under POB rules and gave an interview where he was said to be angry that after being with the national company and the school before that for a total of 35 years, he was not offered a post of any kind. He is now studying at Sciences Po on a management & leadership course.

He did a tour with a show called Itinérances in France earlier in the year, visiting Amiens, Blagnac, Cannes, Aix, etc, with a group  of fellow étoiles, including Leonora ­Abbagnato, Isabelle Ciavarola, and his wife. Choreographer Russell Maliphant was involved. He came to London too, of course. His last main role was as Quasimodo in Notre-Dame de Paris in June, where he received another 20 minute standing ovation..  

At least with the recording you may be able to skip the lengthy intervals, which were far longer that they had announced they would be.

I haven't watched it yet but there has been much discussion on the French website Dansomanie about the reason for the length of the second interval.  If I have understood it correctly, it would appear that the first item in the third part of the programme  was not included in the streaming.  This was the pas de deux from Mats Ek's Appartement in which Le Riche was joined by Sylvie Guillem.

For Petunia... Yes it was Dorothee Gilbert in Raymonda.  She has been off recovering from injury for some time and has not yet returned to dancing full time.. She appeared as a favour to Le Riche but unfortunately she was not really up to form.  Stephane Bullion danced the role of Abderam, as the name is styled in the Nureyev production

Edited by stucha

I haven't watched it yet but there has been much discussion on the French website Dansomanie about the reason for the length of the second interval.  If I have understood it correctly, it would appear that the first item in the third part of the programme  was not included in the streaming.  This was the pas de deux from Mats Ek's Appartement in which Le Riche was joined by Sylvie Guillem.

Really ? What a shame...