EYB Woking

Lemongirl

On the paperwork it says rehearsal venue to be confirmed, so I'm assuming they will let everyone know nearer the time. Same thing happened with Oxford last year.

Edited to add - we could do with finding out, as dd might have to catch the train from London on Saturdays after associates. Otherwise it's going to be fun!

Edited by taxi4ballet

Good luck Lemongirl - or should it be the pips? ;-)

My DDs looking at EYB. A girl in DD1's class at school is doing it. Judging by the videos, the standard's not that high (eg. compared with LCB), so chances of getting in much be pretty good, but being based in (North) London, it's unusual to find them in such "out of the way places" ;-)

I presume it's too late to apply now for 2014 anyway?

Must hunt around for other EYB threads on the forum...

Judging by the videos, the standard's not that high (eg. compared with LCB), so chances of getting in much be pretty good, but being based in (North) London, it's unusual to find them in such "out of the way places" ;-)

I presume it's too late to apply now for 2014 anyway?

Well, perhaps you're not really comparing like with like. LCB rehearses for months. Considering that the EYB rehearsals only take 11 days I think they work miracles in such a short time.

Edited to add: All the auditions for 2014 performances have finished now.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 2

Well no, but as taxi says, they are very different companies. People come from all over the country to audition for LCB, and the number of places in LCB's main company is fewer, especially when compared with the number of auditionees.

EYB travel all over the country so the number of overall places vs auditionees is completely different to LCB. There have always been over 100 auditionees for 50 senior places (and the same for Junior places) every time my dd has auditioned. So your chances at EYB are roughly 50/50 but they won't take people just to make up the numbers.

• Like 1

When my DD auditioned for LCB I think that they took about 9 girls from each age group. I think that the company is about 50 and several hundred audition. Certainly students come from far afield. You can see this from the bios in the programme. Another thing to remember is that vocational students also audition and get parts (unfairly in my personal opinion, but let's not debate this as we've discussed this before).The children who tend to get cast are those students who do ballet quite seriously ie a lot of lessons a week - the rejection letter which my DD received (at 9) referred to applicants lacking core strength. In contrast I've know several good but not outstanding recreational dancers get parts in EYB.

In contrast I've know several good but not outstanding recreational dancers get parts in EYB.

Whereas I, on the other hand, can think of the names of at least 30 talented EYB dancers off the top of my head, who are all current/former associates; many of whom have now gone on to full-time training and are studying at the top vocational schools.

• Like 2

I'm sorry if my comment came across as critical. It wasn't meant to be. I was trying to make the point that competition for LCB is particularly fierce (as evidenced by the number of students who audition - in the hundreds) and less so for EYB which it is possible to get into without being an associate somewhere or a 'serious' dancer ie one who attends several classes a week. I'm sure that lots of children who have danced with EYB have gone onto vocational schools and so have lots of children who have danced with LCB. I wasn't suggesting that EYB doesn't perform at a high standard but was trying to explain the difference between the competition for places in EYB and LCB. It's generally easier to get a place in EYB because fewer children apply as ballets are performed round the country.

EYB is lovely experience my DDs did Nutcracker about 5 yrs ago.I would say LCB is more difficult to get into especially as lots more DC apply at one time, my youngest DD was accepted for EYB and had only just started ballet ! But with LCB first time she got nowhere then 2 yrs later got through to casting but no further , on the casting day she said there was so much talent. EYB also has lovely dancers and the students that do main parts are very good and quite a few are from vocational schools. Both EYB and LCB are good experiences.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if some dancers have the view of Groucho Marx - and wouldn't want to audition for a company that would have them? ;-)

I am getting the impression that EYB performers have a wider range of ability than LCB, and good on them for that!

I know that the girl who auditioned for LCB alongside DD1 is now at the RBS.

In terms of EYB in the London area, do they tend to stick to Woking/Crawley/Bromley(?) or do they ever venture North of the river?

Edited by thewinelake

On the "About EYB" section on their website it  specifically says "Bringing an opportunity to young dancers outside London..." though to someone like me who thinks that Birmingham is in the deep south some of the venues do sound like London :lol:. But anyway, I guess that explains why there are not many productions in the London area. I have always assumed that this is because there are already so many different opportunities and schemes for young dancers in and around London that Miss Lewis has specifically chosen to take EYB out to different regions. This seems to make commercial sense as well as giving a lot of different children an opportunity they wouldn't otherwise have. My DD and several of her friends really look forward to the roughly alternate years when there is an EYB production within 150 miles of our home so I think it is brilliant that they travel to so many different places - there is nothing similar in our region. I am currently refreshing the "Audition Dates" page on the EYB website at approximately 10 minute intervals in fact as it says that audition details for 2015 will be out "soon".  Keeping all my fingers crossed for a venue that we can do this year as last year was  big disappointment.

Edited by Pups_mum
  • Like 5

Yes, nothing within travelling distance for us since 2012. Oddly there seemed to be several in a reasonably small area this year, unfortunately not anywhere we could get to. Oh for the days of Stevenage! :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where people are that are hoping for something more local but I called EYB a couple of weeks ago to find out plans / how it worked. Janet Lewis told me they are doing Bradford next year, so that's pretty close for us and I suspect a few others on here, hurray!!! She just said to look out for audition dates on the website.

Oh - Its Swan Lake in Aylesbury... funny that, as last year they did it in Oxford not all that far away, and lots of people who do the Aylesbury ones were in it. Don't know whether they will be wanting to do it again. April is right in the middle of GCSE's too.