Vocational school summer shows

Luvlyfballet6

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rehearsals start quite late in the year compared to my daughters previous schools. In the first two years each teacher will chereograph their own pieces. First and second years have their own teachers per subject. All student are in the contemporary piece in their own year, and there will be two casts. Regarding ballet for the last two years 2013 and 2014 there has been two casts again, so I think all student are used again but this is not guaranteed. Spanish in first year only selected students and for jazz in secon year again two casts and nearly all students. None of the students are sure if they are in a piece until near the production. I think rehearsals start after Easter but don't forget Central only have two years to choreograph for and grads already have their pieces organised. Starting rehearsal later means full training can continue at it's full level.

• Like 1

Ok, have partly answered my own question by looking on the Central Ballet as School website:

17th, 18th and matinee of 19th, Central Ballet School. 19th in the evening Ballet Central.

Presumably there would have been some BC dances in the school show too and I see from a post that the associates had the opportunity to dance too, how lovely.

If anyone can answer my question 'do all students get the chance to perform in the end of year show' that would be helpful thank you.

Only students from the senior school dance in the show. I think a long time ago they used associates

This year the top class associates performed a dance at the Ballet Central schools' matinee on Friday. The Learning and Participation Manager said that this hadn't happened for a few years but that she hoped it would become a regular thing.

It certainly was a lovely and invaluable performance experience for the Pre-Seniors who I thought danced beautifully. :-)

• Like 5

Excellent end of year show this year at The Hammond and i was surprised not to to see any commentary,  as the quality of this years show was in my opinion one of the 'tops' .....so for what its worth, here goes my entirely personal and non professional perspective of the two shows i watched and thoroughly enjoyed:)

The show was split into 3 acts this year: Act 1 featured 2 classical and 1 contemporary ballet piece from the Upper and Lower Dance Students, Act 2 was devoted to lower school performances only, featuring a range of Classical, Contemporary, Jazz, Tap and Musical Theatre performances and Act 3 featured the Upper School with the same range of genres, as described in Act 2. I thought the 3 act show was a brilliant idea and i particularly liked 3 medium sized individual ballet acts featured in the first act rather than one longer piece.

1st Act comprised edited highlights of;

Giselle: Choreographed by Jane Elliott and danced by selected Upper School Dance Students from across the range of the 3 year course, the girls coped incredibly well with the gruelling graveyard scene repertoire, which always has me wincing with the sheer effort of the lined formation piece with veils, although it was a bit of a shame to see only highlights chosen that led to the featuring of just 1 boy? Some parents of boys must have been disappointed with this arrangement, not to mention the boys themselves?

Orchestriana: A delightful classical piece choregraphed by Antonia Barron and Hana Gosling and danced by the entire lower school (quite a challenge that but everyone did get featured), although inevitably with such a large cast, not everyone was given an opportunity to demonstrate their skills, progress or capability.

Social Progress: Choreographed by Anthea Garratt - Ms Garratts Choreography is always a real treat, she certainly knows how to chose emotionally charged music that gets the audience entirely hooked and its clear how much the students love and energetically rise to the tribal nature of her distinct and recognisable choreographic style - i didn't want this piece to end!

2nd Act comprised;

Entree: A classical Entree opened the 2nd Act, which set the tone with an impressive and stirring start, involving the entire lower school. I don't think any parent can watch such a thing without feeling emotional and proud of every child in every year perform something so very grown up and professional as this and to see them all so beautifully coordinated on a stage together at the end.

There were 8 accomplished and thoroughly entertaining dances in this Act and 1 musical theatre piece. The three that stole the show for me were; Salvage Our Future, a contemporary piece choreographed by Chrissie Eccleston-Tuoghy and movingly performed by all year 10 students, I Am On My Way, a musical theatre piece from 'Violet' the Musical, directed by Toni Cummings and performed with total conviction and professionalism by the whole of year 10 and 11 - not a dry eye in the house from any of the departing year 11 students parents here and Anything Goes, a rousing, show stopping tap number choregraphed by Chrissie Ecclesston-Tuoghy and Wendy Lockwood, that made you want to jump right out of your seat ....and we did, as this one led to a standing ovation from many overwhelmed year 10 and 11 parents mid show on the last night! 

3rd Act comprised;

8 thoroughly entertaining and professional dances. Particular highlights for me were Haunted, a contemporary piece that opened the act, performed by the Year 2 Upper School students, Choreographed by Tracy Baxter, Tea Party a very imaginative and clever, witty street dance piece performed by selected upper dance students across they 3 years and choreographed by Emma Jane Thomas, Hot Rock, a jazz piece performed by selected students across the 3 years which merged into a clever Finale choreographed by David Needham, who certainly knows a thing or two about creating thoroughly entertaining, foot tapping and hand clapping end to a show, guaranteed to brings an emotionally drained audience to its feet for one last hurrah! 

Well done Maggie Evans and the Hammond team, we loved it all, there wasn't a disappointing number in the show actually, it was all terrific, but these are just a few of my thoughts and favourites, for those who want to know more about the Hammond :)

All best wishes to Hammond staff, students and parents for a well deserved Summer Break

Black Swan

• Like 3

Hi  Miracle,

I thought Peer Pressure, Choregraphed by Esther Cameron, Mary Sheath and Will'O'Donnell was a beautifully created, age sensitive, story telling GCSE dance piece that IMO should be a straight 'A'. I nearly mentioned how much i also loved the simplicity of the Gasoline Alley piece featuring David Needhams Choreography and two Senior Males Students (Sorry don't know why but no names mentioned in the programme, which is a real shame as they were worth an individual mention). I love anything that brings a true masculine flavour to mens dancing a duet and think the football/world cup connection was very salient and clever!

What did you think?

• Like 1

Hi Black Swan - I'm glad you enjoyed the Hammond show - so did I!!  As far as Giselle is concerned, different boys danced that role for each performance so more than one did get to perform it and I believe they chose act 2 of Giselle specifically for the girls as they had needed the extra boys from the dance course for West Side Story 2 weeks earlier.  Year 2 & 3 girls were not in West Side but the ballet instead. - Ribbons I enjoyed Peer Pressure.  the other choreography piece in act 3 was actually Stilhed with all the girls in black rather than the sporty one for the 2 boys.  The girl who choreographed that is obviously very talented as her piece was chosen last year too.

• Like 1

Also wanted to add that Tea Party and Hot rock were both graduate dance numbers with 2 1st years filling in for students who had already secured contracts and left in Tea Party and 2nd years replacing them in Hot Rock.  And I know what you mean about 'I am on my way' - so emotional

• Like 1

I didn't like the football piece but I thought it was danced excellently & the two lads put their all into it.

I loved the Tea Party dance.

I really liked Orchestrianna & thiught the lower school had loads of energy & personality but didn't really get Giselle. I'm sure it was danced excellently, it just didn't appeal to me.