New English Ballet Theatre - Tryst: Devotion and Betrayal

Definitely worth a trip to the Peacock, the theatre with possibly the worst sound system in London.

I rather loved the Kreutzer Sonata, enormously well danced by the leads and with a story so coherently told you barely need to spend time puzzling out what is going on; instead you can sink straight in the emotional maelstrom unfolding on stage. Duets full of tension and raging jealousy, tender moments and the best upside-down kiss I have seen. The gent behind me was gasping with delight from time to time, and I can only agree.

The other standout for me was Kristen McNally's Mad Women. Funny with a touch of surreal, with excellent coquettery from the gorgeous dancers. I'm sure some of the eyelash fluttery created a light breeze in the theatre. Christina Cecchini's character was larger than life and she just oozed stage presence. This was the first piece by Kristen McNally I've seen, and I fervently hope that I get to see a lot more of her choreography. Love her free movements and distinct style without the mannerisms that seem to sneak into a lot of modern pieces.

Orbital Motions might have been a tad to long for me, but I loved the idea, the gorgeous swirly motions and fast solos. Definitely a piece to showcase the male talent.

Wish I bought a programme....

Edited by Coated

Was at the rehearsal - here are a couple of photos to whet the appetite!

14374795329_8979dc716d_z.jpg
NEBT: Orbital Motion (Company dancers)
© Dave Morgan. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

14538296556_97ca0b633a_z.jpg
NEBT: Mad Women (Company ladies)

14374693210_4d3febf7e6_z.jpg
NEBT: The Kreutzer Sonata (Hayley Blackburn, Joshua Barwick)

See more...
Set from DanceTabs: NEBT - Tryst: Devotion and Betrayal
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 3

Here are my pictures from the general rehearsal.

NEBT%2B-%2BJuly%2B2014_014_tangents_suge

Viktor Sugeng - piano, Justine Wisznia and Gyorgy Baan in Daniela Cardim Fonteyne's Tangents 

NEBT%2B-%2BJuly%2B2014_152_toca_diubaldo

Ludovico Di Ubaldo and Christina Cecchina in Erico Montes's Toca 

NEBT%2B-%2BKreutzer%2BJuly%2B2014_210_so

Silas Stubbs - husband and Hayley Blackburn - wife in Andrew McNichol's Kreutzer Sonata 

• Like 1