Pas de Quatre

Congratulations to White Lodge graduates

http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2014/06/congratulations-year-11-graduates/

RBS have just announced that 29 dancers have graduated this year with 20 of them continuing their training at RBS Upper School.  This is many more than in recent years!  The announcement also says that the others will continue their training at other prestigious establishments.

Well done everyone! 

• Like 9

Is the increasing number of dancers progressing to upper school a trend and, if so, why? Has the training changed? Is selection and, dare I say it, assessing out 'better' at identifying and keeping those dancers who have the best chance of getting into the upper school and getting a contract at the end of it? Or has something changed at the upper school? - they are getting noticeably more graduates into the RB. Alternatively, are fewer overseas students applying to the upper school?  

This always was the golden year group, outstanding and They are exquisite! I believe 9 or 10 of the girls have an US place and at least 9 of them started in year 7 but I am relying on second hand info! I do not know about the boys but they are superb. Congratulations to them all.

I did hear (but this is second hand knowledge) that there is a year at WL who have never had anyone assessed out along the way.  I suspect that this may be that year - amazing news for all of them:)

Is the increasing number of dancers progressing to upper school a trend and, if so, why? Has the training changed? Is selection and, dare I say it, assessing out 'better' at identifying and keeping those dancers who have the best chance of getting into the upper school and getting a contract at the end of it? Or has something changed at the upper school? - they are getting noticeably more graduates into the RB. Alternatively, are fewer overseas students applying to the upper school?

Nothing has really changed, it is just the variability of one year group to the next. There are 9 girls whereas the norm is about 7. The big difference this year is that 11 boys are through which is a lot more than usual.

• Like 2

A new Artistic Director, Christopher Powney, started at the beginning of this term, so it may well be his new policy.

Auditions for Upper School were completed in March before he arrived.

Well he may have visited, but really don't think there has been any change of policy before he officially started in post. More likely that without Gailene Stock's incredibly discerning eye, a few extra students may have been taken through.

I think this year is incredibly strong,they really are exceptional dancers - wishing them all the best at Upper School and beyond. 

• Like 1

I agree - they're "just" a really good year.  Congratulations to all - I hope they realise how lucky they are (not just luck of course, but you know what I mean)

• Like 5

How uncharitable to imply that some of those moving to Upper School aren't good enough.  And further to imply that whether Christopher Powney were involved or not, that Jay Jolley (Acting Director in the interim) and the rest of the audition panel weren't discerning enough!

This was supposed to be a joyful thread celebrating the success of young dancers, not a nit-picking one!

Edited to add last sentence.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
  • Like 3

Jack Niklaus was once asked why it was he was so lucky during one particular golf match. He replied with the old quote "yes, I was lucky. I find the harder I work, the luckier I get"

Congratulations to all graduates, with my 'incredibly discerning eye' I can see that they all have a great future ahead of them.

• Like 3

Why is it that when a post might not be as clear as it could be, some people on this forum always assume the most negative interpretation of a post to cause trouble?

And what a conclusion to leap to, that a new director of a school would be able to change 'the policy' before he even started.....Not that 'the policy' needs changing because the policy is always to choose the best dancers they can find regardless of where they come from.

And I was not for one minute suggesting that some are not good enough - how ridiculous! I was just politely trying to say that miss Stock had some very specific ideas of what she wanted which may have been different this year.

And while we are at it, why is nobody concerned about how many Elmhurst lower school school pupils got through to Elmhurst Upper School?

Heavens above - I totally give up with this forum!

And while we are at it, why is nobody concerned about how many Elmhurst lower school school pupils got through to Elmhurst Upper School?

Is there reason to be concerned?

I'm interested but I don't know if that information has been released. If anyone knows, please start a new thread because i'm sure i'm not the only one who would like to know!

Also, do we know how many US graduates have secured contracts so far? (From any school)

A couple of dancers from the RBS are joining BRB as artists and a dancer from Elmhurst is joining as a maternity cover; details can be found in BRB's press release about promotions, leavers and joiners.

Can we keep this thread about WL graduates please? It's easier to find information that way.

Thanks.