Tring 6th form academic study

taxi4ballet

You can do a maximum of 4.

If you have a DADA you are also required to study for a diploma called IPS (integrated Professional Studies) not sure what level this is but it is comprehensive and time consuming.

Dd is taking 3 a levels and IPS. I would suggest that this is quite a heavy workload when added to the demands for time required by dancing. However, if you are committed 4 is possible but there is little scope for much else.

Some dancers at Tring do not take any A Levels and some do the full 4, and then there is every combination in between! So I would say there is no "usual".

Some start off taking a combination of subjects and then don't always continue with them.

My advice is to ask your child what they want to do and if they are academic hard working and committed 4 is possible but if they find academic work challenging they have a choice.

If you do not do academic studies then you are expected to do more dance classes.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

Agree. My dd took just one A Level ( get to keep child benefit as long as one took!) That allows her to do most of the morning classes with 2nd and 3rd years. Some of her friends took 3 and along with IPS its a fair bit of work. Most dropping one going into next year. But like encarte says its up to you and dd. We do know a few taking the full 4 and they are doing fine, they are gifted with academics too and coping fine.

also dont think that you are tied in. We know of dancers who sign up for A Levels then decided it wasnt for them and dropped out after the first term.

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

Yes I agree with ecarte and guesty, it all depends on your child, how they cope with academics & how much they want to participate in extra morning dance classes as well. My dd started off doing 2 A levels, but dropped one by Oct half term. Firstly, because she wasn't enjoying it & secondly so she could join in more of the optional extra dance classes with the year groups above her.

• Like 2

Yes I agree with ecarte and guesty, it all depends on your child, how they cope with academics & how much they want to participate in extra morning dance classes as well. 

Well, given the choice between sitting in a classroom and dancing...  Er... ;)

• Like 2

I think when you look at Tring and Hammond, timetabling is the key factor rather than workload that limits the number of A levels.They organise their timetables differently.  At Hammond  A level slots are in everyones timetables - its not a choice between "sitting in a classroom and dancing" as taxi4ballet puts it.  You do not have the option of extra optional dance classes if you choose not to do A levels. 

Edited by 2dancersmum

My dd started doing 3 'A' Levels and IPS. She found it hard work and we hadn't realised just how busy their days are and how little time they have for studying. Also when it got to the 'AS' level exams this June they did not get study leave like normal schools, much to the disappointment of my dd !! Also they were rehearsing for the year end show. My daughter has now decided to drop one subject so that she has more time to go to morning dance classes.

It's a tough decision whatever you decide. The teachers will help with anyone who is unsure of their choices in the first week of term.

• Like 2