Tough times at vocational school

Mumontherun

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do feel that the 'bullying' which goes on in regular secondary school is quiet different to the behaviour in schools where children board.  It has a lot to do with the fact children cant 'escape' the behaviour and often the incidents are so minor it isnt behaviour which could be repremanded but lots of little incidents can make for a very uncomfotable time at vocational school. 

It is difficult for a houseparent to respond to a situation with little evidence coupled with an over baring parent on the phone who cant believe their child would/could behave in such a way etc, whereas another parent is more laid back, often children are encouraged to smooth things out rather than dealing with issues.  The problem also lies in that they have to learn to accept others behaviour standards - this varies hugely and compromise is difficult for some children.  Yes its all a learning curve and mixing with people from all walks of life is very important, although I'm sure we all work with people we wouldn't share a meal table or a house with but we can walk away at the end of the day and return to our comfort zone - these children cant. 

For me its all about sacrifice - what is my child prepared to scacrifice in terms of morals, opinions etc., just to fit in.  Anyone considering vocational education please look at the whole picture not just the glossy brochure and policies - there are so many options now, do what is right for your child and your family.

• Like 8

The other big thing to consider is the difficulties a non boarding child can have in a predominantly boarding school.

Whilst that child does get the escape of coming home every night it is very easy to feel out ofvthe loop, secrets are kept, cliques are formed & on the occasions a child does perhaps stay over there can be a feeling amongst some children that it is 'their boarding house' & the non boarder is an intruder.

Saying that my dd loves it when she is able to board & I do feel guilty that it is not possible all year round v

• Like 3