The interval ice cream review thread

Well, I did say I was going to start an ice cream review thread, so here it is! :)

Venue  Royal Albert Hall

Date  22nd June 2014

Production  ENB's Romeo & Juliet

Ice creamerer  Häagen Dazs

Flavour scoffed   Belgian Chocolate

Price  £3.50

At £3.50, this was about par for the course, but probably not too bad for London prices. The tub was of a reasonable size, without that misleading 'raised bottom' that some interval ice cream tubs - and Hollywood movie stars - have. The flavour was rich and chocolatey, but I'm not convinced by the 'real Belgian chocolate pieces' (their description). The 'pieces' were too microscopic to be accurately identified by taste buds, so just ended up adding slight gritty texture to the product. When it comes to chocolate chips, the motto should always be 'go big or go home', Mr Dazs. Still, this didn't detract from what was a most enjoyably rich overall flavour and reasonable value.

As an aside, the only other options were strawberry and vanilla. I'd like to see some more varied and imaginative options available. Tastes are changing, and if you ask me, any theatre that doesn't offer something like a rocket and parmesan sorbet is beginning to look a little old fashioned. ;)

Overall score: 7/10

Eaten any good (or otherwise) ice creams at the theatre recently? Do review them here! :)

Edited by BristolBillyBob
  • Like 11

Agreed about the off-puttingly gritty texture of the chocolate ice cream.  Bruce staggered that RAH ice creams cost more than ROH ones.  Nice flavour, though.

If anyone fancies rocket and parmesan sorbet I'm sure they can get it, or something like it, at the Fat Duck at Bray. Probably cost a bit more, though.  And I think I'll stick with the chocolate, gritty or otherwise. 

• Like 1

Bruce staggered that RAH ice creams cost more than ROH ones. 

Really?  Been in any unsubsidised theatres recently, Bruce?  You might be shocked.  I think I saw £4.50 being asked somewhere :(

I must admit that I'm very disappointed with the range on offer from H-D, which is why I don't usually buy them.  There is a special H-D shop at circle level, which adds Strawberry Cheesecake and Cookies and Cream, I think it was, but little else, so the overall impression is still very much the ubiquitous chocolate/strawberry/vanilla, as it was when I started going to the theatre 30 or more years ago!  I'm not fond of the US habit, increasingly prevalent over here, of sticking additional sugary bits of food into ice-cream.

Okay: ROH sells Critierion ice-cream.  They're the local ice-cream manufacturers for South-East London - I remember eating them in the local park when I was still in single figures.  Perfectly okay, but not a huge favourite of mine, and my main objection is that the ROH sells such a limited selection of flavours.  If you want to see a far fuller range, go to Sadler's Wells, where, apart from anything else they are 50 p cheaper.  Result: I scarcely ever buy ice-cream at the ROH, but invariably buy it at Sadler's (and that's not a price issue, just a flavour issue).

Birmingham Hippodrome has gone onto a new supplier called Bard's: on the basis of the one I had last week, I can't tell the difference between them and Beechdean.

The Orchard in Dartford, and a lot of ATG theatres, such as Wimbledon, do sell Beechdean, but unfortunately not the Sticky Toffee Fudge, which is the only one I really like.  I had the mint choc chip the other day, and all the bits of choc were on the top, not mixed in with the ice-cream.  Had the strawberry at the local Odeon when I went to see the Royal Ballet a couple of months ago - simply because I was totally desperate because the air-con had failed.  It was as disgustingly bland as I remembered.  And the Double Choc Chip in my experience should be prosecuted under the Trades Descriptions Act in my book: it's a single choc chip, not a double one (the implication being that you get choc chip *and* double chocolate).

Mind you, of course, I'd only ever be really happy if a law was passed so that everyone had to sell Mövenpick, but there you are :)

• Like 4

I like the Loseley acacia honey and ginger (or any other icecream with ginger in it - let's face it, anything with ginger in it!).  I prefer a smooth to a bitty chocolate tub and I love a nice strawberry too.

I also like Magnums and suchlike but I have to be careful not to get chocolate all over me!

• Like 4

I rarely eat ice cream as I get a nasty pain where my ex-gallbladder once was, but the RAH auditorium was so hot and stuffy on Sunday that dd and I did each have an ice cream. Like Bristol BB I plumped for the chocolate and was shocked at having to pay £3.50 for such a tiny tub. Mind you, the miniscule portion size was quite enough for me and I didn't suffer any ill-effects. Those tiny grains of chocolate were a bit disappointing, mind. DD enjoyed her Strawberry one.

I would like theatres to add sorbet or frozen yoghurt to their selection though, for those of us sans gallbladder. :-) And if anyone wants sorbet ideas, I quite fancy apple & elderflower.

Can't comment on ROH ice cream as IIRC you are only allowed to eat it in the auditorium during Welcome Performances. I can't get out to the bar quickly enough during the interval (that is if I can move at all) so by the time I made it out on my crutches and bought an ice cream, the wretched bell would ring. :-D

Excellent thread, btw.

• Like 4

Well, for a mango sorbet - which my daughter loves (I don't think that I ate a mango until I was about 32) - you have to go to the Coliseum whose food offerings are, IMO, otherwise disappointing. Sadler's Wells does lemon sorbet and some kind of frozen yoghurt, I recollect. 

• Like 3

Well, for a mango sorbet - which my daughter loves (I don't think that I ate a mango until I was about 32) - you have to go to the Coliseum whose food offerings are, IMO, otherwise disappointing. Sadler's Wells does lemon sorbet and some kind of frozen yoghurt, I recollect. 

They also do the mango sorbet.  I agree, it's gorgeous, but then it *is* Alphonse mango sorbet.  The frozen yoghurt is blackcurrant.

• Like 1

Well, I did say I was going to start an ice cream review thread, so here it is! :)

Tastes are changing, and if you ask me, any theatre that doesn't offer something like a rocket and parmesan sorbet is beginning to look a little old fashioned. ;)

Overall score: 7/10

I once made a garlic ice cream to serve with a rather posh seafood platter.  It was a great success except it rather overshadowed the following main course.

Eaten any good (or otherwise) ice creams at the theatre recently? Do review them here! :)

• Like 1

There's a new popup ice cream parlour in a container in the Somerset House courtyard. Part of an American franchise (Churn). Their gimmick it to produce ice cream on the spot using liquid nitrogen - seems very creamy and pleasant. The ultra-rapid freezing prevents large crystals from forming, hence it's smoother than usual ice cream - that seems to be the story. Only two flavours when I visited though I think they change.

P.S. In case you wonder what this has to do with interval ice cream, getting to and from Somerset House and eating your ice cream is just possible in one of the ROH's longer intervals, and there are several other theatres that are closer…

DSC03026.jpg

Edited by John Mallinson
Added a PS.
  • Like 6

That reminds me that something called (I think) Coffee Dogs has opened at Kings Cross, outside the station. They sell "Frozen custard" which is allegedly denser and smoother than normal ice cream. Probably not that handy for theatres except possibly the Platform Theatre nearby...

• Like 1

This just isn't fair....sob.....since I'm not in the UK - eating ice cream at intervals (intermission) .........

But since ice cream is my favorite food and it's a feisty morning.......

Dream about this:  rich vanilla ice cream served on a warm lightly fried flour tortilla, sprinkled with cinnamon, nutmeg and honey.

A fork and spoon comes with it - which is silly.  Just use fingers to break off pieces of the crispy tortilla and use it as a scoop for the ice cream.

Alternatives are mango and/or coconut ice cream.  

And then - there's fried ice cream.  Very decadent.  

• Like 5

Birmingham Hippodrome has gone onto a new supplier called Bard's: on the basis of the one I had last week, I can't tell the difference between them and Beechdean.

Eek! Alison, please tell me they still do that divine ginger and honeycomb one! That, for me, is the high watermark of interval ice cream!

Edited by BristolBillyBob
  • Like 2

This is the one! Opposite the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm.

marine-ice-cream-balls.jpg

Yes, they've been there a while, and yes, they're good. Is THAT why the Royal Opera is performing at The Round House next January?

And, daisydance, there's a coffee shop in my high street (called 'The Dessert Lounge") that sells the Minghella ices.

• Like 2

Don't we all love our ice creams! Can anyone remember which theatre it is has the wonderful Minghella ice creams (from Isle of Wight)?

Best ice cream has to be their ginger and honey.

The South Bank Centre used to sell them: I think they still do, although I haven't been there for a while, now I come to think of it.  I've been a bit disappointed in the Minghellas I've had, though.

If any of you ever happen to visit one of the theatres in Sheffield, I would highly recommend the local ice cream made by 'Our Cow Molly' - http://www.ourcowmolly.co.uk/flavours/ - lovely texture and they usually have a few different flavours - the lemon and ginger is incredible. I love the fact that our local theatres support a local food business too.

Sounds gorgeous.  Am I right in thinking that some ice-creams don't travel well? :(

Yes, they've been there a while, and yes, they're good. Is THAT why the Royal Opera is performing at The Round House next January?

And, daisydance, there's a coffee shop in my high street (called 'The Dessert Lounge") that sells the Minghella ices.

Great name for a coffee shop! It was an early ambition of mine to have shop called Just Desserts.  Sadly, never fulfilled that ambition (and didn't become a ballerina either).

Well I'm quite good now on Sussex tea shops......Litlington Tea Gardens not far from Alfriston is a great place where they sell Mulberry ice cream in August.

I think Ive a new mission now searching out ice cream places in London!!

I love anything with Ginger in ......and lemon and ginger ice cream sounds gorgeous!!

I love the name "our cow Molly" I would definitely be attracted to buying any ice cream with that name!!

• Like 1