English Youth Ballet - Giselle

dancing10

We are there as well - they have said to take pointe shoes even if not experienced on pointe - dd is 11 and has about 18 months experience and would love to do something on pointe, but we think it is unlikely. If anyone has knowledge of what might be on offer, we would love to know too!

No personal experience (DD has done EYB 3 times but not Giselle) but a couple of our friends have been in Giselle. From what I remember, most of the girls on pointe were Willis though a few of the older ones had parts as Giselle's friends. There is a group of Wood Nymphs who are usually around 11-12 I think and they are sometimes on pointe, sometimes not, depending on the particular cast. Not sure about other parts sorry but if you have a look on the EYB website there will be photos and videos that might give you some clues.

Hope you all enjoy it. EYB is such an enjoyable experience. DD finished on Tuesday and is already wanting to do it again!

• Like 1

Dancing10 - for your 10 year old - possibly a servant or a villager? The servants are a smaller group of girls with 2 girls taking rather a lead role. 14 year old - friend or Willi?

Karen - I think she's absolutely prime candidate for Wood Nymph. Really pretty dance! Our lot did it en pointe.

my DD did giselle in November age 11 - was a woodnymph en pointe but was the youngest of these by about 2 years

the best non pointe roles in giselle for that age are the scullery maids and parlour maids also house keeper and cook but they are sometimes slightly older

the younger ones will be children or villagers

Most 14 year olds en pointe will be willis or in the hunt , the best older ones are giselles friends

servants and villagers are usually a mixture of younger and older dancers pointe/non pointe

all the parts are great tho -the children all get an equivalent amount of stage/dance time regardless of role and will have a fabulous time

the classes at rehearsals are divided in to 3 groups which are geared to ability/grade rather than age