BRB Beauty and the Beast

Is anyone able to advise if this ballet is suitable for a 9 year old to watch please? I know beauty and the beast can be a frightening story but I will confess I have never heard of the ballet until now.

Thank you in advance

I would think it is fine for a 9 year-old.  It's quite darkly told but not frightening (and I am very easily frightened!).  I'm looking forward to seeing it again on tour this Autumn, especially if we see the casts we saw in the excerpt on midscale!

• Like 1

Hello, outofmydepth.  This Google search https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Aballet.co.uk+%22beauty+and+the+beast%22&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&gfe_rd=cr&ei=EPOeU5z9AejR8geFkoDgAg&gws_rd=ssl has links to reviews and so on from the old site which may help you to make an informed decision, or at the least give you more information.

I don't remember it being the sort of scary that would upset a 9-year-old, I must say, but obviously Janet knows it a lot better than I do :)

I'm going to move this over to the Information thread, where I think it's probably better suited.

• Like 1

Having followed the link - was it really 2008 that BRB last did this in Birmingham?  If so then my DD was definitely no older and possibly younger than 9 when she saw it with me and I do not remember her being scared at all.  Her elder sister had done a repertoire workshop with BRB and explained how some of the visual tricks were done and we had gone over the story beforehand, with a recap at the interval as I think she found it a little difficult to follow at times.  But scared - no.

• Like 1

I'm sure they've done it since then because I can remember seeing Chi in 2008 just before he took his sabbatical to make the film.  He didn't dance the Beast last time around.

In Buxton the three Beasts I saw were Tyrone Singleton, Cesar Morales and Yasuo Atsuji.  I hope all three will be Beasting in the Autumn plus maybe another one or two as there are so many performances.

Aileen - I thought Birmingham about 3 years ago - also for DDs birthday - but checking my work diaries showed that for us it was actually 5th October 2008 - how time flies. So younger DD was 9 when she saw it - nearly 10. Definitely time to see it again I think.

• Like 2