Tring CBA audition November

southerndancemum

Been a while since my dd auditioned ( didn't get in).  It was her first audition (though age 13- late starter). We were a bit daunted by the competitive stretching in the pre-audition warm up but realise now its the norm.  I seem to remember the admin was friendly and the groups were arranged by age.  Audition was maybe 1 hour or hour and a half. It certainly seems to be a well regarded scheme with many people doing this plus other associate schemes.  My advice would be to relax, listen and enjoy the audition.

Edited by chaperone

thanks :) DD is coming up for 8 and has some experience of audition / festivals, and takes everything in her stride so i dont think she will feel daunted by it, more curious as to what happens, what you need to wear / hair, stuff like that

I'm more aware that she will suddenly realise that vocational schools exist :huh: LOL

• Like 2

Hello southerndancemum, welcome to the forum. :-)

Like many other good associate schemes, Tring CBA is very competitive in terms of numbers of auditionees going for relatively few places. IF your little dd gets a no, definitely don't despair though! She is very young so think of it as really valuable audition experience.

The audition usually consists of a ballet class and there may be a range of ages so if there are 10 or 11 year olds in the class tell your dd not to worry as they may be looking for people for groups 1, 2 and 3. At the end there may be some simple stretches to assess flexibility (things like sitting in "frog" position, or sitting with legs stretched out in front of you then bending forward, and possibly splits).

Tring are quite speedy about getting the results out, which is good.

If you want to wait outside the studios while the audition class is going on, there are chairs for parents. There are no loos in the studios though so it does mean a trek into the school.

In terms of what to wear, I would suggest a plain coloured leotard, elastic waistband, pink socks for little ones and ballet shoes (unless the audition info specifies tights) and hair either in "JA plaits" on top of the head, or in a bun.

Ignore any "competition stretching" that may be going on pre-audition! :-)

• Like 2

They aren't building on the grass, as far as I am aware. I think they are building back towards new block, where the loos are. The art room etc will be demolished and the new theatre will be there. So I think it's a big building alongside the current new block and clock house.

Sorry if that isn't very clear!!

Hi southerndancemum, I can't recommend Trings CBA program enough my dd auditioned last November and started January this year alongside doing a program at elmhurst too. The progress she's made by adding these associate programs alongside her local ballet classes this last year has been amazing. She's so much more technical and confident in her abilities now. She found the audition class for the CBA quite basic, not too challenging and very enjoyable. I'm sure your dd will be fine. Good luck for November, I find the audition process so exciting x

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It depends each time on how many leavers there are, how many of each group will be moving up and the ages/level of those auditioning.. 

A case of "how long is piece of string" really, I'm afraid, but the audition is a lovely experience in itself, and nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say!

When my DD auditioned in May there were about 130 auditioning for 15-20 spaces spread across the whole age range (8-18?).

Each group had 20-30 auditioning but quite a mix of ages in each (mine was in last group and they were age 12 to at least 16) so don't be put off if there are much bigger girls in your group.

My DD gets extremely nervous and it's not helped by the over confident ones in the 'warm up' area... however she really enjoyed the audition and said the teachers & panel were really friendly. And she got a place so we are starting there in September! Exciting stuff.

Good luck.

• Like 3

Tring runs lots of dance days and workshops. They are really good fun and value for money - for those who find auditions a bit daunting, doing one of the courses might be a good way of getting to know the school first. If you are familiar with the staff and buildings then the audition process won't be quite so nerve-wracking :)

edited for typo

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 3

Just wondered if anyone has paid for audition and heard anything yet. I sent off form and cheque in June but haven't had anything back, not even an acknowledgment letter.

Nancy - i had the same thing so rang them - she said that we would hear nearer the time but if the cheque has been cashed then DD has a place at the audition

hope that helps.  if in doubt, email or call them

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My DS auditioned on 18th May this year so if unsuccessful this time look again for May/June time.

My DD was unsuccessful first time but was successful second time and I know of others that also had a similar experience.

Try again. Good luck though for this time and fingers crossed you get a yes this time.

• Like 2