Advice on soft pointes

LittleNutcracker

My daughter is soon to take her RAD intermediate exam. She has been using Grishko soft pointes 2007 exam version. The most recent pair we bought are really hard, despite wearing them in and seriously bashing them. The glue has come apart and has become sharp as a result. I would welcome advice from the forum as to a nice 'soft' soft pointe which doesn't require too much breaking in. She has really narrow feet. Thank you!

Another vote for Freed soft blocks here too.

The only other ones dd has ever tried were capezio, which looked pretty but I think the box had polymer or plastic in as they were incredibly noisy. No matter what we did in terms of bashing or steaming, they sounded like tap shoes.

The most recent pair we bought are really hard, despite wearing them in and seriously bashing them. The glue has come apart and has become sharp as a result.

It's interesting that various posters mention that Freeds are easy to soften, because with dd's only pair of Freed demis we had the same problem as above - that the box broke up into little sharp bits that dug in and were really uncomfortable.

With dd's more recent pairs (Bloch) I've warmed the shoes with a combination of steaming over the kettle and putting them on a hot radiator so that they're much more pliable before bashing the life out of them with a hammer!

• Like 1

LittleNutcracker - There is a brand of soft pointes called Shoos, which are the softest soft pointes I have come across so far. They have an elastic drawstring so they stay on your feet better. I have heard it said they break in very quickly.

But if the shoes your DD has just now are okay to work with, maybe it's worth trying to soften the sharp and uncomfortable bits with surgical spirit? You can dab it on with cotton wool and your DD could walk around the house with the shoes on so they mould to your DD's feet as they dry. Depending on how soon the exam is, and how long it takes for your DD to soften soft pointe shoes, your DD may find it's a bit of a rush to go round finding and trying different shoes, sew on ribbons and get them soft enough in time for the actual exam.

What I've done needs to come with a "test with an inconspicuous area before applying to whole shoe"

I own a pair of Bob Martin soft blocks from the time before he sold to Bloch. His shoes were very similar to Freeds.

I chucked mine into a washing machine, and it's worked wonders. There were no hard edges to the shoe at all, nice and quiet. I did my Advanced 1 and 2 exams at headquarters and was not questioned about the shoes at all.

I think whether to use water or surgical spirit depends on the type of glue in the shoe. I forgot which type should be used for grishkos, so really test out in a small area before plunging the shoes in!

My 2 pennies.

S*F

• Like 1

I had problems with my Grishkos too (there's a whole other thread!) having had them before and not being so bad. I put mine in the washing machine (they do shrink a bit so wear while a bit damp) & bashed more after, it helped a lot, although they do harden up again. Blochs are indeed nicer & easier to work with, think I might just switch to them!

Which company sells soft pointes called 'Shoos'. Google just thinks that I've misspelt 'Shoes'. LOL

Thanks

Opps, I got my brands mixed up. I have seen girls use soft pointes called 'Shoos', which looked very flattering, but I have not come across them so I'm not sure how widely available they are. The shoes I was thinking of are Meme: http://www.me-medance.co.uk/pointe-shoes/

Hope this is helpful.

They look interesting, DSP. Not sure why they seem to be using US street shoe sizing in their comparison size chart though, when they are based in the UK. Freed size 6 is the same as UK street size 6, not size 9! Bit confusing.

• Like 1

S&P I have just emailed to ask them about that!

Having tried all the brands and dd finding something not quite right or school not liking them I might see if she will give these a try.

DD pre vocational teacher used to keep a supply of Shoo soft blocks but no idea where you can now get them. 

• Like 1

Have you tried deshanking a pair of pointe shoes she's grown out of (deshanked my dd finds they are 1/2 bigger) and using calamine lotion to tidy them up. X

Have tried deshanking in past but they always ended up being too big. She has ditched the ouch pouches in pointe shoes and just going for tape so has gone down a shoe size so might give it another go.

• 2 months later...

My daughter is soon to take her RAD intermediate exam. She has been using Grishko soft pointes 2007 exam version. The most recent pair we bought are really hard, despite wearing them in and seriously bashing them. The glue has come apart and has become sharp as a result. I would welcome advice from the forum as to a nice 'soft' soft pointe which doesn't require too much breaking in. She has really narrow feet. Thank you!

HI Little Nutcracker. i am sorry to hear you had some trouble with your Grishko soft Pointes. If you would like to email me and tell me more about the problem, or phone, please do. Grishko soft blocks are designed to really work the feet, as they are made with intention of preparing the foot for pointe work, but you should not have sharp glue! phone 01223 861425

Hello Amanda from Grishko and welcome out of the lurking shadows!

In accordance with the Forum's Acceptable Use Policy for people with commercial interests, could I please ask you to add a signature block to your member profile:

"Members who have commercial interests must indicate that by adding a Signature line to their postings, stating the name and type of their business and giving their website and/or business email address for enquiries. (You set up a Signature via My Settings in the dropdown menu under your name.) If members wish to contact businesses, associate schemes or other commercial enterprises this should be done via the vendor’s website or email, not by starting threads on the forum."

• Like 1