pointe shoe orthotics

pastel

Just thought I'd make a comment about something we recently bought for our dd. She's had quite a lot of issues with pointe shoes, mostly due to really bendy feet. But the past few months, her 4th toe has been dislocating and causing a lot of pain while doing pointe work. After trying several brands, we saw a dance physio who sent us to a special fitter......that didn't help. Then, someone showed her their pointe shoe orthotics (which are quite expensive) but since we were desperate, we tried them. They work!! 

The fitter basically makes a custom toe separator  and then moulds the 'putty' around the foot to fill in the area below the smaller toes, then they cover the front of the foot like an 'ouch pouch'. When the putty stuff hardens, the dancer has a custom made toe separator/pad. 

Not sure if you have such a thing in the UK.

Here is the link to the ones we used. http://www.enpointeorthotics.com.au

Legseleven,

we've just decided to get a second pair because they won't last for 3 years. Dd got one pair fitted into her paste shoes and the second will be for her Gaynors.  

:)

• Like 1

Interesting.....I see what I'm going to be researching tonight!

We are listening...boy's tunics made - just one design on the site, others in store.

Underwear and Leo bras in research phase - but a selection of bra friendly Leo's in stock - phone for info.

Still searching for the "right" wooden turner.

Patterns and instruction books for tutu making also due on site soon!

Large Leo's and custom made tutus available :)

Too busy for ballet class at the moment!!

Sx

• Like 13

Balletteacher - that looks very similar to the product my dd was fitted with. Interesting.

Her dance physio was really happy for her to use them (she has been doing pointe work for over 6 years). Not sure what the situation is with less experienced dancers.

With regard to the hygiene issue mentioned in the article. We were told the material doesn't absorb odour/bacteria. So far they don't smell at all. Time will tell.

I've had a peek at the links and I wonder how much give there is in the gel? I can see how holding the foot in place when on pointe would be supportive but the foot articulates so much in moving throught being flat to on pointe, surely the toes must be allowed to move?

I'm lying in bed trying to imagine how my feet would feel doing pointe, with no room for movement and it's tricky :D

I guess it may be similar to taping toes together and then filling the "space" with padding.

But as Balleteacher says, I need to try it really before judging!!

Glad it's helping your daughter though Pastel :)

Sx

• Like 1

I do wonder what happens as the shoe alters through usage and gets softer given the orthotic would not adapt to any change in the toe or the back of the shoe. I am assuming they are fitted using brand new shoes. Just thoughts really as I have not seen them.

• Like 1