Well, I've seen it all now...

taxi4ballet

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very wary of dogs not on a leash.  I do like dogs very much - we had a beloved dog for many years.  I have found some of the smaller ones to be the most aggressive.  This seems to be especially true when there is more than one.

I have found some of the smaller ones to be the most aggressive. 

This occasionally applies to people too...

Felt slightly sorry for the luckless man (unaccompanied by his children) who inadvertently parked in a 'parent and child' spot at the supermarket today. He was thoroughly told off by not one, but two very small women who told him exactly what they thought of his parking!

Taxi, I am obsessed by the parent and child spaces at our local supermarket.  If someone is parking or leaving in my sight I always check to see if they have got children with them.  Most of the time they haven't.  One of these days I am going to ask Customer Services what the criteria are for parking in those spaces!!

Going back to dogs, I worry when I see dogs on expander leads because the owners have no control over them whatsoever.  I have nearly been tripped up on one occasion by dog going one way and owner the other around me!  Also several dogs have run at my Chunkydog in a not very friendly way and the owners cannot yank them back in time.  And then again, you have the owners who let them have the full length of the expander while walking along busy roads....  Yes they can be very useful but they are also downright dangerous!

• Like 2

Taxi, I am obsessed by the parent and child spaces at our local supermarket.  If someone is parking or leaving in my sight I always check to see if they have got children with them.  Most of the time they haven't.  One of these days I am going to ask Customer Services what the criteria are for parking in those spaces!!

And what about the disabled spaces?  I regularly check for blue badges on those.  My ex-local Co-Op used to have half-a-dozen parking spaces, the closest two of which were the disabled and the parent and child spaces, but non-qualifying people frequently parked in them.  I'm sure they thought it didn't matter, but someone disabled might not have been able to get out of their car/make it as far as the shop if they couldn't park right next door :(

Last summer I was sitting on the tube one Saturday evening at about 6.30pm, when about 40 men got on.  They were all dressed as Elvis Presley, with tight, white, spangled jumpsuits, black wigs, and dark glasses.

They did a jaunty rendition of All Shook Up, and as we pulled in to the next station, they said, "Thank you very much" in unison, and all got off again. 

They certainly put a smile on the faces of everyone in the carriage. 

• Like 5

I was standing in line at the Metropolitan Opera waiting for the ticket window to open many years ago when we spotted a bus stopping in front of the plaza. A group of Japanese tourists and their guide ran across the plaza and into the lobby area, stood in front of the staircase, sang a song, and ran out.

We figured it was because they wanted to say they had sung at the Metropolitan Opera.  B) 

• Like 3

Last summer I was sitting on the tube one Saturday evening at about 6.30pm, when about 40 men got on.  They were all dressed as Elvis Presley, with tight, white, spangled jumpsuits, black wigs, and dark glasses.

They did a jaunty rendition of All Shook Up, and as we pulled in to the next station, they said, "Thank you very much" in unison, and all got off again. 

They certainly put a smile on the faces of everyone in the carriage. 

An Elvis flashmob - brilliant!

• Like 6

The other day I stopped at tescos before going to work. I was about to get out of the car when I noticed a man drive by (in a car) wearing a cycle helmet! I got out the car and walking up the road and coming towards me was a very, very large man wearing a Tshirt with the slogan on it:- "I ate all the pies". I guess it was just one of those days!

• Like 5

Well I've HEARD it all now!

Chunkydog and I were minding our own business on the grassy bit by the Iron Men when I heard a voice calling out - "Mind that dog, it's the type that will bite your face off".  I quickly looked around because Chunky was badly attacked some years ago on her own front door step so I like to keep an eye on other dogs.

No other dog was anywhere near us.  A little boy of about 5 was meandering in our vague direction and it was his mother who was calling out.  Well he ran back to her terrified and screaming and her husband picked up their other little one also terrified and screaming.

I couldn't help myself.  I had to ask her if she thought she was being sensible making her sons terrified of dogs.  She replied she wanted them terrified of dogs so they wouldn't get mauled.  I told her she was being silly and it would be far better to teach her children not to run up or try to stroke dogs at which point she became abusive.

Needless to say Chunky carried on sniffing totally disinterested in anyone or anything around her, while these two silly people carried off 2 needlessly terrified and crying young children.  As the grassy area and beach is a favourite dog walking spot, I bet her children will not be having a fun day out!

• Like 1

The problem is that when there's a dog-child problem, people tend to automatically blame the dog, and often it's the fault of the child or its parents. We were sitting in a park with the dog years ago, watching a cricket match (local California league) and our German shepherd suddenly bared her teeth and lunged at a kid behind us. Fortunately I was on the other end of the leash and she didn't get far, but I grabbed her collar and yelled at her, upon which someone else said, "not the dog's fault, the kid was throwing stones at her." At which point the little angel burst into tears and threw itself into mummy's arms, who of course was still blaming the dog.

Not sure what the dog would have done if she'd managed to get to the kid, but on the whole she was pretty good natured. It's just that after a few incidents like that with kids who threw things at her and ran up out of nowhere and hit her, she was pretty unhappy around children so we always had her on a short leash when they were around.

There are also cat/kid situations.  Many years ago a man living down the street knocked on my door to tell me that he was calling the police to report that my male cat had attacked his 7 yr old son and it should be considered dangerous and euthanized..

The officer, I, the father and the son were soon discussing this matter.  There were red marks but no open skin on the boy's arms.  Fortunately, I had clipped the sharp points off the cat's claws just a day or two before.   At the time my own son was an infant and I thought this a good idea.

I asked the child to tell us exactly what happened.  He related that he was peacefully walking down the street when the cat suddenly ran up to him and leaped up to scratch his arms.  It just didn't sound like a likely story - cats don't usually arbitrarily leap at people.  After some more conversation - and specific questions, it turned out that the boy had chased the cat, cornered it, and then picked it up and was clamping his arms around it in an effort to keep it from running away.

The cat was quarantined to make sure it was not ill - which it passed with flying colors as it's vet shots were up to date.   

The officer took no action - saying that none was warrented - it was not a dangerous cat.

What the father said to the boy - I have no idea.   His first response was to euthanize the cat.

One of my earliest memories was when me and my mum went to visit friends who lived around the corner from us. I knew the family and their children very well, so I ran on ahead and the front door was already open for us. I burst into the downstairs spare room where I knew the children would be playing,to be confronted by the families German Shepherd,who jumped up onto his hind legs,making him bigger than me,and bit me on the right forearm. I`m sure you`ve all seen police dog handlers on tv training the dogs to attack an attacker in a specific way and to go for the forearm, usually of the right arm. This is exactly where the dog went for me. I remember being hysterical,and screaming and not stopping screaming ,for what seemed like hours.The dog was a retired police dog and was just acting on instinct and training. It wasn`t his fault, but the dog had to be destroyed and the family were heartbroken. But it  left me completely traumatised. The dog broke the skin but I can`t remember needing stitches. But I still,43 years later, have the scar. That and being trapped alone in a lift around the same age are two of my earliest memories. I like dogs,but only ones that I can sense are friendly. Dogs like a Labrador or a Sheepdog. They must sense, too, that I like them because often a strange dog will come up to me for a pet and a cuddle; often crossing the road to come up to me. Not at all do I ever feel afraid. I`m sure they must know this,which is why they come up to say hello to me. Sometimes they will then try and follow me and I have to tell them to go home! But a dog like a German Shepherd,lovely though that individual dog might be, just brings a horrible memory flooding back and I just freeze.

This made me laugh Janet.

I could actually just visualise my son's face on that little boy.  What is it about boys that they don't see things as they really are - a post box is for posting your mail into / a chair is to sit down on - and instead view everything in the world as something that has to be climbed, crawled under/over/around OR somersaulted onto from a great distance OR hang upside down from?

Don't get me wrong my son is an absolute darling 90% of the time and does behave and mind his manners - however every now and then he seems to need to let his internal crazy boy loose to get it out of his system.  He would be lying on top of this postbox and then as soon as I looked at him with the 'Really? what do you think you're doing up there?' look he would smile and jump down and come back over and hold my hand (which I still love even thought he's now 10).  Also, he would never do this if anyone else were around as he wouldn't want to be seen as 'one of those boys!' - but when it's just his family, the sky is the limit to the craziness!

Maybe I was just lulled into a false sense of security that DD never felt the urge to climb everything.

Definitely justifies the whole Venus & Mars categorisation for me - at least in regards my children.

• Like 1

I walk my dog in the local park some mornings. Over the last few months, I have observed two people standing stock still, side by side, amongst the trees. First time I nearly jumped out of my skin as they were partially hidden. They are wearing tracksuits and seem to be doing some sort of exercise/meditation. Whatever it is doesn't require much effort although they both have the obligatory water bottles. One of them occasionally stretches an arm out to the side. I don't think they are doing anything untoward, but I do wonder what they are doing.

People have started to stop and look at them but there is no speaking or waving.

So, any ideas as to what is going on?

• Like 1

I wondered about Tai Chi, but thought that required a bit more movement, not that I know anything about it. It is certainly slow motion, only one of them moves an arm up and down, like an old fashioned traffic signal. They are always facing north if that is significant? Or they could just be facing the town hall which is in that direction. They are not wearing hi-viz jackets over their tracksuits!