Well, I've seen it all now...

taxi4ballet

Seen while I was driving along a (fairly busy) country road today: a bloke in his twenties riding his bike at high speed and whizzing along in front of him was a remote-controlled car. He was carrying the controller in both hands and operating it as he rode along...

Over to you lot - what's the oddest thing you've seen lately?

• Like 2

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago in our local bookstore in California - a parrot on someone's shoulder freaking out at the Halloween display in the shop and flying round the store attacking all the fake spiders.

• Like 4

We had a cat we used to walk on a leash. She was stray,and we found her,literally on our way to West Cork for a holiday. So we bought food,a water bowl , a leash and took her with us. She would stand with her two front paws on Sean`s dad`s shoulders while he was driving and look out the front window. On the holiday,people would stop and stare, or even take photos of our cat on a leash. Sadly,we only had her less than a year.Don`t know what happened to her,but she was found dead in a field nearby. Never had a cat like her.

Well more heard than seen but was on the 38 bus going from Victoria to the Angel last week when the bus announcing system took a Hal (2001) type turn!!

So all the announcements were in extreme slow motion......and had a sort of vaguely menacing feel.

Sort of " theeee ne-e-e xxxt zzzzzt- o-opppp i-i-zzzzz Gre---e--enn plah-ah-ah-kk sszztay-ay-ay-sszz--onn".........sort of thing if you can imagine a female Hal voice doing it.

This actually caused a rather happy bus and gave everyone much enjoyment and those without headphones in were all smiling. It was great watching people's reaction as they got on the bus and heard it for the first time. It was a new style route master bus and the conductor at the back seemed to be enjoying it all too .......neither he nor the driver turned the system off at any rate .......but perhaps they couldn't!!!!

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 4

Also a guy who passed me on his bicycle: with earplugs, watching  his phone and typing. With both hands. Though I *did* admire his coordination skills, I feared for him.

Oh dear, was that in Germany?  Do they still have bikes where you brake by backpedalling? :o

Yes, Alison.

On a bike path next to a very busy drivethrough in the middle of Berlin. Many bike paths here are sort of shared space on the sidewalks (pavement??) so it becomes quite crowdwd sometimes, especially in the touristy areas.

And yes, there still are "backpedal brakes" but also many "Fixies", with no brakes at all...!

We had a cat we used to walk on a leash. She was stray,and we found her,literally on our way to West Cork for a holiday. So we bought food,a water bowl , a leash and took her with us. She would stand with her two front paws on Sean`s dad`s shoulders while he was driving and look out the front window. On the holiday,people would stop and stare, or even take photos of our cat on a leash. Sadly,we only had her less than a year.Don`t know what happened to her,but she was found dead in a field nearby. Never had a cat like her.

Aww she sounded really cute Thequays, I'm sorry she wasn't able to be with you for longer- although clearly your memories of her will live on forever :)

• Like 1

Many years ago we went to Disneyland in Anaheim, California.  We went on the ride called "It's a Small World."  

For those of you who may not have been to Disneyland - this ride is in a large enclosed building while siting  in a smallish boat that moves through a labyrinth of rooms and halls filled with dolls dressed up in the various folkwear of countries from all around the world.  The dolls are placed in tiers above one's natural sightline so that one has to look up.

It's a fairly long ride and throughout the music is playing "It's a Small World After All." - on and on in gallery after gallery - hundreds - maybe even thousands of dolls with moving arms, legs. heads. mouths all moving to mimic the song, eyes opening and shutting.

Well, the day we went something happened to the music and it went completely silent.  However, the dolls kept moving as did our boats and so in room after room we were treated to the clickings and clackings of varous doll parts moving, click-eyes open, click-mouth closes, click-head turns, click-arms move - countless dolls clicking and clacking away.  That's all we could hear was this other-worldly clicks/clacks and moving dolls as we looked up at them and they looked down at us - eyes clicking open and shut..

To say it was eerie is to put it mildly.  Seemed like the beginning of a horror movie.  We were very happy to eventually emerge from the building into the open sky and sunshine.

• Like 5

My friend at work says she recently saw a man doing his shopping in Sainsburys wearing the full Superman kit.

Sounds like he would have been right at home in Walmart,from what i`ve heard of some of the people who frequent that supermarket.!!

yesterday whilst driving to get DD from school I saw a 'suited' man standing by the boot of his car, in a layby, removing his trousers - i had to double take as he was just stripping in broad day light!!

Now now, Superman has to eat as well... :D

Indeed:

"LOIS LANE: Well, um, uh -I - I assume the rest of your bodily functions are...normal?

SUPERMAN: Sorry, beg your pardon?

LOIS: Well, putting it delicately. (long pause) Do you...eat?

SUPERMAN: Uh, yes. Yes I do. When I'm hungry."

(You really need to read the whole thing, though: start by searching for "vital statistics": http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=m-movie1-transcript)

• 3 weeks later...

I once, when collecting dd from her associates class, saw a man walking along the road stark naked on a Saturday afternoon. I had to look twice to check and made the mistake of saying outloud "is that man naked?!"

I've since seen a tv programme about him, he is known as the naked rambler and hales from Eastleigh. He has reached a degree of infamy

I once, when collecting dd from her associates class, saw a man walking along the road stark naked on a Saturday afternoon. I had to look twice to check and made the mistake of saying outloud "is that man naked?!"

I've since seen a tv programme about him, he is known as the naked rambler and hales from Eastleigh. He has reached a degree of infamy

I would agree - you did see it all.

• Like 6

Where I live in South London there is a man who dresses as Robin Hood, he has a  little green hat, green cape, a tunic and tight green trousers.  I have seen him several times and this seems to be his daily outfit ?

Also, when using the tube in central London on a Friday evening I used to see lots of ladies dresses in fish net stockings and suspenders going to the Rocky Horror Show.

I have also seen groups of men wearing tutus in Wandsworth and other bizarre outfits including just body paint, what is really weird is how few people even turn to look at them ? ? ?

• Like 5

Once, in Whitby, I passed a vampire complete with bleeding fangs and wearing full black Victorian undertaker gear, leaning against a wall and smoking a cigarette. :huh:

Re your cat, TheQuays, someone I knew had a cat that would sit on his lap when he drove.  When he stopped at traffic lights the cat would often stand up with her paws on the steering wheel, much to the amusement of the other drivers at the lights.

• Like 4

Ever the perfect lady, my beloved cat (RIP), Dame Margot, would stand beside me when I went outside to greet arriving guests.  She would also stand beside me as I said goodbye as they got into the car to leave.

She joined the group (especially if it was all women) as we sat around with tea cups and  cookies (biscuits).  She, however, knowing she was forbidden to have cookies would innocently walk by the low coffee table and without breaking stride, delicately "liberate" a cookie from the tray, continue walking until she was behind a drape and there consume her ill gotten treat.

• Like 6

We were just taking my small Jack Russell, Chunkydog for a walk before Emmerdale.  We were at the Marina and she was off the lead pottering (well she will be 13 in September).  Anoother lady with a Jack Russell about the same size was walking towards us with her dog on a lead.  When she saw us she immediately picked her dog up until she had walked past us!  Chunkydog didn't even look at her dog!

• Like 4