Angel Corella gives up on his dream of a classical company for Spain ...

Marina Harss has just tweeted:

Angel Corella has sadly given up on his company and is leaving Spain, he told a Spanish paper  http://www.vanitatis...-bailar_139662/

The dream of a current classical ballet company for Spain looks as if it is on yet a further horizon.  All kudos to Mr. Corella for striving to both show and fulfill a national need; for striving to make his dream a reality.  History I'm certain will remember his courageous efforts kindly.  It will be most interesting to see what new paths now open up for both him and his family away from the Spanish domain.   Interesting to note that he turned down the current AD role for the RNZB (replacing his former ABT cohort, Ethan Steifel)  to focus on his Spanish concerns.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

That's sad.  In 2012, I saw the North American premiere of Barcelona Ballet’s Swan Lake in Detroit.  The original choreography by Petipá and Ivanov was revised by Angel Corella.  I am happy that I had the opportunity to see the performance.  A very memorable experience.

• Like 1

Always terribly sad when a company goes to the wall and hard working dancers find themselves out of a job, I had a friend in the company so very sorry to hear this.

By the way I remember the very unhelpful remarks that Tamara Rojo made at the time of the company's inception, I felt they didn't reflect very well on her.

I know that ENB is going to Granada and has already been to Madrid. Where else is the company going, capybara?

According to an ENB Newsletter, they are performing at the Peralada Festival on 1st and 2nd August. Coppelia on the 1st and a mixed 'gala type' programme on the 2nd.

• Like 1