Foam rollers

munchkin16

I've recently read that foam rollers are really good for increasing flexibility for ballet. I'm thinking of getting one but before I do, does anyone think they work? Apparently you can roll muscles out on it? Also any good brands? Thanks!

Hi Munchkin,

we used the foam roller a lot in Pilates class. Most of the exercises enhanced core stability and also flexibility of the spine. Some exercises are for relaxation of the hips and shoulder joints. I also use the foam roller to “roll out” the abductor muscles and the iliotibial band (ouch).

I think the use of a foam roller beneficial in every respect. Try to get one in a good size so that your spine and head fit on it, length wise, and it should not be soft – the white ones are sufficient and not too expensive. Mine is by the manufacturer Sissel – don’t know if they’re available outside of Germany.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about flexibility but it feels good - in a painful sort of way - and I feel like it helps my muscles recover from exercise quicker. Mine's a Physioworld make, got it from Amazon, and it seems pretty sturdy.

i have one and theyre good for massaging out muscles but i dont think they help with your flexibility at all really  xx

I've also been testing this theory and it has helped my flexibility a lot! It's really helped to relax and lengthen out my muscles which has helped greatly with splits and over splits:) I've also found a great exercise for back strength and flexibility that I've just started so this will hopefully improve:)

I have found one exercise that has most definitely improved upper back mobility using a foam roller. It may be I was tight in that area but I did it a lot when non weight bearing through injury and my back bends are noticeably more mobile. It's good for the core as well. Will try and find a link for it rather than using words to describe.

• Like 2

I have found one exercise that has most definitely improved upper back mobility using a foam roller. It may be I was tight in that area but I did it a lot when non weight bearing through injury and my back bends are noticeably more mobile. It's good for the core as well. Will try and find a link for it rather than using words to describe.

Yes please! I've always had a stiff back and tried loads of different things. Even physios (sports rather than dance mind you) have been amazed at how stiff my back is compared to the flexibility I have everywhere else!

• 2 years later...

On a more serious note - I bought one in TK Maxx about a year ago. Then one I decided to buy was a bit different then others - can't find it anywhere now and my DD (after trying different ones) says that this one is absolutely the best. It is covered in a sticking out round "lumps". They give the muscles a really good massage.

Friend's DD uses offcut of plastic drainpipe free from hardware shop. Light,portable, disposable, bit hard maybe??

I'm going to end up going that way soon. Or possibly a log with some nails banged into it. Not easy getting into my hamstrings … 

My understanding is that you're meant to start soft and work up, but a 15 year old dancer is probably not going to need to start at the bottom. Maybe take her somewhere she can try them out to get a feel for what she needs? Try some of her friends'? My wife's roller is utterly useless to me, fine for her.

• Like 1

Can I tag on - is there a GOOD (reputable, trustworthy) site (or YouTube channel) which demonstrates some ways to use the roller? I blunder about with some large (but quite soft) rollers in my gym. But those seem to be ones which are long & broad enough to use in exercise classes - aligning one's spine along them and doing core stability exercises. I'd like to start rolling out my tight Achilles & hamstrings, so wondered about the appropriate roller & techniques.

Kathryn Morgan (she used to be a dancer with New York City Ballet) has a really good video on how to use a foam roller on her YouTube channel  :)

Can I tag on - is there a GOOD (reputable, trustworthy) site (or YouTube channel) which demonstrates some ways to use the roller? I blunder about with some large (but quite soft) rollers in my gym. But those seem to be ones which are long & broad enough to use in exercise classes - aligning one's spine along them and doing core stability exercises. I'd like to start rolling out my tight Achilles & hamstrings, so wondered about the appropriate roller & techniques.

• Like 2