How to cope with sticky floor?

IBD23

DS has RAD Grade 7 coming up and reports that the floor at the hall he will be taking the exam is sticky, which is affecting his ability to turn.  I am wondering if there is anything he can put on, or do to his split-soles to help?  His teacher doesn't seem that bothered...  But I don't want to send him spinning into outer space either!

Annoying......floors which are too slippy or too sticky.

It's almost easier to deal with a slippy one in a way which is more often the case in ordinary school type halls etc.

Often more professional type surfaces (up in London) tend to get on the sticky side but then at least you are on a proper sprung floor!!

There must be people who use these type floors more often who have some "trick" or other to deal with when it gets extra sticky.

Sorry not being more helpful but wishing your son every luck with his exam.

Perhaps he can demonstrate a very slow and beautifully controlled single turn :) However no doubt for grade 7 he has to produce more than one turn. ;)

I will be interested to see what people suggest.

• Like 1

For RAD grade 7 I believe the double turn is optional, if you do a single turn you'll be marked for the single turn and if you do a double you are marked for the double turn. However, this was for the female syllabus, so I don't know whether it's different for boys? If not, maybe your DS could do a single turn if the floor was very sticky?

I am not that keen on sticky floors either. I once asked a male dancer at vocational school how he did multiple turns on a sticky floor - the school he was at before had floors like the ones in school halls. So when he got to vocational school it was quite a change to go from slippery floors to sticky floors. He said he found it hard to do multiple turns at first on a sticky floor but it was just something he got used to after a while.

One of my teachers said that turning on a sticky floor requires you to be more up for the turn, rather than add more energy in hurling yourself round. Although I understand the concept, I still find this difficult to do whenever I need to turn on a sticky floor.

I hope this is of some help. I would be interested to see if people have other suggestions. Good luck to your DS for his exam.

Edited by Dancer Sugar Plum
  • Like 1

I do think that .....as someone else pointed out .....that if you use a particular place often enough you can get used to the surface you have to dance on there.

I don't know how often your son uses the "sticky" floor place but perhaps if he can get some extra time there before his exam and can practise turning this may help a bit.