Junior Show Auditions

Bou

Hi all,

DS was telling me a friend has recently auditioned for Matilda in London - he is desperate to gain audition experience for shows, musical / Dance.

I was curious how people get to know what auditions are taking place - is there a website to look on or are they recommended (by the dance schools they go to etc)

I've searched and found lots of 'adult' auditions but nothing for juniors (he's 8, 9 in the summer hols).

any advice greatly recieved

(location - London / south)

chaperone - you got there before me!

It's also a good idea for dc's to attend as many workshops/dance days etc as they can, so they become used to performing in different surroundings and with different teachers, without the added stress of being in an audition :)

• Like 2

It depends.

A lot of the casting for children's west end & touring shows are handled by Jo Hawes. If you email her she will send details of any auditions.

The majority of west end shows you have to live within the M25. The exceptions are the roles of Matilda & Bruce (ensemble is M25 only though) & Charlie & the Choc Factory for which specifuc skills are needed.

Billy Elliot is handled by Pippa Ailon. They will take Billy's & Debbie's from the North East but other roles including ballet girls are M25 only.

Lion King obviously requires ethnic children & they have a cub school to train potential Simbas & Nalas. Audition details can be found in the programme. & website.

• Like 2

Open auditions are usually advertised in "The Stage" newspaper.

Some children have an agent who puts them forward for auditions.

As other's have said, Jo Hawes is the children's administrator for many west end and touring shows. Her website currently appears to be down but on there you can find details of shows which are currently auditioning and details of how to apply for an audition.

• Like 1

Can I just say, my dd was a ballet girl in Billy Elliot for 2 years (2007-09) and we live on the south coast, so way out of the M25 corridor. We also know at least 12 other girls from the south coast who have been in the show at some point, plus a few others from bit further north around Burgess Hill/Haywards Heath area. So they definitely do take on girls further field, unless of course they have become much stricter in recent times. The children's casting director when my dd was in it was Jessica Ronane. Auditions for Billy, Matilda & Charlie are always advertised in The Stage, in fact I saw one for Charlie only a couple of weeks ago. Jo Hawes is the casting director for that.

• Like 1