Congratulations to City

Lisa O`Brien

I had a strange experience about an hour ago. I cheered when I read that Manchester City had won the Premier League. I was delighted. Why ? Because I support Manchester United and was brought up in first a house in Old Trafford,then when I was 5 to another house down the road in Stretford. In these areas Manchester United is like a religion. So why on earth would I want City to win? Simple. Because it meant that Liverpool didn`t. United are currently a disaster, and I don`t know how long it will take for any new manager to get the team to the previous standard. He will need to buy some new players,for a start. Now of course I "hate" City. But they are still a Manc side, so it only felt right if it wasn`t to be United lifting the trophy it should go to another Manc side. Many United fans might disagree with me,but I remember the FA Cup Final in the 1980`s between Liverpool and Everton at Wembley.They were,largely united in one voice,singing "Merseyside, Merseyside",in unison. To me,that was  the right thing for them to do. So I feel it is the right thing for me,as a lifelong United and Glasgow Celtic fan,to be just a teeny weeny bit pleased for City. And it will wipe the smile off my neighbours face who always has his Liverpool shirt on,or it`s blowing in the wind on the clothes line. I wonder if he will still be wearing it now? He he.

• Like 1

I had a strange experience about an hour ago. I cheered when I read that Manchester City had won the Premier League. I was delighted. Why ? Because I support Manchester United and was brought up in first a house in Old Trafford,then when I was 5 to another house down the road in Stretford. In these areas Manchester United is like a religion. So why on earth would I want City to win? Simple. Because it meant that Liverpool didn`t. United are currently a disaster, and I don`t know how long it will take for any new manager to get the team to the previous standard. He will need to buy some new players,for a start. Now of course I "hate" City. But they are still a Manc side, so it only felt right if it wasn`t to be United lifting the trophy it should go to another Manc side. Many United fans might disagree with me,but I remember the FA Cup Final in the 1980`s between Liverpool and Everton at Wembley.They were,largely united in one voice,singing "Merseyside, Merseyside",in unison. To me,that was  the right thing for them to do. So I feel it is the right thing for me,as a lifelong United and Glasgow Celtic fan,to be just a teeny weeny bit pleased for City. And it will wipe the smile off my neighbours face who always has his Liverpool shirt on,or it`s blowing in the wind on the clothes line. I wonder if he will still be wearing it now? He he.

My dh in complete agreement with you!

Sorry Janet...!

Well Liverpool is my team ever since all those years ago some Liverpool kids from Pleasant Street School "taught" me how to play football in Sefton Park!! I used to wind up my London kids (mostly Arsenal supporters) something rotten if Liverpool beat them!!

But anyway it's a nice change that Manchester City are winning a bit now instead of Man U!!

Yes,I have to agree with you,LinMM. I actually always felt a bit sorry for City. It was always United this and United that. A few times City were even relegated,and were in a right old mess. No one team stays on top for decades on end. It would be so boring if that were the case,anyway.

• Like 1

Janet McNulty, I am sorry you don't like visiting my native city.

I am very fond of Liverpool and have a lot of connections with the city. For example, I set up and chair the Liverpool Inventors Club.

I think my attitude to Liverpool is governed by the fact that cricket is my game and Liverpool and Manchester are in the same traditional county Palatine of Lancaster.

Pah!  I agree it should have been a team in blue shirts that won, but not that one! 

If The Only Team in Blue That Matters couldn't win, then it should have been Liverpool  I don't know why, but I have always had a soft spot for them, and I was hoping they could do it. 

Still, Liverpool did manage to pluck defeat from the jaws of victory, so never mind.  It was theirs to lose...and they lost.  :(