Leotards/Uniform and bust support

balletla

Just to let you all know we have some Dans-ez bras in stock :) We chose the cross over tank bra and camisole bra (which has adjustable fathers at front) as these two styles seemed the most suitable for under leotards :)

We have also got the Degas 962 leotard in stock in turquoise and black - this is a tank leotard that a bra can easily be concealed underneath!

• Like 3

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come to think of it, would the stick-on bra work under leos?

And Lin, I've definitely seen proper backless bras somewhere.  I'd have thought M&S, or any decent lingerie department.  Wouldn't be surprised if John Lewis sold them, actually.

I remember buying a backless bra when I was a teenager or in my early twenties (many moons ago!), but have looked everywhere for one for my dd now and can't seem to find one anywhere.  Can't believe they don't sell them anymore.  However, the whole bra market has changed from what it used to be with places like M&S and Debenhams stocking mainly all their own brand and very little range from other traditional manufacturers like Gossard, Triumph, Fantasie etc. 

• Like 1

My girls had trouble with stick on bras in the past as once you start sweating under stage lights they come unstuck!

I agree. Which is why I think the "dance underwear" (by capezio / bloch etc) is best. No underwiring, no padding and it won't fall off ! x

The trouble with the dance underwear by Capezio/Bloch etc is that I suspect that it will be like their leotards not really above a size 12/14 so imagine bras will be too small :(

Could be wrong of course will look next week when in London!

I am fascinated by the idea of this backless bra!! How does it stay on then if it doesn't fasten at the back!

• Like 1

I had an idea when going swimming yesterday...... What about bra sized swimsuits? I've just had a quick look on figleaves and there are some which could work as leotards, and have a built in bra. They're fairly pricey if you are a 'less-than average' size but I'm sure if you shopped around you could find some.

Just looking on the Victoria's Secret website and there are some backless bras although I think they're all underwire bras (which seem to be more popular over here than in the UK). One of them is a bit weird - seems to be backless with adhesive cups, but it has a front closure. Why on earth would you need a front closure in a bra without a back?

http://www.victoriassecret.com/bras/strapless-and-multi-way/seamless-front-close-demi-bra-style-secrets?ProductID=112731&CatalogueType=OLS

Good to read other people's tips here. I've been trying out the Dans-ez Minimal Bounce 'Air'...

(I usually wear a Shock Absorber Ultimate Run bra which is the best sports bra I've tried - and I used to run a lot so I've been through a few - but has very obvious straps at the back. Fine for a class which doesn't have a uniform, but I struggled when I had to find something for a performance and ended up just wearing a leotard that was a bit too tight to "hold everything in" - thankfully our dance wasn't too long so it was OK-ish...)

I find the Dans-ez one very comfortable and I don't think you can see it at all under my Bloch tank leotard. I'm not totally convinced about how minimal the bouncing is though! It's fine for most things but not sure I feel entirely happy with it when jumping. I think the issue might be that I fall between two of their sizes though. I might experiment with taking a bit of length off the straps as they feel a bit too long.

The trouble with the dance underwear by Capezio/Bloch etc is that I suspect that it will be like their leotards not really above a size 12/14 so imagine bras will be too small :(

Could be wrong of course will look next week when in London!

I am fascinated by the idea of this backless bra!! How does it stay on then if it doesn't fasten at the back!

I hope I can ask about underwear, but not bras this time. My DD came upset after her JA class today saying that her RBS White Leo shows too much and she feels embarrassed. Any ideas? If she wears Briefs under it will show... I was thinking about sewing in a bit of White fabric? Did anyone come up with any ideas? I think I've heard that couple of years ago the RBS leotards didn't even have the extra lining at the front, that must have been even more difficult! JustBallet - we need children's, tinny size, seamless ballet underwear please!

• Like 1

Porselli dancewear which is an online stockist do a body for kids called the 'Loverfor' I think it is. It is a tank leotard in a V thin flesh coloured material that fits perfectly under the ja leotard. No knicker line & was about £10 a few years back so not expensive. Lots of my dd's class bought them a few years back and my dd also wore it for festivals & shows as it helped when changing.

Yep, we have the loverfor Leo too :) discreet thin flesh colour Leo with tanks straps and I think it's £9.99 :)

We also have our own camisole adult one coming in about 6 weeks, but will look into teeny pants as we've been asked for them in the shop too :)

Sx

• Like 3

When my dd's were ja's there was no internal lining on the leotards and yes, they were quite see through. They were told they had to wear knickers underneath even though my dd's never did with their regular leotards. The knickers had to be waist high though or the teacher complained about the line shown beneath the leotard. She wanted it hidden beneath theit belts. Finding white or flesh knickers was fine but finding waist high ones a different matter. It was a recurring problem each year. One parent found some at a market and kitted out many in the class, another grandma altered some waist high adult knickers to fit them. My younger dd felt that they had a tendancy to roll down throughout the lesson however hence the solution of the nude 'body' which also solved the issue of the see through top at the time. As this was a yearly problem, we always wondered why they didn't just ask for the leotards to be fully lined. Mind you, we also had sweatshirts which they had to pull off over a bun whilst trying to keep their hair immaculate. It was many years before someone had the fantastic idea of a sweatshirt with a front zip! :)

• Like 5

Hello Happymum,

My DD is a JA and she wears the loverfor. Works well. All the female JAs at our centre must wear something under their leo ( by request of teacher), some also wear white granny knickers or the bloch one. In fact the rule is, if you forget your ballet underwear you MUST wear your regular pants, even if they are illuminous/spotty, for modesty's sake. 

You can get big children's knickers from M&S. My DD preferred the body, less irritating..

p.s. Shelia if you get any small pants in let us know, cant find any anywhere, all too big for very slim children. they would be useful for shows/performances/class.

Edited by Snape

Why on earth doesn't the RBS change the leotards? It sounds as if they are immodest and quite unsuitable for girls who have any development at all. If teachers are insisting on underwear then there's clearly a problem and they should feed this back to the RBS. It's a ridiculous situation.

• Like 4

Why on earth doesn't tshe RBS change the leotards? It sounds as if they are immodest and quite unsuitable for girls who have any development at all. If teachers are insisting on underwear then there's clearly a problem and they should feed this back to the RBS. It's a ridiculous situation.

They do look nice as long as you wear something under them.We were told on our first day about it, bought the loverfor and spare big knicks, all sorted. I do like the look. They are lined at the front, just a bit thin. Maybe because with a white leo it is easier to see what the body is doing, each and every rib and muscle? None of DD's class are developed at all, you still don't want to see what is underneath! especially since 50% of the class are boys.

Thank you for all replies! I have PMd you Sheila.

My DD's problem with knickers is that she is very very slim. So I couldn't find anything White/flesh what will be snug but high waisted etc. I'm supriced that in one JA centre there are strict rules about wearing something under Leo and in other centre rather strict rules of nothing showing under leotard. Till recently my DD didn't think about it at all but she's very recently changed and I definately want to respect it and help her. Such shame that brands like capezio etc don't do children sizes as well.

• Like 2

Surely you'd need to wear knickers underneath anyway for hygiene?

Not really Pictures! Some schools are very strict

of never wearing knickers some say that no underwear for exams etc. You just wash the Leo at the end if the day like you'll do with your underwear. I'm sure that the rules are different for adults and older children but I generally think that it will be different if there were profesional ballet knickers available in small children sizes! They will just be a part of "school uniform" like leos, socks and ballet wraps! Every year for many years there are children/parents/schools having the same problem! Hope one day soon someone starts to produce such underwear and will make a fortune! (Just Ballet?)

• Like 1

Every day, wow- before she went to voc school I washed her leotard once every half term!

Exactly! I wash her "normal" ballet school leotards occasionally but hand-wash her JA leotard after every class! It's good the classes are just every other week!

Every half term! When my dd was younger (and didn't really sweat) I used to wash her leotard - worn once a week - every term! I'm probably going to be awarded the 'Slovenly Mother of the Year Award' now.

• Like 1