Sharp practice on the internet

MAB

There is currently an ad running on LBC offering to change negative reviews on the internet, e.g. a rogue builder wrecks your kitchen and walks away, you post a review telling the world he's a cowboy and said buider contacts this outfit and effectively makes your warning comments disappear.

Funnily enough the first I ever heard of this practice was when a continental critic told me that a moderator on one of the ballet fora (not this one!) earned a living from this kind of sharp practice.  Does anyone have details on how this works?  Is it actually legal?  I can't see it as moral.

I haven't heard the advert, so cannot pass comment, but I don't see how they can force a website to take down negative comments if the website has reviews.  Otherwise, how would Tripadvisor function?  There are plenty of negative comments on there.

I've looked at their website and they seem to be able to do something about the order in which comments are presented, pushing the bad reviews out of the way somehow, but surely that must include some form of hacking which is why I asked if what they do is strictly legal.  As for LBC, I don't believe they have any scruples at all, after all they regularly allow ads for loan sharks. 

Do you know what websites they were talking about?  Was it something like Rated People.com?

Again, the only website I use regularly that has comments is TripAdvisor.  Here, you can choose your sort order, which could be by star rating with the worst comments first.  Not sure how it works for other websites.