Elmhurst Associates

New to dance

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, really disappointed :( but dd has a tap exam fast approaching so I guess we'll focus on that and then we have summer school with a show at the end of July, so lots to look forward to. (But not the same! :wacko: )

I have also consoled myself with the fact that we don't have to drive to Birmingham every Saturday! (Even though we wanted nothing more! :rolleyes: )

Well done for all those that got a yes, it is a fantastic opportunity!

Hello

First timer here. My DS unexpectedly got a place for yr 4 Elmhurst associates. Does anyone have any idea of how many boys there might be? He has many questions that I can't answer!

Hello

First timer here. My DS unexpectedly got a place for yr 4 Elmhurst associates. Does anyone have any idea of how many boys there might be? He has many questions that I can't answer!

Hello and welcome to the forum and congratulations on your DS's place. I have a DD so cannot help sorry with regard to Elmhurst, I am sure there will be someone who will be able to answer your question.

Ax

Hi and welcome:) congrats to your ds in getting a place ! What a situation !! Must be hard being happy for one but consoling your other one :( sorry I have a dd too who got a place but don't know of any other ds who got in but there did seem a lot of boys there so should be a few x

cbt1, big hugs to your dd and to you - that must be a tricky one to deal with but please take heart. Many more girls audition than boys, it's statistically harder. I personally know of lovely girl dancers who have got nos - hope it doesn't put her off trying again.

With regard to the number of boys the short answer is not many! Last Saturday, we watched the Birmingham PVPs (now Birmingham Associates) from years 4 - 6 showcase a little of what they have been doing in class over the year. Not sure if all of the boys were present, but there were only 3 year 6 boys, 4 year 5 boys and maybe 5 or 6 year 4 boys (can't quite remember this one exactly) SImilar low boy numbers in JAs too - my daughter's year 6 class had just 5 boys. So fabulous boy to teacher ratios!

Hope your son has a lovely time as an associate!

Angela

• Like 1

Thank you so much Angela and grumpybearzuk - that is really helpful. I am just pleased by son will get a chance to dance with other boys for a change. He will have to pull his socks up though (literally and metaphorically). Daughter being very stoic but just keeping it all low key.....

Can anyone explain to me a little bit more about the associate classes in terms of class timings etc. I realise the ballet is the compulsory class - do optional jazz and exercise for children classes follow consecutively? Does everyone do them? My DSs dance teacher does not have anyone on the programmes and I don't really have anyone to ask.

Thanks so much for your help

Hi all the children in my dds dancing school who got in elmhurst last year also did exercise for children as our teacher recommended it. My dd will be doing exercise for children and ballet . As far as I know last year they started at 9.15 I think ballet was a hour they had 15 mins break and then it was exercise class. They didn't do jazz so can't help you with that .

Hi cbt1, yes this years Year 4 timetable was...

9:15-10:15 Ballet

15min break

10:30-11:30 Exercise For Children

15min break

11:45-12:45 Jazz

Not sure if the these times will stay the same from this Sept though.

It's up to you & your DS what other class/classes they do on top of the ballet. My DD did ballet & the exercise class when she was a Year 4 associate. She's now moving up to Year 6 in Sept & will still be doing ballet & the exercise class as she loved doing them & got so much out of them.

Elmhurst is a fantastic School & the associate classes are excellent... Enjoy every minute of it! :)

Edited by Tippy_Toes

Cbt1,

Sorry the times I listed was for the girls! I've found the timetable for the boys which was...

9:15-10:15 Ballet (Year 4 boys)

10:30-11:30 Ballet (Year 5 & 6 boys)

11:45-12:45 Exercise

1-2pm Jazz

So I presume the exercise & jazz classes Year 4 5 & 6 boys are taught together.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by Tippy_Toes