Not sure who was dancing Concertante when I saw it last Aileen .......not twenty six years ago though......I said just a very long time ago!! It wasn't even in existence twenty six years ago!! It would have been latter half of the 1990's though.

However am not sure which of the Dutch companies I saw ......I'm pretty sure it was Nederlands Dans Theater but could have been the Dutch National.

The only other work Ive seen of his is the Adagio Hammerklavier piece and that was a long time ago. I think it was the Royal Ballet I saw do this but again not completely sure.

I love the music to Hammerklavier (in fact all Beethovens late piano works) and wish it was performed more often here.

I would like to see his four Schumann pieces but will be interested to see this work too.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this young Dutch company and especially now I know how good the view will be in the Linbury!

I've just been putting up a review of Boston Ballet by Alan Helms and there is a powerful little truism of a phrase he uses about one of the works:
"When so much is offered, one rarely gets much of anything."

I think this in part applies to the Kenneth Tindall piece. That said it's the third work of Tindall's I've seen and the best to date - so he's heading in the right direction.

But that Alan Helms phrase is a beaut and applies much more widely.

• Like 2

I've just been putting up a review of Boston Ballet by Alan Helms and there is a powerful little truism of a phrase he uses about one of the works:

I think this in part applies to the Kenneth Tindall piece. That said it's the third work of Tindall's I've seen and the best to date - so he's heading in the right direction.

But that Alan Helms phrase is a beaut and applies much more widely.

A version perhaps of that old favourite:  'Sometimes less is more' .....It even has fewer words :)

What struck me in the Tindall was that there was (i) the potential (ii) for (in places amongst its many parts tis true) an original voice to beckon; one which occasionally strolled beyond the merely generic such as one is all too often nowadays entirely gifted with.  That made me smile. That I felt was most encouraging and certainly warranted Nixon's rightly supportive encouragement.    

Edited by Meunier

Northern Ballet fans who are able to attend performances in Leeds have been aware for some years of how versatile the dancers in the Company are from their wonderful performances in a very traditional Giselle, Kingdom of the Shades (Bayadere), various "war horse" pdd such as Don Q and now the last couple of years of mixed programmes at the Company's theatre in Quarry Hill.

It was significant for us that NB had the opportunity to show more of the Company with these mixed programme performances at the Linbury and fans from around the country had made the effort to attend the performance.

Lar Lubovitch's Concerto Six Twenty-two was new to me and is danced to one of my favourite pieces of music - Mozart's Clarinet Concerto.  The dancers performed the piece with uncontained and infectious joy.  I particularly enjoyed the trio danced by Jessica Morgan, Matthew Broadbent and Joseph Taylor - all tall long-limbed dancers who seemed to fill the stage.  Matthew Topliss, in only his first year in the company, excelled in his solo.  The central duet was sublimely danced by Giuliano Contadini and Matthew Koon - another dancer in his first year in the Company.  I found it a moving contrast to the more joyful outer sections.

I had already seen NB dancing Concertante in the mixed programme at Quarry Hill last year and enjoyed it very much.  It certainly has an aggressive, edgy feel to its depiction of relationships.  I thought all the dancers were wonderful but I must mention Toby Batley's sensational performance.

Kenny Tindall's choreography grabs me by the throat and makes me sit up!  Including a rehearsal for The Ultimate Form this is the third piece I have seen by him and I can see his growing confidence as a choreographer.  I think this piece is a super showcase both for his burgeoning skills and the dancers artistry.  Most unusually for me, I like its stop-start format as it makes the lighting almost an extra performer on the stage.  It was wonderful to see Ben Mitchell back guesting with the company in his created role and his insect-like entrances sliding across the floor on his back were just glorious.  Toby Batley's remarkable flexibility was also made great use of.

After the Saturday matinee performance there was a very enjoyable Q&A session with Kenny Tindall.

I think about half the Company dancers performed in this mixed programme and it was a great showcase for them and Northern Ballet.  I was very glad I had made the trip to see the performances.

Northern Ballet are back at the Linbury in May 2015 with another mixed programme.  I am looking forward to seeing Kenny Tindall's new piece The Architect with Concerto 6-22 and Concertante in Leeds next month.

• Like 3

I think this in part applies to the Kenneth Tindall piece.

I'd agree there: early on in the piece, I was thinking, "this really is a choreographer with an individual and distinctive voice", but by the end I felt he'd tried to cram a bit too many different things into it and it had lost some of its focus, and perhaps its originality.  But I can certainly see why he's been getting these opportunities.

Lar Lubovitch's Concerto Six Twenty-two was new to me and is danced to one of my favourite pieces of music - Mozart's Clarinet Concerto.  The dancers performed the piece with uncontained and infectious joy.  

I think this was a piece I'd have appreciated more in a larger theatre, with more room to sit back and view the thing as a whole.  As it was, and as close to the stage as I was, I found the relentless smiles and joyfulness a bit overwhelming, to be honest.  I'd very much appreciate a chance to see the male pas de deux of the middle section again, though.  Anyway, it's good to see NB with a triple bill again (surely they must have done *something* since I last saw them do one in 1990?!) - the dancers were clearly inspired by the works - and I look forward to seeing what they bring in 2015.

I think this was a piece I'd have appreciated more in a larger theatre, with more room to sit back and view the thing as a whole.  As it was, and as close to the stage as I was, I found the relentless smiles and joyfulness a bit overwhelming, to be honest.  I'd very much appreciate a chance to see the male pas de deux of the middle section again, though.  Anyway, it's good to see NB with a triple bill again (surely they must have done *something* since I last saw them do one in 1990?!) - the dancers were clearly inspired by the works - and I look forward to seeing what they bring in 2015.

Yes they have Alison, just not in London.  Leeds has been treated to a number of mixed programmes over the years.  Some of the highlights have been Simple Man, Dividing the Silence, Angels in the Architecture, Jardi Tancat, Kingdom of the Shades from Bayadere, Lambarena - all of which have been seen at Leeds Grand.  And this will be the third year that the company has performed a mixed programme in its own theatre at Quarry Hill in Leeds.

• Like 1