Emma Maguire

Thoughts, love and condolences go out to Emma Maguire and her family for the tragic and senseless loss of her mother, Anne Maguire.

It's just too awful, if reported in most papers now. Here is but one link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10794504/Leeds-teacher-murder-boy-15-in-custody-after-Anne-Maguire-stabbed-to-death.html

Nobody can make sense of such events, all we can do is surround those involved with our love and support from afar.

• Like 16

I'm sure there will be many messages of support as the day unfolds, but I just saw this from Jonathan Watkins (@JustWatkins) on Twitter and it seems to express so well what we all feel:

"An incomprehensible tragedy. My thoughts and strength to Emma and the Maguire family at this very difficult time. RIP Anne."

• Like 1

As news of this dreadful event broke yesterday, I was unaware that the victim was Emma's mother.  The connection is also mentioned in this morning's Times front page coverage.  I completely endorse Bruce's opening message of love and support in the circumstances.

To add to those from DanceTabs and the Ballet Association, a simple message of sympathy from the Forum, with a link to this thread, has been posted on Twitter.

• Like 2

Terrible, terrible news. She sounds like she was a lovely lady and wonderful teacher and such a loss to her family and friends. My thoughts are with Emma and her family and everyone affected x

Everyone is shocked and saddened by the violent death of Mrs Maguire.

Perhaps nowhere is that shock and sadness felt more than in this metropolitan county of West Yorkshire.  The school at which she taught is well known in Leeds. Most of us here have business in that city that will have brought, or will bring, us into contact with someone who has studied there or has some other connection with the school.  

I adopt and repeat all the expressions of sympathy that have been expressed here.

By an awful  coincidence I heard a teacher who has a book published this week being interviewed on LBC at the weekend, he had serious concerns about the level of violence towards teachers in the classrooom and the book was about worrying examples that he had collated from teachers around the country.

When I was a kid I can remember the 3rd year boys coming into school with flick-knives and knuckle dusters, but at that time it was just for bravado, I can't remember them ever using the things.  Have heard ideas about metal detectors in schools which sounds extreme to me but perhaps if such things were introduced it might prevent a further tragedy.  The whole thing is quite terrible and it seems Mrs Maguire was so loved by generations of pupils that an awful ripple effect is affecting a very large number of people in her community too.  Unspeakably horrible.

• 2 weeks later...