Boys - JA audition

Squeaky

My 9yr old has a JA on Tuesday - any hints and tips anyone can give me to 'help' him?

He is  very excited and a little bit nervous obviously
I have explained to him to just do what he loves (and remember stretched feet haha) and let that love of ballet shine through - just enjoy the experience.

Its many many many moons since I auditioned ! 

• Like 3

thank you for the reply :)

Because I have danced in the past I do try to make sure I am not being a one of them pushy ambitious type ones with him but equally I sometimes I wonder if I

too hands off with him - so its nice to know that telling him to enjoy the experience is ok  :D

Good luck to your DS as well - its all very exciting!

Hi Squeaky! Good luck to your DS! This was my DS this time last year so I know how you feel. My DS looked so nervous going in...especially as there were so many more girls! But he was offered a place and we are now nearing the end of his first year as a JA.

I think the advice you have given him is perfect. Try to enjoy himself, listen carefully to the teachers. Oh, and obvious things like make sure he goes to the loo before he goes in!!!! :-)

Very best of luck to him!

• Like 1

Thank you boyohboy  :D

Bless him he keeps getting 'waves' of excitement and dashing round the house with a mad looking grin on his face.

It will be great if he gets accepted but not the end of the world if he doesn't!  Thankfully girls don't phase him at all - he is used to be often being the only boy!  Mind you at comps yesterday he was happy to finally see another boy in his section.

Can I ask how your lad has found the J Associate programme?  How is it arranged normally - 1 day in a week, I take it they try to arrange it for a weekend etc?

• Like 1

Hi Squeaky,

Yes, our classes are once a week, mainly term-time, and they are 2.5hrs. I think some centres have fortnightly lessons. Most are on a Saturday or Sunday but I believe some centres have Friday classes?

My boy has found it quite intensive (he's pretty tired when he comes out!) but it has made a huge difference to his strength and technique. The teacher is truly excellent. He still does his regular classes at home too and his regular teacher has seen a big difference in his dancing as a result of the JA class. He also has exercises to do at home which he is meant to do every day!

Hope this helps and good luck again!

Just to update you - the boy done good :D
He came out with a beaming smile on his face, although when asked minutes after what he had done 'I forgot' was dismissively (as in he can't be chewed to tell me!! lol).  There was one other boy in his group and one came out in the group before.  Does anyone know how many places approx. they have to offer per class?

Piecing together during ensuing conversation it was a simple ballet class - barre, centre and some conditioning.  Said the teacher only corrected him once in a back stretch.

He LOVED it and is now excited for the results which are due end of June/early July.

So proud of him and now it seems like an eternal wait!

Thank you for the advice and support :D

• Like 1

Sounds great Squeaky! As long as he enjoyed it and came out happy, that is the main thing!

Class sizes seem to vary greatly between centres - I don't think there is a set class size - well there is probably a maximum but I wouldn't know how high that is. At our centre the Yrs 4, 5 and 6 are in the same JA class so all our Yr 6's will be moving out of the class, making room for new students across all 3 year groups. So the number of new places given will depend on how much space is freed up AND how many good students they saw at the audition. 

Good luck! You are right, it is the waiting to hear that is the worst!!!