Splits

Nutcracker-x

Hi,

Does anyone know any good stretches for the splits?

I stretched everyday for about an hour and use the same stretches each day and although I've improved a lot, I haven't seemed to of gone down an further in the last month or so?

Thanks in advance

Nutcracker-x x

Hi Nutcracker,

My observation of my dc and splits is that progress seems to come in fits and starts. There have definitely been stages of no apparent progress - this is in a child, who is naturally very flexible.... DC did find it helpful to stretch after a warm bath or shower.

I think it is important to hold each stretch at least 15-30secs rather than doing short bounces. I don't think we know any miraculous stretches I'm afraid. For right/left splits dc does lunges and also lying on back pulling straight leg in towards body. For box splits sitting with legs apart against a wall and pushing in towards the wall. Also, sitting in straddle and bending forwards to get chest on floor.

I think you do have to be patient. It can take months....years....

Lastly, flexibility is only one aspect of dancing. DC has a friend who is much less flexible but has made much better progress overall than DC in dancing. ....

Good luck!

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 2

Hi Nutcracker-x this isn't really something that people can advise over the internet without seeing you. Have you asked your teacher for any help?

Having said that, SarahW has described some of the usual stretches that most people do and gave good advice about holding the stretches for a long time - I recommend a minimum of 30 seconds for any.  

Always warm up before stretching, by doing at least 10 minutes of continuous exercise that makes you a bit out of breath. Have a look online for videos or descriptions of these stretches: forward lunge (front foot should be flat on the floor with the knee at 90 degrees), reverse lunge, any hamstring stretches, hip flexor stretches, glutes stretches. Go for sites/videos that are made by physiotherapists or reputable sports teams/coaches or dance companies/teachers rather than those made by students.

Be very careful not to push any stretches too hard as you might hurt yourself. Also make sure that you choose stretches that you can get out of quickly if you do feel sharp pain suddenly. 

• Like 1

Hi my dd does the front splits DVD it worked after 6 months, she also has tight hip and low back ,we massage a ball under her bottom to release the tension.

I would recommend a one off session with a sports therapist ,try not to worry as my dd,s old teacher told me you have to be born flexible,to do the slits rubbish,hard work and determination, when given the right exercise,s anything is possible.

Good luck

I can't say I know many exercises to help with splits other than the ones previously mentioned however one thing id say is that I find it easier to stretch while reading or watching TV. It distracts you from what you're doing but obviously you're still doing it. Another thing is playing a short piece of music while you're siting in the splits or other not-so-comfy stretches. This helps as you know that once the music is over then you can relax so it encourages you to stay in that position at least till then.

Hope this helps and good luck with your stretches!

• Like 1