What is ballet to you?

Thecatsmother

Thanks Anjuli_Bai, I subscribe to TED but somehow missed that. I enjoyed the talk very much.

Before I answer the question "What is ballet to me" I must also say how much I enjoyed watching Kathleen Breen Combes when Boston Ballet visited London last year. I saw her dance on the 4 July of all days.

There are two possible ways to approach the question:

• What are the hallmarks of ballet as opposed to other styles of dance?; or
  • What is the value of ballet to me?

My answer to the first question by the first approach is anything that is linked to the tradition that began at the 17th century French court, developed in the Paris Opera and Denmark, spread to Russia and was brought back to the rest of the world by Diaghilev.

My answer to the second question is that is one of the most important things in my life.

• Like 1

I guess ballet for me came into my life at the age of 2 and a half. I do not really know what it meant to me then. I guess it has meant different things at different times in my life and even on different days of my life.

It is a source of fascination.

A way to harness my inner determination.

A constant striving for something which is always just out of reach.

There are moments when I think "why do I bother" but then there are other moments which are so magical that all the "why bother" moments become insignificant.

There are times when it feels like I can lose myself in the music and it's like we become one. I think this is one of the things that draws me back again and again.

I like that I can dance and express the way I feel without having to utter a word.

I like the creativity, the music, the artistry, the beauty and the way I feel after a good class.

Although it can be a source of stress, it can also be a source of de-stress.

I think the multiplicity of elements pleasurable aspects of dance is hard to replicate and once sampled difficult to let go.

• Like 2