Too poor to dance!

kiwimum

Sadly I have pupils who have come to the same conclusion for when they will audition in a couple of years. It doesn't matter that the other children in the family aren't dancers, they still have their needs. So they will only be looking at degree courses which allow for student loans. It doesn't help your situation kiwimum, but at least you know you aren't alone. Of course from next year there will be many changes in funding arrangements.

There may be a chink of light on the horizon....have found that the metropolitan line extends to Chesham, next door to Tring....and that Tring may take oyster cards so it may be ok yet.....if I can find a teaching job in the area !!!!

• Like 6

check out the 'Oxford Tube' aswell - it may not be a feasible option as journey times may be too long - it is a coach service from Oxford to London that runs every 10 mins. Daily adult return fare is £16 and 2 under 16s can accompany free and I know they do a student rate of about £10-11. Although the journeys start at Oxford the outermost stop is at the junction of the M40 so depending where you are living that might only be a few minutes drive. It stops at a number of places in London too but not being very familiar with either London or Oxford I couldn't say how convenient the locations are. I have friends who have used this service and been happy with it - though not for a daily commute. Good luck.

• Like 1

There may be a chink of light on the horizon....have found that the metropolitan line extends to Chesham, next door to Tring....and that Tring may take oyster cards so it may be ok yet.....if I can find a teaching job in the area !!!!

I live 10 mins from Tring and as far as I know Oyster cards are not currently accepted - although I did hear there may be plans to widen the Oyster "catchment zone" some time - I'm not sure whether this is imminent or not though.

edited to add:

Tring is a hike from Chesham.

sorry to sound negative- not my intention x

Edited by Gingerbread

Hi Kiwimum ive been on facebook and "liked" your page your Dd is stunning as is all your children, and it was lovely seeing some of the girls my Dd has danced with in Tring whilst with NYB, small world :)

I also beleive that things happen for a reason, even if your upset and not sure what they are at the time, when you look back you realise things normally work out even though it was a different path you intended to walk :unsure: .

We're in the same postion as you reguarding travel costs with my Dd. she has been given waiting list for funding at tring over the last 2 years and Dd was heart broken this year not to get away for her GCSE years but it just means we get to keep her a little longer, and as she was at her lowest she had some fab news that she has been lucky enough to be offered a SA for RBS London so the feeling that she wasn't "classical" and would never get anywhere had a plaster put over it, she's been an associate for 5 years and have never done any of the courses offered because off the traveling costs so we were thinking we would have to turn it down when a media student phoned me out of the blue and asked if she could do a story for her course, I couldn't beleive the timing and said yes please and its turned out the student is doing her inturn for our regional news papers and from the article my Dd was even asked on our local radio to appeal, so far we've not heard anything, but we've got our fingers crossed someone will come forward with something towards travel costs.

I do beleive in what is meant to be will be, but it is hard lesson for the children to learn, so good luck with your search for solutions to your problem, i've got my fingers crossed for both our Dd's

x

• Like 5

Oyster cards are valid from Chesham. :-). Kiwimum, your dd may be eligible for some sort of zip card as my nieces have them and they are a similar age to your dd.

Tring is only 9 miles from Chesham; I used to live in Chesham. :-)

• Like 1

As I thought: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14308.aspx

When your dd turns 18 there is also an 18+ student zip card. :-)

If she is ineligible because you don't live in a London Borough, then she could have a 16-25 National Railcard and then apply the railcard to an Oyster card to get the discount: http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/railcard-discounts/

• Like 1

Oh I do hope so - even if it just gives you some breathing space to let some of your other fundraising ideas come to fruition..good luck xx
  • Like 3

Oyster cards are valid from Chesham. :-). Kiwimum, your dd may be eligible for some sort of zip card as my nieces have them and they are a similar age to your dd.

Tring is only 9 miles from Chesham; I used to live in Chesham. :-)

sorry i got the wrong end of the stick- I was imagining walking from Chesham station was the plan!! :wacko:

• Like 3

Was just thinking today about the lack of funding issue. I`m going to be controversial here, so here goes. I know Government departments can`t change funding over from one dept. to another,but you would think that they would be trying to support the endeavours of decent young people who wish to make a successful life for themselves. I doubt very much any aspiring dancer is the type of young person to get caught up in rioting or looting,yet funds for their dreams are being scuppered. Funny, isn`t it, the way the Government can afford to spend in the region of £50 million a YEAR trying to have some undesireable deported back to his own country. Yet the funds for a few years of training in the Arts is somehow seen as a luxury. Totally messed up.

• Like 6

My MP has been in touch and is bringing the overlap in depts up with the minister. I did almost laugh when the young lady I spoke to from one of the depts involved reminded me the ceiling for help is £33000. I pointed out that someone with 2 MDS and 2 Dadas could feasibly be paying £26000 a year and she said yes, that was how it was! You have to laugh or you would cry:)

• Like 4

I`m going to be controversial here, so here goes. I know Government departments can`t change funding over from one dept. to another,but you would think that they would be trying to support the endeavours of decent young people who wish to make a successful life for themselves.

I have a lot of sympathy with this view. I was involved in a campaign from 2009-2011 to secure the long term future of a secondary dance school. There were many occasions when we became angry and frustrated at the amount of funding that seems to go elsewhere. However, although it was good to blow of steam we found a more productive way to take action and what ultimately was a successful strategy was to focus on the positive stories from the school. We publicised all the fantastic things about the school; raised it's profile (particularly with politicians) and hopefully made the decision makers realise it was too valuable a resource to lose. I still think arts organisations are too reticent and do not make a big enough thing about how successful they are and the fantastic young people who come through their doors. Organisations such as Northern Ballet and Phoenix who are opening their doors to the public in a couple of weeks time are getting there but I still believe that Ballet and Performing Arts Schools should promote what they do to a wider audience and perhaps politicians would be more keen when allocating funding to put more in that direction. At the end of the day politicians support causes and take action in areas which will get them noticed.

I hope things work out KiwiMum and your daughter is able to attend ENBS :)

• Like 5

Thought I would let you know the final decision. Because she has had an offer of practical help with lodgings from a friend at schools parents (who live within easy tube travel) and the tube being do-able....she is going to ENB. Am feeling very nervous this morning as everything has been put on the line and I have turned down her MDS offer at Tring (no easy decision as I LOVE the school and the teaching there...) but in the end we have gone with what dd wants as it could be do-able and I pray it is the right decision. Time will tell...but at least she won't have regrets about not trying to make it happen.

Meanwhile, some littl'un from the waiting list is going to get a lovely surprise when an offer of an MDS come through today :)

• Like 23

Thought I would let you know the final decision. Because she has had an offer of practical help with lodgings from a friend at schools parents (who live within easy tube travel) and the tube being do-able....she is going to ENB. Am feeling very nervous this morning as everything has been put on the line and I have turned down her MDS offer at Tring (no easy decision as I LOVE the school and the teaching there...) but in the end we have gone with what dd wants as it could be do-able and I pray it is the right decision. Time will tell...but at least she won't have regrets about not trying to make it happen.

Meanwhile, some littl'un from the waiting list is going to get a lovely surprise when an offer of an MDS come through today :)

So pleased that its all worked out for you... How exciting...New ventures ahead.

Masses of luck for the future to her... :D

• Like 1

so pleased for both you and your DD. I think that is a really good solution as I am sure the travelling would have taken its toll eventually and she won't be in London at 16 on her own which I am sure will give you some peace of mind. Was it really MDS for 6th form, I thought it was only DADAs for post 16 training? Wishing your DD all the best for her future training.

• Like 1

Tring does offer MDS places to a few students in the 6th form to facilitate their continued training at the school which is an amazing deal because it covers vocational uniform and a music lesson. My DD had been given one of those so had not auditioned for a DaDa place at Tring. The fact that she is so happy there and it was such a great offer made the decision all the harder.

• Like 1