Intermediate Foundation

smallbythesea

I was just wondering how long it was from your child starting these classes to them being entered for the exam?

Obviously I am aware that each child is different.

My dd dance teacher only teaches part time so I have been looking at additional classes. One of the classes she has been offered is the intermediate foundation. Although we can make the class at present, once she passes her next exam for her 'core' classes, her classes will be later in the day & therefore she would be unable to make the intermediate foundation class.

I don't want to start her on something that she would be unable to complete.

It took my dd over 2 years from starting Inter Foundation to doing her exam. The Inter Foundation classes at her local school are on a Saturday, so initially they clashed when dd was dancing at Tring (on their "old" version of Tring Park Associates), and then they clashed with her present Associate class.

She learned almost all of the syllabus at private and semi private lessons. She was supposed to take the exam last summer but we were on holiday, so she took it in November. Having been on course for a distinction, she was very ill on the day of the exam and got a merit.

If the new Inter Foundation syllabus is like the new Intermediate, then I think she would have learned it more quickly as there are fewer exercises to learn now (although many exercises combine steps).

My dd has done inter foundation about 3 years now... she is only turning 11 on Monday so is just eligible to do the exam now. She studied the old syllabi for 2 years, and has spent about a year learning the new one. She should be taking her exam in July!!

So it seems like she has been studying this vocational grade forever, but she has had so much fun and loves her vocational classes :wub:

Cx

Edited by charlie4dancin

learning ballet is not just about taking exams! if the aim is to increase the number of classes that your dd is taking then I would suggest that it doesn't matter if she takes the exam or not for now. She can always go back to it at another time if future schedules allow!

Because of the requirement to do some pointe work it can take a long time to take this exam. A girl may start the class at 10 but if she doesn't start pointe until she is 12 (fairly typical) she won't do the exam for several months after that at least.

As the Intermediate Foundation exam is optional, your dd could usefully go to the classes and learn the work without it necessarily leading to taking the exam. In the new syllabus IF really does provide a useful foundation for the Intermediate exam, many of the exercises are similar and you can see how the more difficult Intermediate builds on the work learnt in IF.

• Like 2

Think we've decided against the IF for now.

DD has her core classes on a Saturday & after speaking with her teacher today, her teacher has given permission for her to go another dance school for a 2 hour class (barre work,body conditioning,strenthening & flexibility) & also to audition for Yorkshire ballet scholarship centre. She has also said that she can join in with the ballet class the grade above on a week night.

Think that will keep her busy for now

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any tips for doing well in the exam? Also any advice re what to wear. DD has been told to wear soft pontes, but most dance schools we know don't use these?

Definately wear soft points if she is used to them, If not, full soled shoes with ribbons! I know the RAD have relaxed the rules on split soles but I am sure that this is only because it was hard to enforce and they still don't recommend them. Better safe than sorry as many examiners have been around for years and my gut feeling is that they can do their job more effectively if watching a student who in their eyes has definately been training in what they would consider suitable footwear.

As to doing well, just work hard and enjoy the experience. You have done well even to be considered capable of a vocational grade and like with any performances so much depends on what happens on the day. I loved exams because it was a chance to get lost in the music and just dance without a teacher interrupting!

I got the impression that split soles were discouraged for younger children as they didn't strengthen the feet as much. By the time they're in inter foundation though and en pointe they shouldn't really need thd resistance of a full sole any more.

I would ask the teacher though and go with what he or she says ;)

Edited to add: I think the Demi-pointe shoes for intermediate and above have been much harder to enforce but they are still required.

Edited by Aurora

Wasn't there a whole thread on the use of split soled shoes in RAD exams? Too tired now - will have a look tomorrow if I get the chance (dance showcase so might be a bit busy ;) )

• Like 1