Stain removal

taxi4ballet

Please does anyone know how to get newsprint off a pale cream carpet?

Been away for a couple of days and left dh in charge of a small bit of decorating. He decided to carefully lay down newspaper so as not to get emulsion on the carpet, and then spent both days walking back and forth over the newspaper without a thought to what might be happening underneath. All the newsprint is now ground into the carpet...

Help!!!

If you have Oxi-Clean over there, you could try that.It's really good for things like tea and coffee stains, but I'm not sure newsprint ink is organic. Worth a try, though. I had a look online and I saw one page suggesting a combination of Oxi-Clean and rubbing alcohol. Sounds as though you'd want to keep the windows open if you were using that combination!

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-ink-stains-from-carpet/

Just don't rub the carpet with anything or it'll grind it in. Blot the stains with a cloth or - you know - soak your husband with Oxi-Clean and rubbing alcohol and roll him gently back and forward across the floor.

• Like 5

Just don't rub the carpet with anything or it'll grind it in. Blot the stains with a cloth or - you know - soak your husband with Oxi-Clean and rubbing alcohol and roll him gently back and forward across the floor.

I'll try anything once!!! :D

Not sure about the rubbing alcohol though, as it is a foam-backed carpet.

It's a fairly cheap carpet in dd's bedroom - ironic as she's spent several years being so careful and hasn't ever dropped her mascara brush or dripped nail varnish on it - so you can imagine she is rather annoyed with her dad!

We are probably going to have the carpets in the whole house professionally cleaned this summer, so it might have to wait till then and we'll get everything done in one go.

If she's still using the bedroom, she'll need to be careful to stay away from the areas with the ink or it'll be a lot harder to clean when you get the carpet cleaners in. If the room isn't being used, professional cleaning sounds like the safest option.

If you can get your hands on Krud Kutter - Original - that will do the trick.  We had gloss paint and all sorts of unknown stains on a foambacked carpet when we first moved into our current house.  It removed the lot.  Agree totally that you should be dabbing not rubbing though.  I've heard cheap hairspray suggested as an alternative to rubbing alcohol but I've always used Krud Kutter for stains so I cannot comment on how effective other methods are.

• Like 1

If she's still using the bedroom, she'll need to be careful to stay away from the areas with the ink or it'll be a lot harder to clean when you get the carpet cleaners in. If the room isn't being used, professional cleaning sounds like the safest option.

Ah - well she'd have to do a grand jete from the doorway to get into bed then, as it's all over the carpet!

I will look out for Krud Kutter, haven't heard of it before and anything is worth a try :)

• Like 1