Australian Ballet School

SBallerina

Hello SBallerina, I guess you have already looked at the website http://www.australianballetschool.com.au/ .There is also a Facebook page. The main intake for full time is at level 4 (usually 13 yrs as at Jan 1st of the year of starting at the school) and the majority of the students selected have been in the interstate or part time programme. It is very difficult to get a place in levels 5-8. The school year starts in January (like all of Australia and NZ). There are no boarding facilities. The students have academic lessons at the Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School (VCASS) and have dance for around 4 hours per day, Monday to Saturday. The majority of the students are Australian with a few New Zealanders and Asian (usually Japanese) students. The head of the school is Marilyn Rowe who is retiring at the end of this year, Lisa Pavane has been appointed the new director.

As Lucinda said the main intake is at level 4 ages 13-14. Levels 1-3 are the part time students on the associates. Level 5-8 (4 years) barely take any through the auditions student will need to be exceptional only a couple of students get accepted in these years. Upon graduation it is very difficult to get a job, there are so few companies, the same goes for the. NZ school of dance. Some of the girls will try for o/s schools but find his very difficult as they have not built up connections or have the knowledge if you had trained in Europe. This is why more and more Aussie girls are heading for Europe to train from the age of 16.

• Like 1

Hello SBallerina,

Are you currently based in the Southern Hemisphere?  If not, you would have to consider the implications of moving away from your family to the other side of the world.

I know a lot of Australians and New Zealanders do it the other way round but I've not heard of anyone going from here to Australia just for the training.  You do have to consider the long term job prospects.  Remember that a number of dancers in British companies are from Austrialia or New Zealand and the bulk of them completed their training at upper schools in the UK (just off the top of my head - Steven McRae, Alex Campbell, Jenna Roberts, Callie Roberts, Delia Matthews).

Janet: I'm from Norway, so the travel will be awfully long if I end up applying.

I find it really hard to apply for scgools because I don't know much about them. I'm 18, and I would like to go to a school with main focus on ballet.

I'm just checking every opportunity..

A boy who was a friend of my dd moved to Australia with his family at 14. He went to the Australian Ballet School but at 18 headed straight back to the UK. He worked on cruise ships for a short while but is now in a West End show as a dancer. He told my dd he had no prospect of work as a dancer in Australia.

Thanks Fiz and Janet. I think it is such a shame that it is as hard as it is to get into classical ballet schools for 18-year olds. I understand the physical abilities criteria, and that you can train a 16 year old to what you want in an easier way than 18 year olds.

From another view: I didn't start to improve in ballet until the autumn I started high school.. I've been training seriously in almost 3 years, not from I was ten .

I really hope there is a school for me out there, and I will not give up quite yet, though it is tough to alway be positive and stay encouraged.

• Like 1

SBallerina if you read through the Upper School threads you will see that many of the UK schools welcome 18 year olds to audition for their diplomas/degrees - have you applied for entry anywhere this year? Echoing others responses,I have a friend in Sydney and her DD will be heading to the UK to complete her dancing studies - there is a lack of opportunity for dance related work there.

If you look at their website you will see that they have had success at the Genee and have Alumni at ENB amongst other places. In the third year they tour in China so you get some great performance experience - there is a thread running so check it out and good luck :)

Also coming from Norway Scoptland might be an easier transition for you.

My brother did it the opposite way and moved from Scotland to Sweden (but not wrt Ballet :))

But that is just based on impressions not any knowledge....

Hi SBallerina,

we are in Australia too - just about to move to the UK. I doubt it would be worthwhile applying for ABS at this age and as others have said, the opportunities for work here are slim. Also, the Australian Ballet company does a lot of contemporary work, even their ballet productions are often very new choreography.  That isn't a criticism, I just noticed that you seem keen on a very classical route. My dd is also focussed on classical so has never aspired to the AB.

Best wishes