Recommendations for a pilates DVD please

sophieschoice

Hello

We don't live in the UK and I can't find a pilates class for my DD aged 12.   They only offer adult classes during the day so of no use.   So I thought Id get a DVD and then she can practise at home.  She does 4.5 hours of ballet a week.

Does anyone have a good recommendation please?  I thought this would be a great place to ask.   All suggestions most gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Hello

The floor barre series available to buy online from the royal opera house shop is also good if it is of interest. It is the one that comes in three levels and uses students from Stuttgart Ballet School. My advice would be go for an easier level rather than a harder one as there is a lot in these DVD's so they could be worked through in sequence.

You could ask if one of the adults Pilates teachers is able to have a one-off private session with your DD. It's very important to do the even most basic, simply looking exercise correctly, with good posture, using core muscles in a right way.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but DC would like a floor barre dvd.  I'm not sure which one would suit their level and don't want to make a mistake buying one that is not the right level.  They are Adv 1 standard.  Does anyone have any experience of these, or can recommend something suitable please?

IBD23, your post spooked me a little as I could have written it myself about DD! She is studying Adv Foundation and Adv 1 (RAD) at the moment. Balleteacher, i would be very grateful if you could please suggest the appropriate level of the floor barre DVDs you have recommended from the ROH shop for Adv F/Adv 1 students?

• Like 1

I have only done mid level one thus far but now have beginners too as thought it might be more beneficial to work through the levels. Will look at beginners tomorrow and report back. The intermediate one is quite full on and uses vocational students so will see what beginners is like before I comment as always think it's better to start something and do it properly then build up as opposed to take on something too hard and not get the full benefit.

• Like 1

The students on the beginners level Floor Barre DVD are approx 12-13. It is slightly slower paced than the intermediate but although when you start watching it you might think it looks simple the exercises are deceptively tricky to do correctly utilising the correct muscle groups. I would say it would be particularly good for dancers trying to develop a stronger core and ability to hold turn out. Just a note that the students on the DVD have a fairly good range of turnout so if a student does not have this degree of mobility they should not be trying to force their feet onto the floor in the exercises lying on their stomach other than as a brief stretch.

It has about a 40 minute instructed version where all the exercises are taught and done to music and then a shorter version which is just the exercises.

The other DVD which I have used for floor barre is the Lisa Howell Injury Recovery DVD which teaches you how to do most barre exercises lying against a wall for resistance and then has specific strengthening exercises. This is something which could be more tailored if you wanted to work on specific areas and exercises.

The Darcey Bussell Pilates DVD is also useful but sometimes it's good to have a bit of variety if you can afford it:)

Hope this helps.

• Like 1