Accommodation for central students 2014

Jazzpaws

I'm looking for some advice on this please. We were unable to attend the Central open day, and although a pack is coming, that will be in a little while. DD is 16 and living away from home for the first time - where do most of the Central students stay x

This year there are a few students staying at Hyelm but this is closing.

It depends on whether you want catered or self catering accommodation.

Next year quite a few students are staying at Student Castle. This is self-catered but nearer to the school. If you want catered then look at Guy Chester. This is very good value for money but quite a distance from the school. The students arrive at the school for 8am to warm up and at the moment my dd is leaving Hyelm at 7.15am. 

Student Castle is about 20 minutes away from the school.

• Like 1

Hi Jazzpaws, Just wondering how you are going looking at accomodation for Central. We just got our yes letter today and now I am busily looking online for accomodation options. As we are going to have to organise this from Australia...sight unseen I wondered if you or anyone else might be able to share some slightly more local knowledge as it comes to hand. Things like srrounding areas where to avoid etc...probably best in a PM.

I am not sure that an official guardian would be needed - boarding schools require them because they close during exeats and school holidays and the pupils need to have somewhere to go.  In fact DH and I were discussing this just the other day.  When he was at boarding school (parents abroad) it was always an option to stay at school during exeats and holidays, although he often went to his Godfather's family. 

I decided to apply for Queenalex, because my daughter is just 16 years old...and is quite near enbschol.

It's an accommodation only for girls. I think it's a good option because there is breakfast and dinner included in the price.

• Like 1

Hadn't heard of Student Castle so looked it up - amazing looking but goodness me.... surely out of most people's reach financially at between £11.5k and £15k a year! But I suppose if you can afford it it's worth looking at.

There are some twin studios to share , which works out nearly £8000 per year for each. The single rooms grouped  in clusters start at around £11,500.I spoke to someone today and quite a lot of Central students are there, but must be beyond reach unless you share.  Students also need a UK guarantor to be able to pay instalments. Does anyone know where else Central students stay ?

After the YMCA place closed a couple of years ago my impression from my DS who is in his final year is that most Central students live in shared flats. He has lived in the same flat since the beginning of his second year. The flat is a short, free bus journey from the school and is definitely the most economical way to live in London (compared to student accommodation). It also has the advantage of being flexible re mealtimes because as they move through the school their days because less predictable. For example in third year they start later and finish later and are now away at least one day each week on tour. He lives near Caledonian Road.

The costs work out at £6,000 per year which also includes utility bills.

Edited to add cost.

Edited by veryskint
  • Like 1

I lived at St.Dorothy`s Convent in beautiful Hampstead.The nuns were lovely and really looked after us.Breakfast and evening meals included Mon to Fri. I have very fond memories of the place. Hampstead tube station is on the Northern Line so very convenient to central London. Just to add,it`s for females only,and there is a night time curfew [think it`s 10 or 10.30] so they are not allowed out very late at night ,which is reassuring for parents.!!

Edited by thequays

Can't believe the difference in price between Student Castle and Queen Alexandra House where all the ENB girls stay. QAH is only £2,890.21 per year (or less if smaller room) & that also includes food! I know it is a long way from Central, but surely worth considering if money is tight. Even with a tube season ticket it still works out so much cheaper.

I have found some accommodation at a place called Unite - they have a facility in Tottenham with single ensuite rooms in clusters of 3-7. Price range GBP149 - GBP165 p/w. This is the only place I have found which will accept overseas guarantors so if anyone else is interested in booking within the same cluster as my DD we could potentiall fill a Flat/ cluster with central students. PM me if you are interested.

I think macnatt is talking about here:

http://www.unite-students.com/london/emily-bowes-court

DS stayed in a Unite property in his second year that was within 10/15 mins walk of Central and really convienient for him. Unfortunately the whole of that accomodation has been taken over by a University for their students. Unite were one of only a few companies that would have under 18's live there. Apparently, so I was told but unsure how true it is, it's an insurance thing' regarding under 18's and could vary from area to area in London.

Another place with accomodation near Old Street that was for over 18's and when we went to look at the place, with a view to staying in another property owned by the same company that would have under 18's, the manager once having met DS said he would be happy to have DS to stay even though he was under 18.

DS now lives near Borough/Elephant & Castle and gets the bus to Central. He's in a flat sharing with 2 others from his year for about £150 per person per week+bills.

Look at where the accomodation is in regard to how easy it is to get directly to Central without having to change.

Hi Lottie, the property I was referring to is "north lodge" I think it is on the same street as the "Emily Bowes" residence... I don't know how to do that clever link but they both appear to be owned by Unite. There is also a slightly closer and slightly more expensive residence at Stratford also through Unite. I have already checked that they do take under 18s they also take students from Central and they accept international Guarantors which has been my biggest problem as I don't want to pay the whole years rent up front... It seems that there are actually quite a lot of options so I assume students will be spread across lots of different facilities and as they befriend each other the kids will all know exactly where they want to live by second year???? what a Journey we are all going on over the next three years!

Student Castle, Guy Chester and the Unite properties also appear on other dance schools lists so chances are there would be some like minded similar aged people there to Central students, even if they were not at Central.  Viridian Housing and Opal also do student options.

• Like 1

Hi all Just to let anyone that is interested know. My 16 year old DD has been booked into a 3 bedroom flat at North Lodge - Unite student accommodation, Tottenham. It is an easy 30 min ride on tube and bus and 165/week -  single room with ensuite with kitchen and lounge shared with two others. The other two ensuite rooms are vacant at the moment and it would be great if other ballet student wanted to share so the communal lounge can then double as a stretching/ practice room without bothering non-ballet people. If anyone wants the exact details just PM me to Tee it up.

My dd preferred the idea of sharing with two others rather than flats of 6, 7, 8. or more. Their days are going to be long and busy, it would be a lot to handle coming home to large groups of students that might not be so physically spent.

Happy days now that our problem is sorted. :)

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

My DD attends Central and shares a room at Student castle with another dancer. Fantastic accommodation and all the bills are included which helps as teenagers are not good at turning off lights etc. There is a sainsburys next door to it which is great and there are alot of Central girls moving there in Sept as well as from other dance schools like Urdang Academy.

.From Sept it will work out at £164.50inc each week which is alot but It is very safe and only 2 mins from Aldgate tube station and only few stops to Farringdon tube. My DD now catches the bus as its free with a 16+ oyster card.

Last year she was at Hyelm but there has been talk that it is closing next year sometime so check with them about this.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

My DD attends Central and shares a room at Student castle with another dancer. Fantastic accommodation and all the bills are included which helps as teenagers are not good at turning off lights etc. There is a sainsburys next door to it which is great and there are alot of Central girls moving there in Sept as well as from other dance schools like Urdang Academy.

.From Sept it will work out at £164.50inc each week which is alot but It is very safe and only 2 mins from Aldgate tube station and only few stops to Farringdon tube. My DD now catches the bus as its free with a 16+ oyster card.

Last year she was at Hyelm but there has been talk that it is closing next year sometime so check with them about this.

Hope this helps.

Hi Worktolive

My DD will also be sharing a room at Student Castle with another girl in September. How do you go about getting the oyster card - do you have to be resident in London to get it or can she get it before she moves there ? Also which bus does your DD catch xx