The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - Midland Theatre Ballet

Yesterday afternoon I went to see the Midland Theatre Ballet in a performance of a specially choreographed ballet, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe at the Crescent Theatre in Birmingham. This company is made up of children ranging in age from 8 - 18 (taken from their website) but I have to say that some of them looked a lot younger than this, no more than 4 or 5. With an enormous cast a part was found for every child with butterflies, daffodils, ladybirds and grasshoppers being some of the characters. There were some interesting solos for 4 dancers taking the roles of each of the Four Seasons and they were partnered by four boys from year 6.1 at Elmhurst. With a very good malevolent White Queen and four excellent young dancers in the lead roles of Lucy, Susan, Peter and Edmund this was a different but really enjoyable afternoon. Special mention must also go to the dancer who took both the role of Father Christmas and Aslan the lion and also who ever made the costumes, which were delightful and must have taken a lot of work.

• Like 1

Thank you, Pulcinella.  It's good to hear about other productions doing the rounds, as well as the bigger ones.  (And I'm still annoyed about having to miss Tom's Midnight Garden at Hackney Empire this week, but that's another story ...)

• Like 1