Costs involved for Upper Schools

Friends

This maybe a bit of a silly question, but how many pairs of pointe shoes would my DD need to take to her vocational school? Assuming that she will be wearing them more than she does now, so therefore wear them out faster.  

Might have changed a lot since i went to vocational school at 16,but i remember distinctly the letter from Urdang saying 3 pairs of pointe shoes. I was impressed,and it was great getting them all on the same day. Made me feel like a "proper ballet dancer,"  having so many new pairs at once.!

• Like 1

Again, my experience was decades ago.I went in Sept 1984. But I think it might depend on the vocational school,and how much priority is given to pointe work/Pas De Deux,etc. Urdang was back then very much seen as a classical ballet school, with links to London City Ballet Company. Every school will have a different emphasis on a different discipline. But ideally, you should receive word from the school giving you plenty of time to get things together,meaning they should give you a good few months notice in advance.[Hopefully!].

If it's any help I've just looked at the Elmhurst uniform for 6th form and it's saying 2 pairs of soft blocks , one pair of canvas splitsole and "pointe shoes as required" ! Then there are tap shoes , jaz shoes and flamenco shoes and whatever 3 inch New Yorkers might be !

This maybe a bit of a silly question, but how many pairs of pointe shoes would my DD need to take to her vocational school? Assuming that she will be wearing them more than she does now, so therefore wear them out faster.  

That would depend on how quickly she gets through them. But if doing pointe every day at least 3 pairs so they have time to dry between wears. My dd likes to have 3-4 pairs on the go plus a couple of spares so she is not caught short.

Don't forget some of the dance wear shops give a discount to vocational students on presentation of proof of study. 

• Like 2

New Yorkers are the thin-strap (buckled) shoes with heels (3" heels for Elmhurst sixth form apparently - you can get 2" heels and possibly other heel heights as well) which are often worn for musical theatre - a bit like elegant character shoes with high heels ;-)

They can also have taps attached for musicals such as '42nd Street'.

• Like 1

I've looked at sites elsewhere that talk about what students need when going to university.  However I'd imagine the entertainment/beer budget might be less for our DCs (lack of time a factor), and healthy fuel more of one....

• Like 3

The biggest cost for me will be to have dd living on the other side of the world and only being able to see her when she comes home for the summer break. :( not enough work opportunities over this way. I sometimes regret that I didn't say no when at the age of 3 she demanded to go to ballet.

• Like 3

The biggest cost for me will be to have dd living on the other side of the world and only being able to see her when she comes home for the summer break. :( not enough work opportunities over this way. I sometimes regret that I didn't say no when at the age of 3 she demanded to go to ballet.

Possibly this is something that should be discussed on a separate thread, but for a country that has a population roughly one third of the UK, Australia seems to have several ballet companies (I can think of four but there may be more). Interested to know where those companies hire from?

• 1 year later...