Costs involved for Upper Schools

Friends

For a DaDa if your gross house hold income is over £70,000 then you pay full fees !!! If you are only a bit below that then you pay full price for accommodation on top of your DaDa contribution !! If you have one child on an MDS and one on a DaDa then there is no discount !! I have been researching the pitfalls of having 2 dc :(

Cost of the audition process in itself ...... and that's before you get there!!!

Anything from £25-45 per application, medical reports, photos, travel and hotels for auditions ...... Plus the coffee whilst waiting around during auditions - I now have a loyalty card for every well known coffee outlet!

• Like 6

Yes its all very costly and to be honest a big struggle. My dd is on reserve for dada but even if she gets it its going to be very hard. We will have to pay the maximum due to family income not much below the 70 k, with accomodation on top im really worried. I only wish I'd been more aware 5 years ago and prepared for the whole process. Dancing does not earn big bucks but to get there costs.

Friends ... I have calculated that if we are just under the £70,000 ceiling we will be paying approx £9,000 contribution towards the school fees ! And then approx £6,000 towards the accommodation depending on the school !! We are looking at about £15,000 per year with no opportunity to earn extra money to help !!

I have a ds who wants to audition for 6th forms next year and a dd already on an mds !! If they are both successful in the future at one point I will have 2 on approx £15,000 each !! Happy days :) !! They may not even get a job at the end of it all !! I will have to work until I'm 70 to pay it off !! Would I have it any other way ? Probably not !

• Like 1

Fees for Elmhurst are boarding fees of £24,894 per year, but I'm not sure if that includes tuition fees?

Ballet West £9,000 tuition fees per year ( can be covered by student finance)

RCS tuition Scottish/EU students £1820 per year Rest of UK students £9,000 ( can be covered by student finance)

The Hammond tuition £16,371 per year ( DaDa for under £70,000 annual income)

Tring tuition & boarding fees £30,990 per year , day pupils £20,700 plus accommodation ( DaDa & MDS available)

Other costs include medical insurance approx £700 per year, uniform approx £500, accommodation , food and travel.

Students in London can travel free on the buses.

• Like 2

Rambert for us being non EU/UK is £16900 plus accom & food also I am sure we have to pay 12 months health insurance to get student visa, return airfare Sydney to London each year as well as all the obvious extras, shoes, tights, travel.

And I don't have a job at the moment...

• Like 1

I can't comment on the new DaDA as my DD is on the old system. I pay £1,275 per year contribution to fees plus London accommodation approx £9,000 per year plus weekly spending allowance, tube fares(busses are free), private medical insurance, uniform approx £300 per year, pointe shoes approx £400 per term if not more, plus tights, animal wool, toe tape, mobile phone contract and contact lenses. Also fuel costs at end of term, train fares for home visits, hotels to see performances. The list of expenses goes on and on. I daren't add it all up or I would have a heart attack. I should have married a millionaire :) LTD

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Local dance full time college fees - £2,500 pa. Private singing/acting lessons, exams, trips are extra. Dance clothes, shoes etc can be bought from the attached dance shop with a discount to full time students.

Local Theatre School full time 2 year course - £1,900 per term (3 terms). Exams are extra. 

We seem to be discussing fees on both threads now - this one and also here: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6614-student-finance-for-ba-and-hnd-courses/

Perhaps it would be better to stick to discussing "extra" costs in this thread - i.e. Travel, accommodation, uniform etc. and discuss actual tuition fees in the other thread. I definitely think it's useful to have separate threads to discuss the different types of financial implications of Upper Schools but asking the same questions in both threads will mean duplication of questions.

Thanks everyone - both threads are very pertinent and I'm learning a great deal!

• Like 4