For those with 'No's.....

swanprincess

Just a little uplifting post for everyone, like myself, who has had the disappointment of a "no" from auditions this year....

Imagine a Phoenix. Born from the flames, she finds herself grieving, lost in the flame of rejection. But her determination is reborn. In six months time, she will have grown, developed, come further than she ever thought possible. Then, with a lot of courage and persistence, she will begin the process that she knows might lead to her returning here- to grief, near unbearable sadness, feeling as though, with her dream snatched away, she has lost her identity. Or, she might achieve her dream, that grace and freedom of which she aspires to. something within her- within all of us- inspires us to keep going, to keep fighting to achieve her dream; to audition again, to go back and keep trying. So, to everyone who hasn't got their vocational school place this year, we will find our way, we are more resilient, braver and stronger than we ever imagined, and these little setbacks simply make us who we are.

Six months until application forms are out again, six months to focus on our dreams and how to finally make them come true....... Xxxx

• Like 27

Swanprincess, I truly believe EVERYONE on the forum is wishing you well for the coming 12 months. You have a timescale to focus on and I know you have the determination to do everything in your power to fulfil your dream. I wish you all the very best of luck and can't wait to hear all about it. Take care of yourself and "keep dancing!" X

• Like 3

I haven't posted on here in ages- I have an occasional browse but your post, swanprincess, has prompted me!

You are so right. I can't put it as poetically as you, (really, swanprincess, surely you should be going down the literacy route?!) but in our household where one door closes several more open AND these knock-backs make us stronger.

My late father wanted more than anything to become a sculptor, (even gained a place at a good art school) but that wasn't a 'fitting' profession for a young man & so he went on to work in a 'radios' laboratory, studying a BSc, during WW2. Within months he lost his father, was bombed out & subsequently spent a year in hospital. OK. Not good. But when one says every cloud has a silver lining, well... my dad spent that year drawing and preparing a portfolio. When he left hospital he got into a fantastic art school, met my Mum, and has never looked back. Now if things had gone according to plan...???  (I wouldn't be here to start with!)

I may even add, that during his art school days he had lessons with Ninette du Valois as a 'spin-off' extra-curricular activity! (Maybe that's where we got the dancing bug from!) but this would never have happened if it wasn't for all the heartache at the beginning. I'm in the process of sorting out my parents' house, (they both died recently, thus the "I-don't post-much-now-on-the-forum") BUT they had so much happiness in their lives, and in my father's case it's because things didn't go according to plan to start with.

OK, so, swanprincess, (I'm sorry, I waffle), you didn't get in this year BUT.... next year. Who knows?! The world is your oyster! Grab this opportunity to get strong and wow them all!

xx

• Like 17

Swan princess my dd wants to be a dancer and I have always been to be honest always trying to put her off till recently. I had a meeting with her CAT program teacher and she was so lovely, she said the journey of a dancer has so many bends and turns through illness, injury etc. And so many other careers not just in performance. In fact their dance physiotherapist was a RBS dancer who injured her knee and never looked back so the future is bright. Good luck on your journey, I tell my daughter if your want to be a doctor you can if you want to be a dancer you can too both very hard and tough jobs. Good luck.

• Like 1

'Swan princess', your post moved me, you have a very mature attitude, which will get you far! but now reading the latest reply from 'If Only' I'm in tears, over my glass of wine! Your words are so true. Thank you for sharing a lovely family story! So much emotion for a Friday night x

• Like 1

Just asked my ex dd if she had any more drama auditions in mine for this year. She very quietly replied that they are nearly all finished for September 2014 entry. Why oh why does life have to be so very hard sometimes?:(

Sometimes - actually fairly often - a dream is fulfilled but in a different guise than we envisioned.  And then when you look back you realize that the dream you dreamt had it occurred would not have been as fulfilling as the as the road  you end up traveling.  Often it is the bend in the road that makes the journey far more wonderful than the straight road you wish you could travel.  It's hard to see that as we look forward and see only what seems to be a blind bend - but when you look back you realize the view was far more interesting.

So - don't lose the dream - just allow it to bend.

• Like 14

A lovely post Anjuli and pertinent at any age in fact!!

There's another lovely song by Randy Crawford Swan Princess called "one day I'll fly away" You can put the title in a YouTube search and it should come up.

The words when written had a certain context of course but you can take the title at any rate to mean being able to reach a more satisfying sense of freedom for yourself (any of us of course!)

I am glad to see that you are feeling positive SP. Like the others, I strongly believe that things happen for a reason, even if we can't see it at the time. When I was just a year or two older than you I was absolutely devastated not to into the universities that I wanted - it felt likethe end of the world. Of course it wasn't. I went elsewhere and things have turned out pretty well. I would never have met my husband or had my children if I had been able to follow my original plan.

I like the saying "It will be alright in the end. If it's not alright yet, it's not the end." It's just worth remembering though that "alright" sometimes isn't quite how we originally imagine it will be.

One thing I am pretty certain of though, is that whatever happens for you in the end, you won't look back on this time and regret it. I know many, many people who regret NOT pursuing their dreams in their youth, but I'm yet to meet anyone who regrets trying, even if it's not where they end up ultimately.

• Like 2

Aww thank you :) yes, perhaps choreography or writing are career options! Is it possible to be a choreographer having not gone to vocational school?!

Oh Fiz, that must be hard for your dd (AD? Actress daughter?!) :( but, like me, her auditions journey will recommence in a few months time, and she will be stronger & more confident than ever :)

Thankyou for that lovely (as always!) response Anjuli, it is similar to what someone very wise recently said to me; "A bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn" :)

I love that song LinMM, thank you for sharing :)

BD19 I thought you said previously you had decided to leave the forum- welcome back, anyhow! As for my Plan B..... Yes, that has already started- hopefully vocational school next year instead of this year :D with a lot more auditions, a year at a local dance/drama college, and lots more pointe training, and making myself stronger both physically and psychologically in the meantime!!! :)

I love that saying too pups_mum- and now that I am over the initial disappointment, I can totally understand why the panel thought I wasn't strong enough for vocational training this year...... Just you wait and see, I'll be back next year, stronger and more determined than they ever imagined ;)

Hehe thank you also to everyone whose dd has got a place despite being 17 or even 18 years old, you have definitely inspired me to keep trying :D xxx

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dancer2027

Unfortunately BD19 whilst plan Bs are sometimes more realistic options, when someone, such as myself , has such a passion and love for ballet, I think the idea of a plan b is heartbreaking. For me ballet is more of an addiction or a drug , if I don't get my dose each day I start to feel very down, god I am a nightmare to my family during the holidays I tell you! Luckily I have the next 3 years ahead of me doing what I love, but swanprincess don't give up because If you are anything like me and love ballet as I do, which I got the impression you did from your btuk audition when we spoke, then be determined to keep going. It is a real test to yourself if you can keep working night after night in ballet class after a long day at college, and it proves to yourself how much you are prepared to dedicate to your training.

I have got my a levels as a 'plan b' but I have worked so hard and done all I can to get my plan a. It has been emotionally draining at times but I'm so glad these last 2 years I didn't give up because now I have a future where I can do what I love every day. I hope this happiness comes to you too sp and everyone else :)

• Like 2

Depends on the Plan B Flutterby :) Both my dds got 'no's - Dd1's plan B is to go to her local part-time theatre school which starts a brand new full time Musical Theatre course in September (which she successfully auditioned for). The course includes private one to one singing lessons, ballet, tap, jazz, body conditioning, contemporary, acting, assistance with monologues and audition technique plus workshops from touring companies, actors etc. The teaching faculty is made up of teachers from GSA, Mountview, etc and Dd1 can work towards Trinity Level 4 Diploma in Musical Theatre and HNC/HND and later top up to a BA (Hons) Degree.

Dd2 successfully auditioned for our local dance college. She will have dance classes from 9.00am-10.oopm some days and some days till 5.00pm. She will do RAD Adv 1 and 2 Ballet, pointework, repertoire, Contemporary, Jazz, American Tap, Tap, Jazz, Modern, Hip Hop, Musical Theatre, Commercial Jazz, Body Conditioning and Pilates and private singing and acting classes (these are extra costs, plus exams and trips). She will also work towards her DDI/E teacher training.

Dd1 finishes A levels this summer and Dd2 GCSEs. Dd2 feels A levels are not for her. She has processing difficulties and gets extra time in exams. Dd2 also took nearly a year out from ballet last year after developing Osgood Schlatters Disease. Going to the college will strengthen her core, plus she'll get an all round dance training. She would like to try again for ballet but she also loves Musical Theatre so this way she gets to keep all her options open.

Both Plan B's are good options I think and mean both dds get to do what they love :)

• Like 7

Unfortunately BD19 whilst plan Bs are sometimes more realistic options, when someone, such as myself , has such a passion and love for ballet, I think the idea of a plan b is heartbreaking. For me ballet is more of an addiction or a drug , if I don't get my dose each day I start to feel very down, god I am a nightmare to my family during the holidays I tell you! :)

Flutterby thank you for being so understanding- it's reassuring to know that when you live for ballet like I do, not getting in at 16 isn't the end of the road!!! When the rejection email came and I thought I'd lost all hope of dance as a career, it felt as if id lost part of my identity- which is really why I knew that I had to carry on and try again next year- even if I don't succeed I just love the feeling of work and dedication- there is something magical about staying in the studio alone at night for another hour after class just to work on strengthening and stretching...... At home I am constantly doing exercises- my mum joked that just watching tv without me doing bizarre stretches trying not to block the tv, is a rare luxury! She then added that if I wasn't stretching or working towards ballet school in any way possible, it would seem scarily unnatural haha!

To everyone who has got a place this year, especially those aged 17-18, thank you so much for inspiring me to keep chasing my dream xxxx

• Like 6

Well I had to follow my plan B and then in fact my plan C as I ended up teaching (not dance) something I certainly didn't envisage or even want initially but then I found teaching was something I really enjoyed and hadn't realised the full scope and creativity of the job which I got many years of satisfaction from in the end.

However Plan A is still around trying to get out!!

So here I am at 66 dancing......yet again......and learning new repertoire.

The bug never seems to entirely go away......unless maybe you do make it as a professional! I imagine the irony is then that after 20years or so (if lucky) of performing you never want to put on a pair of ballet shoes again!!!

• Like 3

Swanprincess, time to get back to your GCSE revision! I have a son doing GCSEs this year and it's like trying to nail a jelly to the wall!

Same problem here Aileen - the number of excuses DD is coming up with for not revising is testament to her imagination i suppose, but I think i am going to have to get tough about it soon. Whatever everyone's ultimate plan is, as good a set of GCSEs as you can manage is important so i think revision needs to be at the top of the priority list for the next couple of months.

• Like 1

I'm surprised by how early the exams start. My son's first one is on 12 May, but he has an oral exam before that, and other children I know have their first one on 8 May, which is very soon after they go back to school. I feel that my 'O' Levels started after the May half holiday but perhaps I'm wrong about that. Things are a bit tense in our house right now. Roll on 18 June!

Swanprincess, time to get back to your GCSE revision! I have a son doing GCSEs this year and it's like trying to nail a jelly to the wall!

Ah yes, that, good point ;) luckily the ones I chose are mostly coursework so I only have 9 exams- unlike my very academic (non dancing) friend who has 17!!!!!!

And LinMM it's lovely that you managed to keep dancing even though it wasn't to be as a career, the joy of dance is something that never leaves us :)

• Like 2

Katymac, if by 'targets' you mean the grades which the school expect your dd to get, I would tell your dd to forget about them and concentrate on learning the material, going through past papers to test her knowledge and preparing some essay plans for subjects like English, History etc. There is no point worrying about the results. Worry about the revision as that is what you have control over.

• Like 2

Guest dancer2027

Jaylou that sounds fantastic for your DDs, lucky to have such a brilliant plan B. My Plan B was university, something I wasnt too keen on