ROH 2014/15 Period 1 casting

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that's disappointing (and disappointing for Lauren too). I've booked for these performances and I'm not over keen on Sarah Lamb, but perhaps she'll win me round in this role.

Firstly, poor Lauren. Her career has been far too beset with injuries and illness. Let's hope that whatever has happened this time will heal quickly.

I'm not a Sarah fan at all either but Vadim as Des Grieux will be more than enough to delight me at these performances. And, who knows,.in common with Aileen, she may yet 'convert' me.

• Like 1

I think that it's Acosta who sells the shows, though. His Don Q's are sold out and Osipova's are not.

Which is *really* ludicrous, when you come to think of it.  It's only a few years since Osipova's Don Q's were one of the hottest tickets around.

I didn't see Sarah and Rupert in that run, but did catch them earlier, in the summer.  That was the one where Rupert made his debut on his birthday, I think?  I seem to remember they were both extremely good, even though I wouldn't necessarily have thought it a particularly obvious role for Sarah.  I'm just a little disappointed that, given that I haven't been able to book for every cast as it is, I'm going to get duplication.

Lamb's Manon (with Pennefather) is one of the finest, most emotional and moving things I've seen on the ROH stage.

I remember the Lamb/Pennefather performance well. I like Sarah Lamb, she has the most expressive eyes and is able to convey all sorts of emotion with great subtlety, rather than some who tend to 'broadcast'. Some reviews have described her as rather cold and detached but much like Lopatkina, I prefer the understated approach.

I have to say Manon is not one of my favourite ballets. I recall sitting in the auditorium, seemingly surrounded by people who were( in the words of Brian Sewell albeit talking about something else ) sobbing and rending their garments - at the unbearable emotion of it all. I found it rather overwrought, particularly towards the end and it left me cold. Probably not helped by the final scene when ghostly figures such as Manon's brother flit through the swamp and somebody sitting behind me said rather loudly, 'I thought he was supposed to be dead.'

The fact it didn't move me an inch has nothing to do with the casting in this instance at least.  I thought parts of it were visually stunning. I just don't care for it as a ballet.I am probably in a minority. Each to their own as ever.

I've enjoyed Manon since I first saw it in the mid-80s but there are 2 performances that stand out in my mind as being incredibly emotional.  The first was a matinee on a bank holiday with Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg when a group of us were rendered beyond power of speech at the end in the foyer.  The second was a RDB performance (with the set and costumes subsequently used by ENB) with Caroline Cavallo and Andrew Bowman.  The final scene is the swamp is just a plain black stage and the power and emotion of their final duet will stay with me forever.

I wish I could see more than the performance I have booked on 15th October and I would love to see Sarah Lamb, whose performances I have always enjoyed.

‘…>I have to say Manon is not one of my favourite ballets<…’

Jacqueline, you're certainly not on your own in disliking 'Manon' - in fact 'disliking' is probably an understatement in the case of many of its naysayers, who actually hate it.  I've always suspected that this is partly snobbery (as in ' if they like it, it can't be any good').  One of my friends dislikes it because she finds it too like a film, too 'expressionist', as she puts it. This at least is more forgiveable than snobbery, but I'm guessing that for many US ballet fans, 'Manon' would be completely out of court, as apparently a lot of MacMillan's work is (apart from R&J). Deep conservatism is possibly the reason for this antipathy ;  If it hasn't got tutus and tiaras it's suspect, and if it's got sex in it on top of that, for heaven's sake....I know that's a sweeping statement, and probably a grossly unfair one from the country that nurtured the young Balanchine, but there’s least some truth in it (years ago, on the old US Ballet Alert forum, there was an extremely hostile MacMillan  thread, one poster writing that Manon  'deserved(s) a good kicking'!).

But I'm getting off point here.  Carry on.

Oh gosh, I am soooo disappointed to see that Lauren is injured yet again.  Even more disappointed because I bought tickets to both her shows because I am a big fan of hers but also because I think a Lauren/Vadim partnership has great potential for developing into something special.  Maybe she just isn't fated to dance with tall, talented Russian men!!

I also saw Sarah's Manon with Rupert and was very moved by it.  I think this is actually a role that suits her very well, and she conveys very convincingly the emotional journeys required to portray Manon's character successfully. 

Am also looking forward to seeing Acosta and Valentino as Lescaut;  very interesting to me that Carlos is dancing this 'secondary' role....I guess he just wanted to do it;  it is a good one! 

• Like 1

I wondered if all these exciting casts would actually happen and am sorry to hear about the first (and hopefully last) change, another problem with Manon being so undersold, especially the amphi, is that there will be little chance of handing in a ticket for resale, though perhaps all the offers will change that!

Also wondering about the wisdom of Lauren Cuthbertson doing all performances of the Brahms Waltzes.

Lauren had an accident onstage last week and injured her foot. She has been very lucky that it wasn't more serious and dependent upon medical advice could be out of the woods in a few weeks. She is really sorry to be missing out on Manon, especially her dancing debut with Vadim. Lauren would like to thank everyone for their good wishes, as ever.

• Like 4

I've enjoyed Manon since I first saw it in the mid-80s but there are 2 performances that stand out in my mind as being incredibly emotional.  The first was a matinee on a bank holiday with Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg when a group of us were rendered beyond power of speech at the end in the foyer.  

Not to mention the one - I think it turned out to be their last with the RB - which was broadcast live to big screens across the country.  It had a very large proportion of Trafalgar Square - my friend and me included - seriously in tears by the end!

I know that's a sweeping statement, and probably a grossly unfair one from the country that nurtured the young Balanchine, but there’s least some truth in it (years ago, on the old US Ballet Alert forum, there was an extremely hostile MacMillan  thread, one poster writing that Manon  'deserved(s) a good kicking'!).

There is clearly a lot of anti-MacMillan feeling in the US, stoked in part over the years by various critics as well. This is one time when I really hope people don't let themselves be swayed by that.

another problem with Manon being so undersold, especially the amphi, is that there will be little chance of handing in a ticket for resale, though perhaps all the offers will change that!

I suspect you'll have to resort to changing it for another performance of ... something or other.

Lauren had an accident onstage last week and injured her foot. She has been very lucky that it wasn't more serious and dependent upon medical advice could be out of the woods in a few weeks.

That woman has been so unlucky over the years.  I wish her a speedy and full recovery.

Full casting for Manon is now on the ROH website:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/manon-by-kenneth-macmillan

Edited to paste in casting.  Apologies for the strange format.  It wasn't like that in my original document!

Friday 26 September 2014, 7.30pm 

Nuñez Bonelli Cervera Saunders Morera Avis

Saturday 27 September 2014, 12.30pm 

Lamb Pennefather Campbell Tuckett Crawford Underwood

Tuesday 30 September 2014, 1pm 

Hayward Watson Campbell Whitehead Crawford Gartside

Wednesday 1 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Morera Kish Cervera Saunders Choe Gartside

Saturday 4 October 2014, 2pm 

Marquez McRae Zucchetti Whitehead Choe Gartside

Saturday 4 October 2014, 7pm 

Sunday 5 October 2014, 12 noon 

Cuthbertson Muntagirov Zucchetti Avis Choe Whitehead

Tuesday 7 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Osipova Acosta TBA Saunders Calvert Avis

Wednesday 8 October 2014, 7.30pm

Marquez McRae Zucchetti Whitehead Choe Gartside

Thursday 9 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Cuthbertson Muntagirov  Zucchetti Avis Choe Whitehead

Friday 10 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Lamb Pennefather Campbell Tuckett Crawford Underwood

Saturday 11 October 2014, 12.30pm 

Morera Kish Cervera Saunders Choe Gartside

Monday 13 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Hamilton Golding Gartside Avis Calvert

Wednesday 15 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Hayward Watson Campbell Whitehead Crawford Gartside

Thursday 16 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Saturday 25 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Osipova Acosta TBA Saunders Calvert Avis

Wednesday 29 October 2014, 7.30pm 

Yanowsky Bolle Acosta Tuckett Morera Avis

Saturday 1 November 2014, 7pm 

Yanowsky Bolle Acosta Tuckett Morera Avis

No Soares and no Mendizabal - does anybody know what is going on?

‘…>I have to say Manon is not one of my favourite ballets<…’

Jacqueline, you're certainly not on your own in disliking 'Manon' - in fact 'disliking' is probably an understatement in the case of many of its naysayers, who actually hate it.  I've always suspected that this is partly snobbery (as in ' if they like it, it can't be any good').  One of my friends dislikes it because she finds it too like a film, too 'expressionist', as she puts it. This at least is more forgiveable than snobbery, but I'm guessing that for many US ballet fans, 'Manon' would be completely out of court, as apparently a lot of MacMillan's work is (apart from R&J). Deep conservatism is possibly the reason for this antipathy ;  If it hasn't got tutus and tiaras it's suspect, and if it's got sex in it on top of that, for heaven's sake....I know that's a sweeping statement, and probably a grossly unfair one from the country that nurtured the young Balanchine, but there’s least some truth in it (years ago, on the old US Ballet Alert forum, there was an extremely hostile MacMillan  thread, one poster writing that Manon  'deserved(s) a good kicking'!).

But I'm getting off point here.  Carry on.

I remember one noted American critic describing Manon as 'a steamy little shocker' - he was VERY disapproving.  I can understand a mainstream audience used to pretty Nutcrackers and Sleeping Beauties thinking it a little intense but I would have thought an experienced critic would find it a refreshing change.  One possible objection would be the athletism of the remarkable lifts and jumps in the pdds.  Macmillan was influenced by figure skating in some of his work and every time I see the final pdd I can't help thinking ' great caught axel' when she does that double twist in the air.  Mind you I saw Guillem many times and she emphasised the gymnastic aspect more than some other dancers.  I do hope I get to see Lauren do it one time as I think she has something of the same quality (but never at the expense of the drama).

Linda

Linda 

As for casting, I am wondering when we can expect some for the Brandstrup and co. triple bill run. I see there are many unsold tickets for that also. 

Frankly, I'm not surprised.  I have no idea why anyone thought it would sell well at normal triple-bill prices rather than the £40 top-price ones they usually use for new work.

[Edit: This was originally in response to Jacqueline's comment:

"As for casting, I am wondering when we can expect some for the Brandstrup and co. triple bill run. I see there are many unsold tickets for that also. I have a ticket for the matinee but am thinking about swapping it for this Saturday's matinee of Manon with Roberta Marquez. 

Any thoughts on whether this might be a good idea?"

which was part of a posting which has now been transferred into the "Ashton, MacMillan and their American reputations" thread which John mentions below.  Hope that's not too confusing :)]

First-time post, just to say how lovely it is to see Romany Pajdak being given an opportunity in the Brahms Waltzes.  The ROH booking page for the Ashton bill obviously hasn't caught up yet though - Cuthbertson is still listed for all performances.

How I agree with this. I remember seeing Romany Pajdak when she won the Silver medal in the Genee competition (the Gold wasn't awarded that year) and thinking what a beautiful quality of movement she had. I have followed her career since and been really disappointed that she hasn't progressed further, unlike Joe Caley and Alex Campbell who both won Bronze medals in the same competition.

It's very difficult making your way in a big company such as the RB, especially if you are female. There are very few dancers who are identified early on as potential principals and there's a huge amount of luck involved in being selected for featured roles, which in turn lead to soloist and lead roles. Vadim Muntagirov wasn't even offered an artist's contract when he graduated from the RBS but four and a half years later he joined the RB as a principal dancer having benefitted hugely from his time with ENB. I don't know much about Alexander Campbell but he joined the RB as a soloist from BRB and was quickly promoted to first soloist.