ROH 2014/15 Period 1 casting

I got my wish for Manon - Cuthbertson/Muntagirov. Also pleased about the chances being given to Francesca Hayward but her pairing with Muntagirov in Alice means that I shall have two reasons to book for a ballet I am not very keen on. Happy for Fumi Kaneko as well that she will have another shot at Kitri after her injury in performance last year. I'd have preferred Osipova/Muntagirov to Osipova/Golding in Don Q. Somewhat surprised that Carlos will be dancing Basilio again.

Now it's 'fingers crossed' for the casting of the Mixed Bills, especially Month.

• Like 1

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure this has been said before, but I find some of the soloist choices for Principal roles slightly odd, when some of the Principal dancers seem a bit underused.

I am not picking out any individual soloist here.  I am sure they will be excellent, and I am delighted that up and coming dancers are being given the opportunity.  But if there are already existing Principals who either get only one performance, or have never danced a particular role, then I begin to wonder what they have done wrong. 

Likewise, if someone like Choe is being given more and more Principal roles, but still retains her soloist status, this doesn't seem quite fair either.  Bit like doing the boss's job at work for a couple of years, but only getting middle management salary!

I don't know where I got this notion from, but I remember reading a long time ago that soloists/artists are additionally renumerated for dancing principal roles? Maybe someone can correct me. 

And maybe introducing more soloists is the just the start of a changing in the guard? They have to start somewhere, and there aren't enough performances for everyone to dance everything. Are there also schools performances that aren't listed?

Such as?  The partnering in Manon isn't easy, by any means, and I don't see anyone doubling-up at this stage.  Yes, I know Kish had to replace Bonelli last year, but this far in advance I don't think it would make sense to give any Des Grieux two Manons to deal with.  It would probably be a bit of a nightmare administratively, apart from anything else.

That's kind of what I was asking. I'm sure 4 performances with two different Manon's wouldn't be too much of a stretch for principal's.They are used to rehearsing different ballets with different partners.

Nina, what role would you put Choe in in Manon?  I must admit that at the moment I can't see anything higher than what she's already dancing that I'd obviously move her into.  And maybe Takada and Kaneko are better suited technically to Kitri?  And/or perhaps it's Acosta who has the final say in the casting for Don Q?

That's kind of what I was asking. I'm sure 4 performances with two different Manon's wouldn't be too much of a stretch for principal's.They are used to rehearsing different ballets with different partners.

Well, maybe, but having to rehearse with 2 different Manons would probably increase the necessary rehearsal time by 50% or so.  It may not be practical except in an emergency.

This reminds me of a Manon many will remember years ago, when Cojocaru injured her foot in the first scene with Kobborg. Monica Mason appeared at the curtain to announce that she couldn't continue and promised to try to find another dancer. After a long unscheduled interval, Jamie Tapper swooped in, paint still smeared on her hands from painting the bathroom that evening, to dance with Kobborg. He said later that they'd never even touched before going on stage (to my memory they'd only been partnered together once in a mixed bill) but they had to jump right into the act 1 pdd. After a tentative few seconds, they completely smashed it. Very memorable night. :-) So it can be done. Just maybe not recommended. ;-)

• Like 2

This reminds me of a Manon many will remember years ago, when Cojocaru injured her foot in the first scene with Kobborg. Monica Mason appeared at the curtain to announce that she couldn't continue and promised to try to find another dancer. After a long unscheduled interval, Jamie Tapper swooped in, paint still smeared on her hands from painting the bathroom that evening, to dance with Kobborg. He said later that they'd never even touched before going on stage (to my memory they'd only been partnered together once in a mixed bill) but they had to jump right into the act 1 pdd. After a tentative few seconds, they completely smashed it. Very memorable night. :-) So it can be done. Just maybe not recommended. ;-)

I remember that night, because the interval went on and on I had to leave as I knew I would never see the last act, the only time Manon had a happy ending, they had just met and rushed off in the carriage :)

• Like 1

Nina, what role would you put Choe in in Manon?  I must admit that at the moment I can't see anything higher than what she's already dancing that I'd obviously move her into.  And maybe Takada and Kaneko are better suited technically to Kitri?  And/or perhaps it's Acosta who has the final say in the casting for Don Q?

I'll take your (good) points Alison  :)

I remember that night, because the interval went on and on I had to leave as I knew I would never see the last act, the only time Manon had a happy ending, they had just met and rushed off in the carriage :)

I think they didn't even get in and just ran off, too eager to wait for a carriage ;-)

At a Season Preview tonight, Kevin O'Hare introduced Laura Morera, Vadim Muntagirov and Matthew Golding. He mentioned that,although it hasn't been announced formally yet, Laura would feature in Liam Scarlett's new piece in the autumn.

It looks like it :(

No Principal role for Miss Choe in Manon or Don Q. (Mr. O'Hare has cast Miss Takada and Kaneko as "Kitri" over Miss Choe, and Miss Hayward as "Manon" over her); she only gets Principal performances as "Alice". The fast tracking of Miss Hayward may be a sign of things to come and I wouldn't be surprised she'll also gets cast as "Lise" later on in the year (potentially three Principal roles for a First Artist in one Season. When has that ever happened before?). 

F. Hayward may not be a First Artist anymore come October? I've enjoyed her perfs to date and she's stepped up to each chance she was given, so I'm looking forward to see what she does with Manon and Alice.

I also hope we get to see Y. Choe in more principal roles next year. I'd like to see what she can make of more dramatic ones. 

• Like 1

I think that Francesca Hayward and James Hay would be a nice partnership in La Fille?!

I also think a promotion for Francesca is imminent.  I do feel sorry for Yuhui not being a principal yet.  She is a really lovely dancer but I can't help but think she is maybe missing a special quality required for principal. Would be interesting to know the management's thoughts and why they have reservations on promoting her!!

Yuhui being promoted to principal is in my humble opinion a case of when not if.

Sadly, many of us have been saying that for the last four years or so and it has just never happened. Hope springs eternal !

• Like 4

Sadly, many of us have been saying that for the last four years or so and it has just never happened. Hope springs eternal !

In some ways Choe reminds me of Belinda Hatley, a huge fan favourite who many people thought should be a principal but for whatever reason was not cast in some roles and was never promoted above first soloist.

It happens all too often.  When the ROH re-opened in late 1999 the first scheduled performance (excluding the galas) was Manon with Durante and Mukhamedov but he went 'off' with injury in the morning and Jonathan Cope had to take over at a few hours notice (with noticeable success according to the critics) despite the couple never having danced this piece together before.  And Adam Cooper practically made a career out of stepping in at the last minute, so much so in fact that he earned the nickname of 'Super Cooper'.

As an afterthought, maybe this is the real difference between a guest star and a company principal.  A company principal dances all the major roles with many different partners over the years and can step into practically any role at short notice (much as Debbie Bull describes when she noticed that one of the fairies wasn't ready in the wings in SB.  She simply stripped off her costume and waited for someone to bring her that of the missing fairy then went straight on stage without hesitation).

Guest stars may bring in the punters but it's the long-service, dedicated dancers who are really the core of a company.

Edited to add afterthought.

Edited by loveclassics
  • Like 7

My ROH Magazine has just arrived.  Here is the casting for the Ashton Bill:

Scènes de Ballet

Lamb/McRae October 18, 28 November 4  and 11

Choe/Zucchetti October 22, November 5 and 12

Symphonic Variations

Nuñez/Golding October 18, November 4, 5 , 11 and 12

Hamilton/Muntagirov October 22 and 28

Month in the Country:

Yanowsky/Pennefather  October 18, November 5 and 11

TBC/Bonelli October 22 and 28, November 4 and 12

5 Brahms Waltzes on all dates: TBC

Edited by Bluebird

So, changes for Scenes - wasn't it Cuthbertson and someone else last time around? (I was going to say Nunez, but think I'm getting it confused with something else).

Symphonic Variations with only two names isn't overly helpful - and not the most obvious casting, in my book. Interesting split of 5 performances for one cast and 2 for the other. I'd like to think that meant some sort of recording was on the way, but from what Kevin O'Hare said at the Ballet Association this week I'd have thought that was unlikely.

Wonder why there are two casts dancing Month on 22nd October but only one set for the other works?  Here's hoping the TBC might be Osipova if she is fully recovered by that point (which might attribute the TBC in the first place).  Disappointed no Muntagirov in Month. 

Edited by Meunier

Here's the casting for the other mixed bill.  Hope there are no typos this time!

Ceremony of Innocence

TBC/Watson/Sambé November 7, 8 (eve), 14 and 17

TBC Nov 8 (mat) and 13

Aeternum

Nuñez/Bonelli/Kish Nov 7, 8 (eve) 14 and 17

Calvert/Hirano/Underwood November 8 (mat) and 13

Age of Anxiety TBC

Me too.  It seems to me there could be a case for using some of the younger dancers (not that I'd necessarily want to get rid of some of the more experienced dancers who have been in it in the last couple of runs, either).

Disappointed there are no matinees for the Ashton bill and only one performance at the end of the week (Saturday 18th October first night) So some of us who live at a distance will have no choice as to which performance we attend and will have the expense of an overnight stay as well.  Joan