Ballet and Yoga?

Nutcracker-x

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any views on doing yoga along side ballet classes? My ballet teacher has said that my flexibility isn't very good and needs a bit of improvement. I had thought about starting gymnastics however from other posts that I have read it seems to be that starting gymnastics along side ballet isn't that greatest of ideasand from what my mum has said this can end up with me having serious injuries that could put my dancing at risk . My mum has said maybe I should start a yoga class as this focuses primarily on flexibily and relaxation which I am in great need of. However I am not sure if this is such a great idea and whether it will end up giving me bad habits for my dancing?

If anyone has any views on this I will be very grateful.

Thanks, Nutcracker-x xx

My DS has done some yoga at SIs and really enjoyed it- I assume they wouldn't include it if it wasn't compatible. I have done yoga (Iyengar) for around 20 years and from what I know of ballet (from having a dancing son and daughter) there are certainly some ballet positions that yoga teachers would not be happy with (eg grand plie- as any bent knee with the knee further out than the ankle would be considered an injury risk) I can't see any way it would give you bad habits for ballet. I can also see how it would be particularly helpful for certain things (straightening the leg by pulling up on the leg muscles rather than pushing the knee back for example) and it is REALLY good for relaxation. I would certainly recommend Iyengar rather than other sorts though as it is stronger and more precise and I can see it would suit a dancer more than slightly more 'wishy washy' yoga styles. 

Hope this helps :)

I do both Ballet and yoga regularly and cannot think that there are any contra indications in doing yoga.....whichever type you choose.

One of the main differences is that the weight tends to be slightly more towards the heel in yoga where in some schools of ballet thinking the weight is encouraged to be more towards the front of the foot.

Many stretches in yoga are beneficial to ballet and I often use bits of yoga in class if I feel my lower back is tightening up instead of the more traditional ballet stretches.