Iliacus Tendinitis

BankruptMum

Does anyone have any experience of the above? 

We have been seeing a physio who has given her strengthing exercises but its hard work getting DD to do them - she can't 'feel' they do any good so therefore they cant be!  I can see her logic but I am assuming she doesnt need to be feeling a huge stretch for it to be effective - she wants to go to class and is chomping at the bit, I dont know if that is going to make it worse or help?!

Edited by BankruptMum

No experience of this but just wondered if it is a dance physio your dd is seeing. My dd had other hip problems, first dance physio never got to grips with it. Took her off dance, prescribed exercises etc after no improvement gave up and allowed her back to dance. After seeking a second opinion with another dance physio she diagnosed the problem, prescribed a set of exercises that she adjusts every 6 weeks and problem is under control. I think my dd likes to see her now just to tweak any issues before they come problems.

Is it worth seeking a second opinion? I know you have said your dd has various events coming up that she obviously won't want to miss.

• Like 1

Thank you Jane, she has been seeing a sports physio who have a very good knowledge of dance.  Is it normal for physio exercises not to be 'felt' I think my DD feels she is wasting her time.  She is honest with the physios and tells them she cant feel a stretch but they say to keep working with it.  They can definitely 'feel' what is wrong during examination so I can only hope they are on the right path!  Their approach is to help develop supporting muscles as they feel she is putting too much dependance on the wrong muscle which is why it flares up - makes sense to me.

She hasnt seen anybody since December and all seemed to be settled, I think a little too much enthusiasm at the weekend has kicked something off again.  I dont know whether to go back to the same physios or try something new.

Ballet dancers are said to be at special risk for this.  If the exercises the physio is giving her is for strengthening - then she might not feel it as a stretch.

You might try both - seeing the same physio as well as seeking another opinion.

What does her teacher say?

Some further thoughts....

If the problem occurs during dance class and/or because of dance class - then something is amiss there.  Is there something specific she is doing that brings on the pain?

For instance - if the pain occurs when lifting the leg in second position - is the leg too far to the side? past her natural turnout? Is she aligned forward or is she allowing the weight to edge back onto the heel of the standing foot in order to gain height?

This is why I suggested that her teacher's opinion might be useful.

Exercises from the physio may help with the resultant problem - but if one can find the cause that might be a better or at least another way to go.

But perhaps you've done that already.  I would be interested in the teacher's comments.

Thank you Anjuli_Bai, she isnt particularly aware of anything specific setting it off.  I did let her go to class yesterday evening with the understanding of no pointe (although it doesnt effect her to be en pointe anymore than not), to keep things at a low level and make it a gentle class rather than anything 'full-on' and to stop if she felt any more pain, also to take a note of what caused her hip to feel sore, what exercise engaged muscles she felt wasnt comfotable etc.,. 

She came out on a high and when asked how things were and what her findings were she said "I didnt notice really, I was so excited to be in class I was just enjoying it!!" - aghhhh!  (you would have thought she had been off dance for weeks - she has only missed one lesson).  Still it couldnt have been so painful as to cause her to stop and she seems mobile enough this morning. 

I have booked her an appointment with a osteopath to see if a different approach and opinion is more helpful, her teacher felt this was the best route.  Although she can see when my DD is in discomfort she can see no alignment issues which may cause it.