Old dead pointe shoes and their after life ?

petipacat

I wonder if old dead deshanked pointe shoes make good fertilizer in the garden?

who knows....? could be.....

don't laugh unless you've tried it.....

strange things are known to happen to shoes at midnight......

and stranger things happen to pumpkins at midnight.......

and Swan Queens......

gives me the willies.......

• Like 7

Talking of strange things, I had have two necklaces disappear. One is an amber heart and the other has a large pearl and a Murano blue glass heart on it. Our house is 17th century and things often disappear for no reason. I just ask for them back and they usually do come back, but i have had no luck with those so far! Oy, poltergeist! I want them back please!

Edited by Fiz
  • Like 2

A short while ago I was contacted by http://www.heelsinharmony.com/ which is based in Australia and evidently collects shoes to send to those who may not be able to afford them - one example given was Dance Base in Scotland for their outreach programme.

Are there any other schemes like this? or maybe someone wants to help them in their respective countries.

Looking at the collection of used shoes we have - tap, modern, ballet - they are really not doing much in a cupboard.

Would this work with pointe shoes, or do they get so 'shaped' to a foot that they would be damaging to pass onto someone else? what would be better, not having a pointe shoe at all, or having used pointe shoes?

I really don't know as we have a son, and so the arcane world of the pointe shoe and the seemingly very enjoyable task of embroidering/darning the shoe (I always think why? why not buy a shoe that is already embroidered??? maybe I am missing the point...)

Edited by Stirrups36

It might work well with pointe shoes - we have a pair that dd wore once, and neither she or her teacher liked them. As long as the shoes are pretty much new it should be ok, I think.

There are probably lots of expensive unused 'mistake' purchases lurking out there, just waiting to find the right feet.

A short while ago I was contacted by http://www.heelsinharmony.com/ which is based in Australia and evidently collects shoes to send to those who may not be able to afford them - one example given was Dance Base in Scotland for their outreach programme.

Are there any other schemes like this? or maybe someone wants to help them in their respective countries.

Looking at the collection of used shoes we have - tap, modern, ballet - they are really not doing much in a cupboard.

Would this work with pointe shoes, or do they get so 'shaped' to a foot that they would be damaging to pass onto someone else? what would be better, not having a pointe shoe at all, or having used pointe shoes?

I really don't know as we have a son, and so the arcane world of the pointe shoe and the seemingly very enjoyable task of embroidering/darning the shoe (I always think why? why not buy a shoe that is already embroidered??? maybe I am missing the point...)

To my knowledge (unless this has changed in the last couple of years) shoes do not come from the shop embroidered.

Though the shoes certainly do become personalized through use - it doesn't automatically mean someone else can't wear them - but it would certainly have to be a certain someone else who happens to use the shoes in the same manner. In an emergency once I had to wear another dancer's pointe shoes and they happened to fit well and were suitable in every way.

I have heard of pointe shoes being gathered up in the USA and sent to dancers in other countries who were not able to afford new shoes.

Also, as I understand it, when a dancer in a company takes a delivery of a dozen or more shoes, she usually rejects at least half and that half goes back to the shop/factory - and enters the stream to the regular customer. While the shoes are not worn - just tried on by the company dancer - they still have been on a foot and rejected. That's a good reason to always test to see if the shank has been broken. Some dancers' feet are strong enough to break a shank just by trying on the shoe.

• 1 year later...

I started a blog a few months ago [it`s really not very good. I`m a dinosaur with technology].Anyway,I`ve hardly done any work on it at all,but if anyone wants to have a look at it ,it`s called Pointe Shoe Passion. I`ve added some photos of really rare pointe shoes,that have steel toe taps. I`ve seen on You Tube snippets of film of girls doing tap dancing while en pointe, going up and down some stairs. I think it was a fad in 1930`s Hollywood,but never really took off. Anyway,a few months ago, I bought a pair of these "Toe Tap Shoes" from Ebay in the States. You can see photos of them on my blog page, if anyone is interested. Of course, I tried attaching a photo of them here, but didn`t know how to, so I thought the best thing to do is give people my blog address and let them see them and other rare pairs I have acquired for themselves.  The "address" or whatever it is for the Toe Tap Shoes is;  pointeshoepassion.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/steel-capped-pointe-shoes. 

Edited by thequays

I started a blog a few months ago [it`s really not very good. I`m a dinosaur with technology].Anyway,I`ve hardly done any work on it at all,but if anyone wants to have a look at it ,it`s called Pointe Shoe Passion. I`ve added some photos of really rare pointe shoes,that have steel toe taps. I`ve seen on You Tube snippets of film of girls doing tap dancing while en pointe, going up and down some stairs. I think it was a fad in 1930`s Hollywood,but never really took off. Anyway,a few months ago, I bought a pair of these "Toe Tap Shoes" from Ebay in the States. You can see photos of them on my blog page, if anyone is interested. Of course, I tried attaching a photo of them here, but didn`t know how to, so I thought the best thing to do is give people my blog address and let them see them and other rare pairs I have acquired for themselves.  The "address" or whatever it is for the Toe Tap Shoes is;  pointeshoepassion.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/steel-capped-pointe-shoes. 

Now those look dangerous!

• Like 3

LOL at the Ebay thing!  When I was looking for a cheap Ebay pair of black ballet shoes for my DS (for one performance only - didn't want to pay full price) I did see a truly dirty battered old pair of pointe shoes, the bidding for which was up to £30!!  There clearly is a (odd) market!

• Like 1

LOL at the Ebay thing!  When I was looking for a cheap Ebay pair of black ballet shoes for my DS (for one performance only - didn't want to pay full price) I did see a truly dirty battered old pair of pointe shoes, the bidding for which was up to £30!!  There clearly is a (odd) market!

Yes,Ebay is GREAT for old and rare pointe shoes. I don`t wear them,of course,they are just to collect. If you go to other countrie`s Ebay sites, and BEG the vendor nicely,and are prepared to spend a lot of money on postage,you can come across some real gems. I have a pair of Ben and Sally`s from the States, a pair of Craits from French Ebay, 2 pairs of Bolshoi`s [from the UK,actually].The postage [especially when they`re coming from the States] often costs more than the shoes. But collecting them.and rare Moulin Rouge programmes [i have 3 from 1897] is a passion. Needless to say,I am mostly permanently skint.

On the "pointe" about recycling ballet shoes etc, we're currently in Kenya having just taken a suitcase full of shoes (not pointe) leotards and skirts to an orphanage here. I've worked with them for a number of years taking essentials over, but this year we thought we'd have some fun!

They were mostly seconds, old stock or slow sellers, but to the children in the orphanage they were amazing! One girl in particular was mesmerised by our improvised ballet class and was so thrilled when we found a pair of shoes, Leo and skirt to fit...I reckon she's still wearing them now :)

• Like 10

Sheila - if you do it again let me know I'll send some money so you can take some more

DD is about to put on a show to raise money for children in Zimbabwe for her Arts Award Silver; so far the line up is (famous) local African Band, a local Portuguese/black dance troupe, her African Drumming Group & possibly her Ballet class doing Jai'Ho........so far she has won a grant from the County Council & tentatively booked a 300 seat theatre......GULP :rolleyes:

• Like 10

When my sister and her husband go to Egypt or Kenya or somewhere with similar levels of poverty on holiday,they always take extra clothes and shoes with them. Good quality items to give them away to any locals who may need them. They told me often the people would be so grateful they would be kissing my sister`s hands as these items would be so expensive for them to buy themselves and would cost maybe a week`s wages or more. Such a simple thing,but at least they knew it was going directly to a family or individual who would benefit from it. I sometimes wonder at these charities.Don`t get me wrong,I know they do a wonderful job,but have you ever seen jobs advertised in The Guardian for these CEO`s of charities and the type of salaries they are on? I can imagine whatever we donate ,only a small percentage of it actually filtering down to those in actual need. My sister and her husband took a rather more direct route; albeit on a tiny scale. 

• Like 1

The thing that annoys me is these commercial companies that deliver 'charity' bags for collection of old clothes/shoes etc. The charity's are usually big well-known ones and their logos are the biggest thing printed on the bag and then in the smallprint will be the name of the actual company and a message something like ' we are a commercial trading company who donate 5% of our PROFITS' to the aforementined charity. When I have mentioned this to friends/family they are always very surprised and have assumed the donations are going direct to the named charity.  I always deliver my stuff personally to a local charity shop who have my details so they can also claim gift aid on the value of my donation.

• Like 4

A couple of things, and a totally personal opinion:

Spooky has got it absolutely right about the charity collection bags - there was a lot of adverse publicity about them in the North West a couple of years ago.  Any we get go straight in the bin!

My Dad spent some time working in an East African country in the early to mid 1990s.  He was appalled by something he was shown by a worker in one of the companies he was visiting.  He was shown a warehouse full of shoes that had obviously been donated to charities but that were being sold!  Makes one wonder about the quality control on some of the international charities.

He also used to make us empty our wardrobes before he went and came home with empty suitcases!

It seems to me that what Sheila is doing is the best and most practical way to help people.  It would be good to know when she is going again - perhaps a little note here and something on the Just Ballet website - I am sure people would be willing to help with such a worthwhile cause.

• Like 5

I agree it is sometimes hard to know if donations are going to the intended recipient.

The first time we came here in 1995 we brought felt tips to give to the children and we did this whilst going on a horsehide through the villages, it was lovely to see the smiling faces as the children came running out to see who was visiting. But we were warned by the hotel that random distributions like this encouraged begging and that more formal distribution was preferred. I take their point, but I do feel those early felt tips got straight to the children who "needed" them and who loved them!

Apologies for straying off topic! There's a blog about our current visit on our website and photos on our fb and twitter page @justballetuk Ill let you all about our next trip - hopefully next year and if anyone wants further details on the charity we work with it's http://www.childrenofwatamu.net/

:)

Sx

• Like 3