Central finals

Guest Autumn days

Guest Autumn days

Thank you Swanprincess, for your positive outlook!!

Balletqs, out of interest, do you mind sharing whether your student had auditioned previously or if this is the first time that she has tried. Either way, she has done very well. Any idea which school she is going to choose?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all a problem.she auditioned first time this year. She came to me in year ten from another school and was very weak and she was very young for her age at 15 plus very academic so she decided and on our advise waited. I wld think it will def be one of the London schools.

Guest Autumn days

Not at all a problem.she auditioned first time this year. She came to me in year ten from another school and was very weak and she was very young for her age at 15 plus very academic so she decided and on our advise waited. I wld think it will def be one of the London schools.

That is what I expected!! I think that almost anything Is possible but, if you have tried at 16 without success I think that you are unlikely to succeed later as time is against you. There are some that that doesn't apply to, like Swanprincess, for example, who has admitted to problems. If they can be overcome then you could go on to be succesful but i think if you give it your best shot at 16 under normal circumstances then it is probably time to bow out gracefully!! Perhaps I will be proved wrong but I am not optimistic!

MiaS, if your DD has decided that she would give vocational school one, or one final, shot at 16 and that the outcome would determine the path she would take after that then that is a legitimate decision. People on this forum like to be supportive and encourage DCs to keep trying but everyone makes his or own decision about when to stop trying and give up. This does not have to mean giving up ballet completely. Ballet can still be pursued as a lovely hobby and there are quite a few amateur ballet companies which provide opportunities to perform as well (perhaps someone could start a new thread on this). Knowing when to give up a long cherished dream can be very hard. I'm sure that many of you will have read accounts of people undergoing fertility treatment and their heartrending decisions to give up their dream of a baby.

• Like 2

Muminaspin I would say that 16 is very young to give up on the dream. My niece has been at vocational college sine she was 21, she finishes this year having qualifications in teaching. I know of plenty of girls/boys who have gone to performance art colleges after A'levels. There are lots of university courses and this could also lead anywhere such as teaching, small performance groups etc. I had a friend at dancing school who auditioned for a small company and got the job without even going to vocational school. She travelled around the World performing and even though this was not the Royal Ballet or a big famous company she was happy to just be dancing for a living. Of course if your DD feels that she does not want to continue then of course she must do what is right for her but I think its very sad just to give up now when she is so young. Just because she does not get into one of the big schools does not mean she won't ultimately be able to have a career in dance.

• Like 1

I am not trying to influence you one way or the other , and after disappointing results , it is understandable to feel like giving up . However , I noticed that a lot of children were 17 plus in my DS auditions this year - he is only 15 . I certainly think another year would see her a lot stronger , and if nothing else - more aware of what the audition process involves . She will be more mature too . This is of course only my opinion , and I wish you well MIAS . Just to add - another of my DS has , at 21 , begun a 3 year vocational training programme . He had invested 2 years in an academic degree which he was not enjoying , and he absolutely loves what he is doing now . He has a great voice and good acting skills - but has had no dance training !!! Never too late , we would say .

• Like 3

I think that there is a difference between wanting to have a career as a classical ballet dancer and wanting to have a career in other types of dance, musical theatre etc. I don't think that it is helpful to talk about what one person did 15 or 20 years ago as the sector has become even more competitive and there is less money and fewer jobs now. It has to be borne in mind that even graduates from the 'top' ballet schools in the UK don't all get jobs in ballet and some have to move on to other things.

• Like 2

It is 1am here in Australia, I am at work doing nightshift and the email with the burning question just came through. Its a yes!...I cant believe it and thankgoodness I asked them to email it to us as they have only given 5 days to respond. DD is still fast asleep blissfully unaware but I have forwarded the email so she will awake to her dream being a reality.

I am absolutely gobsmacked and totally humbled with having three offers to choose, Rambert, Royal conservatoire and now Central. But Central was always the favoured front runner! Now I just have to find a small fortune in the coming months and come to terms with my 16 year old daughter leaving home for the bright lights of London ...Oh dear!

Where there is a will there is a way.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting, I have heard that more offers will come out over the weekend and early next week, including reserve lists.

Thank goodness the wait is finally over. :)

• Like 17

Aw congratulations macnatt, your daughter like mine will love Central. Enjoy the bright lights of London, mine is shattered by the end of the day. They get home from school about 6.30-7.00 pm, and mine goes to sleep at 10.00 pm so that she is alert and awake for the following day. Your daughter can enjoy London Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.

• Like 5

That is what I expected!! I think that almost anything Is possible but, if you have tried at 16 without success I think that you are unlikely to succeed later as time is against you. There are some that that doesn't apply to, like Swanprincess, for example, who has admitted to problems. If they can be overcome then you could go on to be succesful but i think if you give it your best shot at 16 under normal circumstances then it is probably time to bow out gracefully!! Perhaps I will be proved wrong but I am not optimistic!

My DS who was from a non vocational background got an offer from Central when he was 16. He would not have given up after trying for one year but would have done one year of AS levels and tried again for the following year and probably the year after that. Then we might have thought that time was against him.

There were a few girls in his year at Central who were from a non vocational background and had done one year of AS levels and were 17 when they started there. 

After the emotional roller coaster of auditioning for entry this year perhaps in a few months time you will feel like encouraging your daughter to audition for September 2015.

MIAS most of the young dancers in Australia only come to Europe/UK for audition tours when they are 17 or 18 or even 19, they all hope to go straight into third year but generally speaking they get offered 1st or second year. Had we not recieved any offers this year my DD was fully accepting of the fact that she had 2 or 3 more years to keep trying, and we would have come back every year until then. Coming back a second or third time means you are armed with experience and know what to expect and that can make all the difference. I am not a dancer and have no real understanding of why these kids are so passionate about ballet,what I do know is there is nothing worse than living with a "what if" scenario... at the end of the day your dd will know when it is time to move on and leave her dream behind, but the reality is she did get through to the Central finals and alot of girls, I imagine  over 100 or maybe even 200 or more didn't get that far...that is an achievement all by itself and definitely a step in the right direction if thats the direction she wants to go in.

• Like 3

Aw congratulations macnatt, your daughter like mine will love Central. Enjoy the bright lights of London, mine is shattered by the end of the day. They get home from school about 6.30-7.00 pm, and mine goes to sleep at 10.00 pm so that she is alert and awake for the following day. Your daughter can enjoy London Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.

I am glad to hear she will come home shattered Tulip... That means there is less energy for getting up to mischief so far from home and away from my watchful eye. This is going to be quite a learning curve for both of us but I really do trust her, thankfully she is sensible, most of the time:)

• Like 2

macnatt, I'm surprised by what you say about Australian students. I thought that the reverse was more likely to be the case ie that they come at 16 but often go into the second year.

I know most of my DD friends schools tour at the end of their 3 year courses. We had a girl from my DD school a few years ago get accepted into RBS at 18 for 1st year and at the end of 1st year they put her straight through to graduating year. I do know of a few that have done it at 16 and some have been offered 2nd year, but where we live anyway it is more likely to be the seniors who go on the tours. I have also been told that some of the UK schools prefer the International students to be a year older in the 1st year because they will be living so far from home and that transition is easier with one more year of maturity... But that could be one of those Ballet myths, there seems to be alot of those around.

• Like 2

Guest Autumn days

This has turned into an interesting discussion!! My daughter accepts the results and has embraced the idea of academic 6th form while saying that she will continue to dance because she enjoys it. I had not previously thought that there would be any point in trying again.

I would be interested to know if those that have been offered places in any of the schools when they are 17 or 18 have previously been unsuccessful or if they have auditioned for the first time at that age. I see there being a big difference between those that have already faced rejection and those who have not previously applied. I think that there will have been good reasons why my dd did not get a place this year and wonder what is likely to change!

• Like 1

mcnatt my friend didnt get any places when she auditioned at MANY schools aged 16 or 17 but managed to get a place at ballet west aged 18, shell be nearly 19 when she starts so it is possible!!

Wow that is good news too Pastel she must be gaining in confidence by the minute.

I suppose you could consider living outside of London but within easy reach so to speak though property prices are fairly high within a 50 mile radius I suppose. Anyway so nice to possibly have the choice of two places like this great news for her!!

• Like 1

We are looking into options. London just looks too expensive to live. We don't really want to be commuting too far - had enough of that where we are as it is 2 1/2 - 3 hour return trip to ballet. We're hoping to be a lot closer.

The train fares seem to be expensive too! About GBP 35 from Hinckley to London, return. Wow! How do you guys get around? Is there a cheaper way - or do you refrain from travelling often?

Trains can be very expensive and fares can differ on the same route too.  Your DD will be able to buy a 16-25 railcard to get 1/3 off train fares (off peak).  There is also a coach card for students to get discounts - separate so you need to research best option. 

Many congratulations to your DD Pastel! It seems to be quite a real possibility to be offered a place from waiting list, as many young dancers accepted at Central have more than one option, so fingers crossed for her! My DD has been offered a place on selected waiting list for white lodge summer school, but I don't think she will have any chance to get in, as I heard there are many children on that list.....I am sure this will not be the case for your DD. Good luck with your house searching!

• Like 1

pastel, adult commuters buy season tickets but I don't know how much money they save. Accommodation can be cheaper outside London but increased travel costs have to be factored into the equation. There is also the question of how far you want your dd to travel (I assume on her own) daily for what I assume will be long and tiring days (and are there evening classes, rehearsals etc?). The line into King's Cross (which is a 2 minute walk to St Pancras which is on the First Capital Connect line to Faringdon) is a very busy one and once you get to Stevenage (where I grew up) and beyond the house prices become more reasonable.

In the end though a long journey to work or college will be a bore especially in the winter months when most of it will be in the dark and things tend to go wrong with the lines more!!

Also you should definitely get more value for your money in Birmingham area than in London and Home Counties.

There are some good value fares around but you can't get then online for example a normal return fare with my senior railcard (which like a student card has a third off) from Brighton to London is £21 (not a day return......going up one day returning on another) however I can get an 'advanced' fare up and back for £3-30 each way making it a lot cheaper. You have to travel on certain trains for this but I don't find that a problem if you have a plan for what you are doing. A day return is £10-50. But again if I do a day up in London with advanced fares it only costs £6-60.

Obviously if you are travelling up every day it then pays to get a season ticket. But travelling around in the UK is not cheap especially if booking tickets at the last minute or on the day of travel very expensive indeed then.