Master classes in Birmingham - August 2014

drdance

Hi everyone - MIDAS will be hosting a few days of master classes in Birmingham from 18-22nd of August. People will be able to do one or more of the days. There is plenty of accommodation nearby and if there is a demand we can arrange to book rooms for students at the nearby Birmingham University conference centre where they will be supervised at all times by at least 2 members of MIDAS staff (who are fully CRB cleared etc).

Faculty includes Daniel Jones, Kei Akahoshi, Jenna Lee (all ENB) and Rebecca Davies, Lisa Ellis and Ashleigh Ross from Australia.

• Like 4

Hi Amum/Cathy we're still finalizing the schedule but it looks like it will be 18th Aug Rebecca Davies & team, 19th and/or 20th Daniel Jones and Kei Akahoshi (depends on numbers interested) and 21st Jenna Lee.

Boys session would be fantastic especially with Daniel! I'd love that to happen!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Applications will open over Easter for the August masterclasses.... Pencil into your diaries:
18.8.14 for Rebecca Davies with Ashi Ross and 'trainer Tye'

19.8.13 for Ballet & virtuosity/skills with Daniel Jones (ex ENB) and Kei Akahoshi (ENB) (including boys session)

20.8.13 for ballet and choreography with Jenna Lee (ENB)

There will be also places for teachers to observe the classes.

Thanks,

Emily aka DrDance

great to see there's going to be a boys session but do you have a few more details e.g target age/level, will it be one session during the day?

If you had enough interest would it be possible to do the whole day?

• Like 1

Hi again - thanks for your posts; any dancers will be able to attend a day or as many days as they wish. Boys who want to come to the session with Daniel will attend the whole day; he will do a mixed classical class, a session on virtuosity eg high jumps, multiple turns etc(for ALL) as well as the boys work. 

Each day will be £95 (£80 for MIDAS students). 

All details will go onto the MIDAS website and Facebook next week.

Before booking my mum wanted to know how long the classes and and what time they are- the numbers of students that will be in the classes and levels? She was also surprised at the price but I'm going to try and convince her to let me go to atleast one!

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to remind everyone of the 3 days in Birmingham this August - each day will start at 9am and end at 4pm. Currently take-up has been slow, particularly for the two more ballet oriented days, which is disappointing. I'd hoped that there were more keen aspiring ballet dancers who'd like to learn from these amazing teachers!

A reminder of the dates and teachers:

August 18th: Rebecca Davies, Ashleigh Ross and 'Trainer' Tye present - "Power up", "Turn it up" and "Flip out!"

August 19th: Daniel Jones and Kei Akahoshi (ENB) - ballet technique class, virtuosity (multiple turns, high leaps and other impressive feats), boys work, pointe/demi pointe and classical repertoire.

August 20th: Jenna Lee (formerly ENB, Now JLee productions, independent artist, Flawless Dance Co) - ballet technique class,  workshops fusing classical ballet and other dance styles encouraging dancers to develop their choreographic skills

Application forms can be downloaded from www.midas-dance.org.uk

DrDance, my DD will be attending the two more ballet focused days and is really hoping there will be enough take up to make the days viable. I have shared the details on Facebook to try and interest some of her friends but I think the cost is putting them off. We can manage it as my DD is not doing a residential SS this year but I do think the cost could be a factor putting many people off. Personally I think the teachers are more than worth the fee and DD will feel privileged to take class with them. 

• Like 1

To be honest, there probably needs to be a little more information. I have no idea who Rebecca Davies et al are and am slightly put off by the idea of learning acrobatic tricks as a serious ballet dancer. Daniel Jones sounds good, but it sounds as if the day is geared towards boys as it appears to focus on virtuosity, leaps, turns etc. Jenna Lee sounds like she could help the serious female advanced ballet dancer improve her technique but then there is a focus on fusion and choreography, which sounds like a bit of fun, but probably not worth paying out £95 for! Also, there is no indication as to levels - will it be 8-18 yr olds all in the same class? If not, how will these teachers be split across the day and will I get value for money.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh - it's not meant that way - I am just giving my first impression of what I have read as someone unfamiliar with your school and the master class leaders. I'm not sure you've really identified your target market if I'm honest. For £95 I would be looking for some very serious classical ballet training with a very credible, highly renowned teacher. To put it into perspective, this is only marginally less than the cost of a full day's training AND board/food at RBS summer school.

Thank you for your feedback. The teachers' fee for a whole days classes is a lot of money (lets say, more than £350 but less than £450), and is studio hire for a whole day at a facility such as Midlands Arts Centre is over £100. Then there's insurance and potentially accommodation for our guest teachers.

What would parents be prepared to pay for a days' classes with professional dancers? Perhaps we could adjust the price if this is putting people off (and of course refund anyone who's already paid in full!)

The day with Rebecca Davies is targeted at students who participate in competitions, who are all-rounders and want to improve their strength and flexibility. As Picturesinthefirelight says, it's definitely a more 'dance moms' type style than we have in this country. I learned a lot about conditioning from Rebecca and I'm personally very excited to learn more from her. For this day, Rebecca likes all ages of students to work together and is confident that she can differentiate to accommodate all. There will be 3 teachers and multiple studios available to split into groups if needed.

The day with Daniel Jones and Kei Akahoshi will be purely classical ballet - technique classes, then boys and girls can choose to spend extra time on pirouettes and virtuosity or pointe/demi pointe work, there will also be repertoire. 

The day with Jenna Lee will begin with a classical technique class, and then there will be opportunities to learn some of the work she has choreographed for English National Ballet, before taking that work and adding to it, manipulating it and creating something different from it. The 'fusion' and 'choreography' will not be 'a bit of fun' - choreographic skills are highly valued by vocational schools and companies. Students at the Royal Ballet School are encouraged to develop their choreography skills - I'm sure they don't call it "just a bit of fun". Incidentally, Jenna choreographed the Citroen advert featuring dancers and Arsenal football players, and works with Natalia Kremen at her school in London. Ms Lee's sessions will be assisted by MIDAS staff.

Both of the 'ballet' days will have at least two student levels - hopefully 3 if there are sufficient students. 

• Like 3

Drdance, I also thought prices were a little high but then I think people always want something for nothing nowadays and I understand that your costs must be very high, but for me I have to think of the travel costs (none driver) and then what I will do with my none dancing children whilst dd is there which will no doubt cost me more money, so something that starts out as £95 ends up costing me in excess of £150 and although it's not your problem to think about these things i.e other children, travel, food etc it is a major factor to potential applicants. :)

Hi Drdance for a day course I look to not spend more than £90 to include travel and food (packed lunch). I think that the courses spread over a week are usually better value for money but I do see that your costs are high. It really is a juggling act for all - I hope that it won't offend, but my suggestion( and budget) would be a £75 fee for the day,with travel and food costs on top.

edited to add this will still be a +100 day but does sound very special :)

Edited by Kat09
  • Like 2

Sorry Dr Dance but you have just exemplified my point about understanding and listening to your target market. Regardless of the value that you personally place on developing choreography, or whether it is encouraged at vocational schools, the reality for us is that it is 'a bit of fun'.

My DD and 99% of her friends recognise the value of choreographic training but ultimately they want to dance and they will be selected for schools/ companies on the basis of their classical ballet skills, so given that they have limited money, they have to choose where to spend £95 for maximum benefit, and it would be on improving their classical skills.

Great importance is placed on choreographic classes at vocational school. It is a regular part of their weekly training and will usually culminate in an annual competition. Some DD and DS outside of these institutions may be lucky enough to go to a local school that also has a choregraphic competition others may not. So a workshop like this one may be of great interest to a DC who want to learn more about such things.

• Like 2

Hi everyone thank you again for your feedback - it is very useful to hear what people are looking for and what people value in their additional training and I will take all the feedback on board.

Ribbons thank you for your feedback regarding Ms Lee's day. Personally I still think it's valuable but I can understand why others who are very focused on perfecting their technique might not place the same amount of value there.

• Like 1

Sadly these classes clash with the lovely Harpenden summer school which dd hates to miss, but otherwise she would have been very interested in the Daniel Jones/Kei Akahoshi class; in particular the pointework and repertoire.

In terms of prices; for non-residential class £50-65 would be the max I could afford for one day, bearing in mind travel costs from Herts to Birmingham (and possibly accommodation the night before). Wells Masterclasses at the ROH are around £55 IIRC and I think the ENBS audition workshop is similarly priced. I know ENBS don't have studio hire costs though and the Wells class is not a full day, but then ROH studio hire may be higher than Birmingham rates.

The trouble is that with local classes, two lots of Associate fees, summer schools etc I have to set a limit on what I could pay for dd's extra classes like Masterclasses otherwise we'd be living in a box. :-)

It must be tricky trying to get pricing right, drdance; I don't envy you!

Thanks Spannerandpony - I'm sure most of you on here know I simply have a passion for good dance training and giving young people opportunities. I'm not in it to make money at all but obviously costs have to be covered.

Thank you again for your feedback regarding prices. I have now reduced the two ballet days down to £70 each or £125 for both which is a significant reduction - I hope enough people can now apply to make it viable and worth running, for the sake of the teachers and those who have already committed to it.

(Obviously anyone who's already paid in full will be refunded.)

• Like 5

I hope it's a great success Dr Dance - your reputation for health & well-being of dancers together with your passion for teaching strong technique is recognised by many of us.

If DD wasn't already doing NYB we would be signing up - you have some great guest artists involved :)

I'm sure those that can attend will benefit hugely and have a great time.

• Like 3