Classical tutu

Dancingdaisy3

Any tutu makers in the Somerset/south west area? I need a tutu for the end of June would this be to short notice? I have never ordered a made to measure tutu before and I have no idea much in advance it would need to be ordered.

Thanks

Hi my wife owns a shop called Charades Dancewear in Wolverhampton and they make fantastic bespoke Tutu's if I do say myself! lol they have a website Charadesdancewear.co.uk with lots of pictures of tutus and costumes previously made. They make tutu's for girls all over the uk so distance is not a problem. If you are interested please feel free to give my wife Lisa a call on 01902 621122 if you mention the BalletCoForum she has said she will give you a discount on Tutus or any other dancewear you need!

My dd (11) has a fabulous tutu made by tutusbykaren.co.uk (no relation!) Karen was brilliant - we sent measurements as directed (very clear to follow) and made a selection from the pictures on her web site. We had a combination of designs which was no problem.She sourced fabric in my daughter's choice of colour and it was exactly what she had asked for. The tutu is beautifully made with 3 rows of eyes for the hooks to allow for growth. I am not at all talented at sewing, but a friend who is has told me that the tutu is correctly made - I think the term she used is that the skirt is 'hung' on the bodice. The skirt is pancake pleated net and has remained perfectly flat over time. Karen is friendly, easy to work with and met all the agreed timescales. Prices are extremely reasonable. I received pictures of the tutu before being aksed for payment and it then arrived special delivery the next day. Karen has made other costumes for dd and my experience has been exactly the same. I would not hesitiate to recommend her. :)

• Like 2

Hi - I have been following this forum for a while now and this is my first post. It is great and I have learnt some very interesting things! Karen (tutusbykaren.co.uk) also made my daughters first festival tutu a couple of years ago. All communication was done via email (measurements etc) and she posted fabric and decoration samples for my daughter to see. The finished result was absolutely beautiful very reasonably priced! Although she has now outgrown it, it has kept it's flat pancake shape and still looks like new! I would definately recomment her too!

• Like 2

Dancemadad,this is music to my ears..you're lovely wife Lisa fitted my daughters first pointe shoes in December and was so helpful....was so patient and i would highly reccomend..i had no idea there was a dress making service...my DD daughter needs a classical tutu for July so will pop across on Saturday to the shop ..ive been searching the internet for 2 weeks to find someone would could make on as with all our DD she is very petite for her age...many thanks for posting this information...i love this site .its so helpful to me

Hi everyone, this is my first post so hope it works!

I make tutu's and am reading this thread with great interest. B)

All of my tutu's have between 30 to 40 hours work in them and the materials are not cheap. I'm not going to share my costs with you but I will say that if worked out on an hourly basis, very few people would be prepared to work for the sum I do. It is a skill that is not paid in any way what its worth, very much like Floristry, my other interest. I guess I'm not destined to be rich!

I do however, always have a waiting list so its nice to be popular. :D

Happy tutu hunting

• Like 3

And if anyone fancies learning how to make a tutu, I have been told of the following summer course which is being run in Nottingham - rather pricey for most, and I definitely won't be enrolling as I am a hopeless seamstress, but it may be of interest to some....

http://www.hotcourses.com/uk-courses/Tutu-Making-courses/page_pls_user_course_details/16180339/0/w/53293616/page.htm

Loulabelle- I totally appreciate how much time and work it takes to make a tutu, I have made a couple for my DD. They have taken many hours and a lot of stress. I wish I had more time to sew as no matter the stress and saying I would never do that again it is addictive. Unfortunately life has got in the way.

I can make leotards so easy compared to tutu's which I can also do but don't seem to turn out well, if I ever hear about that *!*!*! red tutu again I may scream.

Getting stuff which is different for boys has always been difficult very few shops do anything for them.

Does anyone know anyone who makes leotards?? DS would'nt really appreciate a tutu :D

Oh flip - completely forgot to ask her - we were busy having a bit of a catch up - but I'll try to remember when we speak again (soon, because I'll have to pick up some items from her that she's adjusted for my son!)